28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Lake Garnett or Watkins Glen...does anyone know?

Hello all, my name is Rich MacDonald, my father (Dave MacDonald) raced Cobra's in the early 60's. I have a question for the Cobra experts on this forum and any help would be appreciated. I've posted some home footage of a Cobra race on my father's tribute site www.davemacdonald.net and I've tagged it as Lake Garnett Kansas July 1963. However I now think the footage may actually be Watkins Glen NY, the week prior to Lake Garnett. The video shows three factory Cobra's 97, 98, 99 & Bob Johnson's #33 car. It also shows another Cobra #41 which i believe is Robert Brown. I have race results for Watkins Glen that show Brown placing 5th. I have limited race results however for Lake Garnett and they do not show him entering that race. At the end of the video it also shows a red Corvette (#7). There is a #7 Corvette (Jack Moore) placing 6th at Watkins Glen, but no record of Moore racing at Lake Garnett. You can also catch a glimpse of Bob Holbert in the video and Bob raced at Watkins Glen but apparently not at Lake Garnett. So in the spirit of having my father's site as accurate as possible I turn to the Cobra historians for help.

http://www.davemacdonald.net/gallery...deogallery.htm (click on Lake Garnett video)

Sincerely,

Rich MacDonald
Old 05-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Hi Rich... approved the first post. I am sure some of the guys will chime in and say hi.

ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i was looking at the footage earlier, and it appears the track in the video is situated at a pretty good elevation. lake garnett is man made but the elevation i don't think would sustain the kind of views in the video. i don't know about way back then, but the track is pretty narrow at present, the bridge would be hard pressed to hold two cars side by side and the rest of the track at present is not much wider. i don't know anywhere on track or close that you can view the amount of trees shown in the video, and the trees don't appear to be the type growing in eastern kansas. i've talked to a guy who watched races back in the 60's and he said the crowd was pretty much up close to the track, not like the video. hth
Old 05-04-2010, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA; 351W
Not Ranked     

Rich,

Can’t help on the track identification, but I thoroughly enjoyed your website honoring your dad. You’ve pulled together some great stuff there from back in the day. Thanks so much for sharing it.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

The 41 car is Bob Brown, and the 33 car that won the race is Bob Johnson. The track looks like Watkins Glen, but there really isn't enough footage of it to be certain.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

The still shot of the loaded race hauler that begins the video is at Lake Garnett. That is a photo I let Chuck Brandt use for his web site. The video does not appear to be Lake Garnett for reasons others have already mentioned.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shelby american=original team car, 289 hi po
Not Ranked     
Default Watkins Glen USRRC/GT race

To Rich MacDonald:

The Lake Garnett video is actually the '63 Watkins Glen event. Another Cobra that was not mentioned that was on the grid is Eppie Weitzes Comstock Racing entry (CSX2002-white with double green stripes-one of Dave's former rides). The pit wall garages on top of the hill of the main straight are also another clue.

Erik
Old 05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Rich. Great website honoring a truely great driver. As for the video in question, it sure looks like upstate NY to me. I've seen that pit area before in a photo, just don't remember where. Welcome to CC.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Video is Watkins for sure, the pit boxes, the "Ford-Total Performance" signs match pictures I have.

I spent part of the 1967 USGP in those pit boxes.....long gone now, when the track was lengthened the pits were moved. The used to be between what is now turn 1 and turn 2.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-04-2010, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks! ... Watkins Glen it is then. I knew i could count on you guys.

I just re-burned the video without the Lake Garnett stills and put it back on the site.

Thanks again for your help

Rich MacDonald
Old 05-04-2010, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

To Davey Mac,

Yup...the Glen it is!

You can see the mountains surrounding Lake Seneca in the background.

Anyone that has ever driven from the track into town, knows this scenery well!

From Johnny Mac

Last edited by John McMahon; 05-04-2010 at 05:13 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMahon View Post
To Davey Mac,

Yup...the Glen it is!

You can see the mountains surrounding Lake Seneca in the background.

Anyone that has ever driven from the track into town, knows this scenery well!

From Johnny Mac
"Mountains"????

Perhaps in Jersey where the tallest point is a waste dump! In New Yawk we actually have some "Mountains" i.e. Adirondaks, White, Green, Guardsmen Blue, etc.!!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
"Mountains"????

Perhaps in Jersey where the tallest point is a waste dump! In New Yawk we actually have some "Mountains" i.e. Adirondaks, White, Green, Guardsmen Blue, etc.!!!!
Those are GD mountains. Everytime I have towed a fully loaded trailer up that mound...I cursed it. I always pinned you as a HillBilly.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Although my wife will tell you they ARE mountains....I lost the brakes on a 32' Travco circa 1978 coming down 414 into town. She will swear to today that we rolled down Everest!!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Watched the video again.....forgot what a skinny bastard Ken Miles was and how he loved to take his shirt off!