Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Color Viewpoints Wanted

Ok... I'm planning my build for a Unique 427 SC. I'm very aware many won't like my color combo being considered.... but I value everyone’s comments and viewpoint. I've shown this to many "non-Cobra" owners, painters, etc. All like it very much and no naysayers. But the real test is with all of you. I'll most likely paint my Cobra Ferrari Light Yellow, with white wide strips. I based this on a photo I first saw (see attached). You’ll note this car also had narrow white strips. Then I saw on the cover of Cobra Guide 2008 a third color introduced and I thought I'd make the narrow strips red. But I was very concerned on look….. so I made a mock-up and painted it to replicate the Cobra strips at the front (1:1 scale ~7.5” wide with a ½” narrow strip)…. Went off to Lowe’s to buy some plywood, the brightest high gloss yellow latex they had, ultra white trim paint and red electrical tape the attached pictures show the result. This serves the purpose well. And lastly, note in the Yellow Cobra picture with the man leaning on it and the red team strips coming from the hood opening area over the top of the fenders and ending in the wheel well. Again, I like it…. But concerned it’s too much??? I'm now leaning towards two wide white SC race strips and the 2 red over the front fender team color strips.

I'm not trying to please everyone.... but truly want to make an informed decision based on as much input as I can get. So speak up… pro or con. Thanks Much, Mark
Attached Images

Last edited by mkassab; 01-10-2011 at 07:30 AM..
Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
Ok... I'm planning my build for a Unique 427 SC. I'm very aware many won't like my color combo being considered.... but I value everyone’s comments and viewpoint. I've shown this to many "non-Cobra" owners, painters, etc. All like it very much and no naysayers. But the real test is with all of you. I'll most likely paint my Cobra Ferrari Light Yellow, with white wide strips. I based this on a photo I first saw (see attached). You’ll note this car also had narrow white strips. Then I saw on the cover of Cobra Guide 2008 a third color introduced and I thought I'd make the narrow strips red. But I was very concerned on look….. so I made a mock-up and painted it to replicate the Cobra strips at the front (1:1 scale ~7.5” wide with a ½” narrow strip)…. Went off to Lowe’s to buy some plywood, the brightest high gloss yellow latex they had, ultra white trim paint and red electrical tape the attached pictures show the result. This serves the purpose well. And lastly, note in the Yellow Cobra picture with the man leaning on it and the red team strips coming from the hood opening area over the top of the fenders and ending in the wheel well. Again, I like it…. But concerned it’s too much??? I'm now leaning towards two wide white SC race strips and the 2 red over the front fender team color strips.

I'm not trying to please everyone.... but truly want to make an informed decision based on as much input as I can get. So speak up… pro or con. Thanks Much, Mark

if it makes you happy and you are pleased with your decision, who are we to question it.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I like the clean look of the white stripes without the thin red stripe. Just way too much going on with the addition of the think red stripe. I don't like team or rookie stripes on any car. Just my personal opinion, but like Bill said you need to be happy with it.

Good luck with choice Mark!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

Color choice.

Most of the car manufacturers have design studios in LA. Over the years, I haver been sponsored by two of them, Mitsubishi and Mazda, and have had the privilege of working with them on a few race car bodies, inside their skunk works studios where the security is as good as the CIA I would bet.

The take away I was always left with is that every car has that one perfect color that makes it "pop" where no matter who you are, you look at it and say wow that's beautiful. Put a different color in it and still may look great, but still something is lost.

Having said that, all the design guys also will tell you that once in a while a body shape comes along that is just right with the world and no matter what color you put on it, it works, all angles, night and day, all the time.

Harley motorcycles in general and AC Cars (Cobras) are two of the best examples of getting a design right and not screwing around with it so they look great in about any color, maybe even any color.

So, paint the thing whatever you feel passionate about. Paint it something that pleases you when you look at it and put your hands on it. In the end don't let someone talk you into anything you don't really feel good about. No matter what you choose, it's going to be beautiful in the eye of the beholder rolling or sitting, and it won't make any difference what color you choose and long as you love it.

That will be specially true when you let it go in 2nd gear for the first time. You will never be the same and will know you chose the right color at that moment, once the blood gets back to your brain again.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good advice my friend! Mark
Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Good advice has been given. I am a yellow fan and you asked for our opinion so here goes. I have always liked yellow but have never had a yellow vehicle. Not just yellow, but the right yellow, that his hard to find. I am building my car and gave up on yellow becasue all the ones I saw were not that right yellow. You may have found just the right yellow. The one that makes you feel good. That being said I agree with Doug. No on the red stripes.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

For me the yellow with white stripes only, no red stripes.

I like yellow also but the yellow that I like is very pale. Almost to the point of it being white with a yellow tint just enough to call it yellow. But thats just me.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I owned a Sunfire Yellow '66 Corvette and I like yellow, but yellow is a polarizing color. Either you like it or you don't. I like it.

I'm not a big fan of the pin stripes going the length of the car, but I really like team stripes. Red looks good and you may want to try black too.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

I agree with everyone who says to go with whatever you like. But you did ask for an opinion and I personally don't like the red stripe. It draws too much attention away (see pic) from the beautiful yellow & white paint job. If anything go with a very thin, subtle red stripe (my 2 cents).
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

I like the whole thing. Rookie stripes and all. Maybe I like it because Ive seen so many cobras now that I am beginning to like the more obscure colors. I also have taken a liking to the black with red stripes, which is completely unconventional. You really cant paint a cobra a bad color, its like putting burlap on a hot chick. She's still going to be hot. Only thing to consider is resale value, you may lose a little there.

I for one have gone out on a limb and got a blue one LOL.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

btw, the bright light yellow Ferrari non metallic Giallo Modena (FLYellow ) PPG 4305, 84028 FER 102
Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

The thin red line along the white stripe....
Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     
Wink

Honestly yellow is not my favorite but the one i like best is the one with the rookie stripes and no red stripes on the hood. As someone said, certain colors look better on certain cars. I do think that if you go with yellow that you should go with the high polish rims, watch the black accents or you will wind up looking like a bumble bee, That being said it will look nice in yellow so if you like it go for it, you are the ones that needs to be happy.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

Of course I am partial to the yellow, but I would drop the red stripe and put the red in the engine bay somehow if you are truly hellbent on some red. I like the yellow, white and black side pipes and interior.

I also have dark grey wheels

Last edited by BlueRooster; 04-28-2010 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanten View Post
Honestly yellow is not my favorite but the one i like best is the one with the rookie stripes and no red stripes on the hood. As someone said, certain colors look better on certain cars. I do think that if you go with yellow that you should go with the high polish rims, watch the black accents or you will wind up looking like a bumble bee, That being said it will look nice in yellow so if you like it go for it, you are the ones that needs to be happy.
What's wrong with a "bumble bee"?

Personally, as you can see, I like yellow. It's not an original color, but then it's not an original car, so I went with what I like. And I like things that are different.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

I'm a fan of yellow and repainted my SPF with a custom shade that took me the better part of a day to get "just right".

The red, not so much.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX7076, 289 FI
Not Ranked     

Hey Mark,

I like the yellow with white stripes, but not a fan of the red accents. I do like rookie/team stripes, but I think those should be more centered on the wheel well.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I have looked at so many paint choices. I love the variety people use. Many colors I would not choose, but I still appreciate the look. Through all my searching I have come to one conclusion. These cars are such a work of art, to much detracts! KISS method does apply here. If you want people to look at your paint keep the strips. But if you want them to see the car, lose them.

Just another opinion.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy; 04-28-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Old 04-28-2010, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the Flyellow, in fact you should look at Mustang yellows, Ford did all they could to duplicate the Flyellow a few years back. It was very nice also, and probably cheaper. I don't like the thin bits of yellow between the white and red stipes, probably because the closeness in value. It starts to like like a polo shirt. I would experiment with 1 wide white with red pinstripe to punch out the white (with no yellow between white and red)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is a 'Chrome Yellow' Cobra with a 4.6 engine at our Saturday morning get-togethers with GREEN stripes.

Please DONT paint your Cobra yellow with green stripes.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!