Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Alloycars looking for opinions

Hello all, my name is Ozzie and I own Alloycars, we now specialize in exact 100 point, blueprint, re-creations of the Porsche Spyder 550. We got our start making Aluminum Bodied Cobras. As a result we have several bodies on the shelf and have taken some orders for C6 Corvette powered cars. the simple questions is: what you guys and girls (Purist aside) think about an aluminum bodied Cobra/roadster with the following specs:

$80,00 ready to drive
Aluminum hand hammered body
LS2 or LS3 power with corresponding manual transaxle 400-600HP on tap
all suspension and brakes from the C6
325 tires on the rear as on the Z06
Side pipes
A bit more legroom in the cockpit thanks to the transaxle (rear transmission)
Halibrand style wheels
Leather interior on alum seats
Optional Aluminm head rest or rollbars
may even install a sleeker laid down head light to modernize the front end.
You'll see pics fo a polished car delivered long ago as well as 14 aluminum bodies waiting to be built and one of our recreation Porsches in the build process

I personally love the car and everything about the durability/performance of the LS2-3 engine. And for those that know the dimensions, yes the Chassis is built to fit the cobra wheel base and width so from a distance this car looks like any other aluminum cobra on the road. I know that purists will not approve but there must be some of you who like this kind of out of the box approach. I wonder how many of you there are.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2010, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default We need pictures!

Sounds very interesting. I am a "purist" when it comes to the outward appearance of a Cobra. The look that spawned a hundred thousand replicas has a lot to do with the popularity of the car and there is a lot more to it than a couple of round headlights, a big oval mouth, bulging fenders and sidepipes. When it comes to drivetrain and suspension, I side with the Shelby approach: use what is available and works well.

I would love to see some pictures of a finished Cobra so we can assess the overall look, proportions and stance. Any driving impressions and performance specs? For the true purists, can you offer a bare body/chassis that could be finished with a "correct" blue oval drivetrain?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 04-17-2010, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I'm with Buzz on this one......
Old 04-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will send you some pics of one of our bodies finished on a tube frame. As mentioned, the look from the outside is identical only differences are in the suspension, sound and of course under the hood. the car we sent to belgium was fitted with twin turbos and oh my God!!!! I believe output was in the 650 area and I would almost say it was dangerous. No somthing to drive on a wet road for sure. I believe it weighed in at around 1800 lbs dry according to the owner upon registration in EU.

I suppose if you intended to use the C6 suspesnion and chassis, we would have to modify the cradle to take your ford engine. the biggest challenge is the tranmission, as the transaxle sits snug in the back end of the car. The C6 transaxle/transmission would should stay, the torque tube would also have to remain. The torque tube connects the engine to the transaxle and serves as a tunnel for the drive shaft. I will post some pics of the body on a tube chassis in a few minutes if I can get it so shrink to fit the size requirements.

Last edited by alum550; 04-17-2010 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Adding more pics
Old 04-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Here are the pics (some anyway)

Here you can see the alum polished car on a tube frame and there are also some pics of a finished car using our body but not finsihed by us. this is the body we are using the C6 projects. Open to your opinions
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2010, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm a huge fan of 550's and didn't buy one a few years back because I couldn't find one that was as accurate as I wanted. I'm also one of the originality freaks, so for me the Cobra would have to be as close to original as possible. It's got to be Ford powered.
Sure looks like a nice product just not for me.
Now having Porsche blood in my veins, I might be interested in a 550 at some point in the future though!
Larry
Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech CSX 3016 Sebring Clone.460 BB.4 Sp Toploader .Hilibrand Racing Magnesium Wheels.soon 427 SO aerea correct ! Block
Not Ranked     

I'm with Larry on the Regarding the Cobra the interior is a no go for me . !! Love to get more info on the Aluminum Spider , such a car is on my list ....

Hi-Tech CSX 3016 Sebring Clone
4.sp Toploader,42 gal Alu Fuel Cell,Secondary Fuel Pump,All Aluminum panels.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Since you have several bodies that you want to do something with, are the bodies alone for sale?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Spyder 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
I'm a huge fan of 550's and didn't buy one a few years back because I couldn't find one that was as accurate as I wanted. I'm also one of the originality freaks, so for me the Cobra would have to be as close to original as possible. It's got to be Ford powered.
Sure looks like a nice product just not for me.
Now having Porsche blood in my veins, I might be interested in a 550 at some point in the future though!
Larry
We have two 550's in the works right now. Both are Blueprint cars, one will have a 4 cam supplied by the owner and the other is waiting for an engine option from buyer. If you really serious about one you'd be welcomed in my shop to see first hand while the cars are still here under construction. If you have a chance to visit our website you will have a slightly better understanding of what we are doing in connection with the 550's. I don't know if posting a bunch of 550 pics here will be too far off topic. If you want pics of the car(s) please email, or call me. www.alloycars.com

Thank you

Last edited by alum550; 04-17-2010 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 04-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Aluminum Spyder 550 details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
I'm with Larry on the Regarding the Cobra the interior is a no go for me . !! Love to get more info on the Aluminum Spider , such a car is on my list ....
Kasi, you are welcome to call me for details regarding the Spyder. 813-655-8470
Old 04-17-2010, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech CSX 3016 Sebring Clone.460 BB.4 Sp Toploader .Hilibrand Racing Magnesium Wheels.soon 427 SO aerea correct ! Block
Not Ranked     

Ozzie
How much is the car more or less without Engine .

Hi-Tech CSX 3016 Sebring Clone
4.sp Toploader,42 gal Alu Fuel Cell,Secondary Fuel Pump,All Aluminum panels.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Ozzie
How much is the car more or less without Engine .
I assume you mean the 550. Everything minus engine and trans is $120K. There are a number of options that can easily add to this cost, examples include original steering wheel, original brakes (as opposed to 356 for example) in the case of a 4 cam engine option you would also have to have the correct underbelly and oil cooling system. The interior would be in a Porsche correct vinyl but not basket weave. For no upcharge can substitute with leather. The details list can be long but all included in the price.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Going back to Cobra subject

Please don't be discouraged from replying with your thoughts about the C6 power questions I posted originally. I am still interested in knowing what the friendly cobra fans here think about this. If anyone is interested in knowing about our Spyders you are welcome to email me directly at alloycars@verizon.net or call me at 813-655-8470 so as not to clutter this thread with unrelated stuff.

Thank you

Ozzie
Old 04-17-2010, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ozzie, I just checked out your website and I am really impressed! (that's not easy to do either) The 550 is really spot on as you say. I may be interested at some point but too many irons in the fire right now.
(I have the site saved though)

Have you thought about doing a Cobra with the same zest for originality? I know you like the C6 and it's a great platform but a lot of us are into the "as-close-to-original" Cobra stuff as we can get.
An accurate aluminum body that would go on an original style, customer supplied frame, might be a hit.
Anyway, it's just a thought.
Larry
Old 04-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ozzie, I just checked out your website and I am really impressed! (that's not easy to do either) The 550 is really spot on as you say. I may be interested at some point but too many irons in the fire right now.
(I have the site saved though)

Have you thought about doing a Cobra with the same zest for originality? I know you like the C6 and it's a great platform but a lot of us are into the "as-close-to-original" Cobra stuff as we can get.
An accurate aluminum body that would go on an original style, customer supplied frame, might be a hit.
Anyway, it's just a thought.
Larry
It just seems(ed) like the Cobra market was close to flooded and the good guys in Utah had the alum segment covered and well at that. Would I be opposed to it? no! Fact is I have these 14 bodies from an early stage in our business that I'd have to sell first. the better question is why someone would not simply buy the body from Kirkham. they are original copies and fit original frames don't they? I think they're pretty cheap too. We make everything with a hammer and they stamp their stuff so the cost/time difference is hard to justify. Anyways, would be glad to help anyone interested in a re-body.

Thank you
Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I'll be honest. I've seen a few glass replica, with Chevy engines. Nice cars. Not my thing, but I try not to hurt someones feeling. However I find the V10 Viper, the turbo V6, and a Hemi quite interesting, because they are quite different (my hat is off to them). I even started out thinking of a Modular 4.6 ltr ford. It doesn't bother me in a glass car, as it is a replica.

However since you asked and you need honest feedback to make sound buisness decisions, I'll be truthfull. If I walked up to a stunning aluminum Cobra to find a Corvette drive train, I would have the same reaction as to finding out a stunning woman in a bar is a cross dresser. I would walk away and keep my thoughts to myself.

I think you will find many positive comments on the car, but darn few of this crowd would actually shell out those type of bucks to have a cross dresser, when they can own an aluminum body, that is near origonal only better, for the same money. Do some searches of guys selling glass cars with Chevy engines. You will see they sell for less money and take longer to sell. I suspect the new owners swap out the drive train for a Ford many times.

Also if you are considering changing the styling of the head lights, you really do not understand this market.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

I believe the aluminum cobra niche is well covered by Kirkham. They are not just "stamping out" bodies. They are a superb high tech engineering oriented machine shop that painstakingly reproduces original replacement nuts, bolts, - every aspect of a car. The 550 is really well done. You might take a close look at a wider appealing niche market in the Porsche arena - the 356 - both convertible and coupe. Now that would be nice!! Right now I believe the 'quality' end of the 356 production is limited to glass cars (like Beck). And as far as a cobra 1). with chevy power - I personally wouldn't even look at it let alone buy one and 2). change the headlights??? If I wanted a Miata I would get one. That AC body, inspired by the 1946 Ferrari Barchetta (spelling??), is superb - perhaps the nicest looking car ever built - and you would slope the headlights? Why not add tail fins??

Last edited by Rickd; 04-18-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Old 04-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd View Post
I believe the aluminum cobra niche is well covered by Kirkham. They are not just "stamping out" bodies. They are a superb high tech engineering oriented machine shop that painstakingly reproduces original replacement nuts, bolts, - every aspect of a car. The 550 is really well done. You might take a close look at a wider appealing niche market in the Porsche arena - the 356 - both convertible and coupe. Now that would be nice!! Right now I believe the 'quality' end of the 356 production is limited to glass cars (like Beck). And as far as a cobra 1). with chevy power - I personally wouldn't even look at it let alone buy one and 2). change the headlights??? If I wanted a Miata I would get one. That AC body, inspired by the 1946 Ferrari Barchetta (spelling??), is superb - perhaps the nicest looking car ever built - and you would slope the headlights? Why not add tail fins??

Yes this is exactly what I was refering to regarding Kirkham. They have the alum cobra down to a science. They stamp the bodies and as a result are smooth, accurate and fast to turn around. My bodies are hand hammered (not by choice) becasue we are a low volume outfit. If I thought I could sell enough of any one model I would choose stamping the body sections!
The slanted more modern headlight was a request/suggestion from a European customer who also asked about making the front clip a flip up. To access the engine bay. For you the customer I will build what you want as long as I can use the bodies I already have on the shelf (minor mods OK). Keep in mind that I will put a batman wing on the car if the buyer requests/pays for it. Please disregard the option if it bothers you but if you want it I can put it on.

Thank you and all who have replied. Keep em coming! I hope you understand what I am trying to do here!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah, you are probably right about Kirkham. Hard to beat them for cost though I don't know what they sell their bodies for.

Just wondering Ozzie, where/what did you copy your Cobra bodies from or is that a trade secret? They look fairly accurate from photo's.
Larry
Old 04-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yeah, you are probably right about Kirkham. Hard to beat them for cost though I don't know what they sell their bodies for.

Just wondering Ozzie, where/what did you copy your Cobra bodies from or is that a trade secret? They look fairly accurate from photo's.
Larry
Larry, our molds came from some un-named kit body that was available (never assembled) at the time. The then owner and mold maker did not care to verify. So it is not a secret just ingnorance.

If it matters and to answer the earlier question of "how much for the body?" I would sell the bodies for about $15,000 each if anyone is interested.
If you bring me your roller/chassis I will intall it for a small fee. Any subframes or supports needed to attach to your car will be free.

Thanks Ozzie

Last edited by alum550; 04-18-2010 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Closed Thread