Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Driving thru Frisco Aug 25

I am heading to the WSCG/SAAC event in August. I will be driving up the 101. My question is: Should I stay on 101 thru to Frisco, or get off 101 at Route 85/280, head north, then cut back over to 101 thru Frisco across the Golden Gate, and on the 101 to Petaluma? I will be in the Bay Area sometime Wednesday afternoon on the 25th.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

First off, drive fast if you call it "Frisco" while you're anywhere near the Bay Area.

The 85 to 280 drive is much nicer than the 101. You have two options when get to SF. Take 19th Ave to the GG Bridge (has a bunch of stop lights) or merge back on to 101. I'd say just go 19th Ave through GG Park to the GG Bridge.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
First off, drive fast if you call it "Frisco" while you're anywhere near the Bay Area.

The 85 to 280 drive is much nicer than the 101. You have two options when get to SF. Take 19th Ave to the GG Bridge (has a bunch of stop lights) or merge back on to 101. I'd say just go 19th Ave through GG Park to the GG Bridge.
Frisco? Thems fightin' words, where I come from.

Definitely 85/280/19th Avenue/GG Bridge. More scenic and relaxing than 101, though less gas stops.

If you fight with truckers and traffic, then 880/80/Richmond/San Rafael Bridge depending on where you're coming from.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

First, no insult intended here at all as I'm a Texas boy, but been in the Bay Area for over 30 years now, so I have learned a few things.

Don't refer to San Francisco as Frisco while you are here, the folks here don't like that for whatever reason. Locally, it's shortened to San Fran or "The City" as in "going to the City". Small thing but just some local color I suppose.

Your drive. You have lots of other choices. The very best, if you have the time is to get over Highway 1 (coast highway) asap and just roll. Pacific ocean to your left with some of the best scenery in the world, depending on where you connect with 1. Very windy and lots of hills, or if you are from the flatlands, they will look like "mountains". If you are towing, it won't be much fun.

A close second choice is 280 as you suggested, all the way up, drops you onto 19th avenue through the City, and takes you over the Golden Gate Bridge to start your run to Sears Point, or for the moment Infineon is writing the checks so that's what it's called. The 280 drive is absolutely beautiful, easy on the car and non-stop until you get to the City.

19th Avenue through the City is a bit rough on a Cobra if that is what you will be in. Otherwise it's OK enough and as as good as any way to get through to the other side of the bay. It's just busy, stop lights on every corner but a pretty straight shot out of town and over the bridge. Once you get over the Golden Gate, and through the tunnel, you will be in the Marin County, Sausalito area. Hard to put this area into words, just imagine some European high rent district on the Mediterrian and you will be close. Absolutely beautiful and lots to see and do. Then just follow your map or gps to the track from there. You still have a ways to go, but it's easy running from there.

Some my suggest an East Bay route that will start with a turn off of 101 onto 680 in the San Jose area. And that can work as well, just not as pretty of a drive in my opinion, but it's still all northern California all the way and not bad. Stop at the Blackhawk Museum in the Walnut Creek area. Amazing cars and facility. Last time I was there it only cost $8 bucks and was worth every penny.

Word of warning. SF can be cold in August. So, pretty warm on your way up 101 or 280, then turns cold at the City, then back HOT as you get closer to the race track. Micro climates everywhere, within a few miles of each other, but it makes it interesting. Nights are going to be cool to cold, no matter where you are in that area. Bring a jacket you will need it.

But it's northern California and a pretty drive is relative. It's kind of hard to find an ugly drive in this area, they are all pretty breathtaking if it's your first time.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #773, 482 stroker, cross ram stack injection
Not Ranked     

There's two location names that are revered in California. The City, and The Lake. Two of the most scenic locations anywhere...
Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the good information; it's well appreciated!

I guess I should leave my blue Dodgers cap and blue Dodgers windbreaker at home, huh? LOL !!!

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just realized my Cobra that I will be driving thru "The City" is blue with white stripes...I just hope the Giants are out of town that weekend!!! lol !!!

I get over 17 MPG with my Cobra while freeway driving, so the prettier the scenery, the better!

Last edited by Sharroll Celby; 04-30-2010 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: add
Old 04-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

North of Dallas we have the real Frisco. One of the fastest growing burbs in the US for the past 10 yrs or so too. Yes it was named after San Francisco in a way. It started as a stop on the St. Louis-San Francisco rail line, which was called the "Frisco Line" for short.

Last edited by jdean; 04-30-2010 at 02:09 PM..
Old 04-30-2010, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Take 280 North until you get to the hwy 1 interchange. Take 1 toward the ocean, then take hwy 35 (Skyline) heading North. You'll pass the Olymic Club. Take a left onto the Great Highway, and enjoy the drive along the beach. Lights are timed, so keep your mph at the limit and you'll cruise right through. Keep going past the Cliff House up Point Lobos, and then take a left on 34th. Pass the Legion of Honor, continue around El Camino Del Mar and then onto Lincoln. Follow Lincoln all the way until you pass under 101 again, take an immediate left and ramp onto the Golden Gate Bridge. You're on your own, after that.

This is essentially the most pleasant way to get through San Francisco, along the beach, through golf courses, the Legion of Honor, and upscale neighborhoods.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-30-2010, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Incidentally, stop at the Vista Point on the North side of the Golden Gate bridge. Nice view of The City. Then, heading North, take the next exit (Alexander) and then go under the freeway to the ocean side. Follow the road out along the coast side. This will loop back to Alexander, but is a nice drive if you're looking for views and have some time to kill.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
Take 280 North until you get to the hwy 1 interchange. Take 1 toward the ocean, then take hwy 35 (Skyline) heading North. You'll pass the Olymic Club. Take a left onto the Great Highway, and enjoy the drive along the beach. Lights are timed, so keep your mph at the limit and you'll cruise right through. Keep going past the Cliff House up Point Lobos, and then take a left on 34th. Pass the Legion of Honor, continue around El Camino Del Mar and then onto Lincoln. Follow Lincoln all the way until you pass under 101 again, take an immediate left and ramp onto the Golden Gate Bridge. You're on your own, after that.

This is essentially the most pleasant way to get through San Francisco, along the beach, through golf courses, the Legion of Honor, and upscale neighborhoods.

DD
I think they closed the Great Highway right near the Zoo for some construction project, so check before you use that route first.

19th and Park Presidio during commute hours can be tough, but it's fine during off-commute hours.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharroll Celby View Post
I guess I should leave my blue Dodgers cap and blue Dodgers windbreaker at home, huh? LOL !!!
For everyone that sit in the bleachers at AT&T Park and before that Candlestick Park, I would like to say "DODGERS SUCK" and "BEAT LA."

Only a Dodgers fan would call San Francisco, "Frisco."
Old 04-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I have to say thanks for the information also. I'm heading through San Francisco in mid/late July myself.

I will be heading up hwy1 from San Luis Obispo, so I will just stay on 1 by the sounds of it.

Thanks again.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Edley (if that indeed is your real name)...

Why not take Hwy 1 from by cutting across on the 156 in Prunedale and go through Half Moon Bay (same route we took during the CH1s), and just stay on it all the way through the Golden Gate?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jamo, that is another good possibility.