14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Market survey, engine combinations wanted

We have always built engines to suite each customers needs and wants, not just cookie cutter engines. I want to do a little market research here and see what you guys would like to see on the market.
Like a lot of products you get what you pay for. We will not sacrifice our product and name to compete with lesser expensive engines that have low quality parts. We try to choose the parts that will do the job in the engine that they are being selected for. You can go over board and spend money that you do not have to in some cases.
In this business everybody wants a great engine with a warranty that cost as little as possible. Having a problem with your engine is no fun and going through the process of getting it fixed can be a pain in the ass with these insurance companies. We have pretty much just handled any problems we have had with individual customer as they all may vary a little.
With that said be careful of these 2 and 3 year warranties because most are issued by an insurance company by the builder and cost them about 100.00 to 200.00. They have a limited pay out with most having a 3000.00 max pay out.
Back to the engine packages needed. I know that there are some less expensive engines out there with cast pistons, flat tappet camshaft, stock oil pan, out of the box heads and such. Ford Racing has some of these kinds of packages and we want to know if we need to look into a few budget minded engines. Just checking the waters.
Remember you can buy a name but is the name involved in anything to do with your engine. When you deal with us I have probably worked on some part of your engine. I do all of the cylinder head development in the shop and run all of the CNC heads.
Remember you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get. I have seen so many people in the USA and out of the country get burned by several of these bargain shops that have popped up in the last few years.
Thanks for your input on this matter and we will see what we can do.

Thanks, Keith Craft
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 powerdyne supercharged
Not Ranked     

Hello Keith,

To start off I do not own a cobra. I plan on getting one next summer when I have enough cash.

I've checked out your website and if I decide to go the 'build my own' route I will choose the FE390 that you offer in the neighborhood of 11.9k.

If you offered the same FE390 that was a little bit more mild for less I would consider that.

Not sure if this helps or not.

Regards,

Carl
Old 04-23-2010, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I am thinking of putting together a less expensive stroker 390 FE stroker package that would produce about 500HP for less than 10,000.00 or there about.

Thanks, Keith
Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I don't know anything about engine decisions such as cast vs forged pistons. I would want an engine that has the most inexpensive parts that are reliable and will last. It would also be helpful to know what is the real difference going to be between two options when deciding? Will the forged pistons last longer (how much longer?) or just produce a little more HP (How much HP?) I suspect these questions cost a lot of money to answer analytically.

That said, many people buy a Cobra with options and it is clear they don't care what it costs. They hear brand X is the "best" and that is what they want to buy. I'm not sure I would have bought the engine I have, but the previous owner wanted that engine. Unfortunately, your business model has to make you money. I wouldn't be surprised if you could make more money just by offering a beautiful brushed aluminum package with 427 Cobra on the valve covers. Clearly, your customer service reputation gets around on the CC site so that has to be emphasized too.

Thanks for asking,
Old 04-24-2010, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Hi Keith - this is Dan up in Sherwood with the ERA your going to build the motor for. You might also post something similar over on the Factory Five Racing site. A lot of the guys here seem to be into the original FE series motors or new aluminum block motors, with a good number with 351 combinations too. On the FFR site, as you've probably noticed, there are probably 3 or 4 or 5 times as many members over there and for the most part they gravitate towards the 302/351 series motors.

Dan
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02423 KCR 445W 611hp 599ft lbs
Not Ranked     

Keith..I would like to see top end packages and their dyno results. Top end packages including heads, intake, cam. Maybe throw in a carb on the side. Many of us already have short blocks just need proven accessories.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

hi keith/shelly
a budget 390 is a good idea, would not necessarily have to be stroked. a 396 or 406 cube package with a mild hydraulic cam may sell well. for average resto-mods, mustang, fairlane, thunderbird owners. alum heads and just a good street durable motor. offer a 12 and 12 warranty, with stipulations, hard to control the install is the problem with warranty.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

You have to be careful with lower priced builds as they can come back to bite you in regards to your reputation.

Sometimes the person buying the lower end build is not happy that it performs the same as the high end build. And believe me, there are people like that. And no matter how many times you tell them the differences, they don't listen.

When I was young and could not always afford the best, I would buy the cheap item and then would not be happy with it. But I was smart enough to realize what I had done, and not blame the product. Always ended up selling the cheap item for a loss and then saving up until I could afford what I really wanted.

Good luck to you no matter what you decide.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Keith, I say cater to the elite build. Remember, you're trying to cut back....
Old 04-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Keith, I say cater to the elite build. Remember, you're trying to cut back....
Well, I would like a reasonably priced SOHC engine with Bill Coon heads and Pond block. At $40K, most cannot afford it. Unfortunately, I know I'm asking too much of you, since a) parts are expensive and b) you must make a profit.