Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2644 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Smile New Cobra

Anyone have any tips on regristrating a new Cobra in Oregon. I will be purchasing this new next week in Washington.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Actually, registering a replica is pretty easy in Oregon.

Rather than trying to explain it, go to this site and check around or send an email to the contact email on the site and they will help you out.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/titlereg.shtml

Where in Oregon are you located? We have a very active group of Cobra owners in Oregon- here in the Portland area and another group in Southern Oregon. In fact, we have a meeting this morning at 9:00 AM at landmark Ford in Tigard for the Cascade Cobra club and a run planned after. Good opportunity to see a lot of nice Cobras and meet some great people.

Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 05-08-2010 at 07:41 AM..
Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Congratulations.

What did you buy?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm getting ready to take my ERA down and get it transferred to Oregon plates and title. I've all ready done all my other vehicles, just been to busy working on the ERA is all.

Looks like a piece of cake because the car is already titled in another state. A standard VIN inspection will be required, like for ALL my other vehicles as well. Then simply transfer the title.

If it's NEW and NEVER been titled then you need an MCO and receipts for the major components (engine and such). A little more paperwork and it looks like Oregon will assign a VIN at the time of application. All in all, piece of cake.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 powerdyne supercharged
Not Ranked     

Seems that Oregon is pretty easy compared to other states. You would think...

I have a little 1980 Cushman Truckster that I've been trying to get on the road but DMV has been a pain.

It has an original California title (pink slip) and is registered as a motorcycle even though it has 4 wheels.

Thats my first problem. OR DMV is saying since it has 4 wheels they wont register it as a motorcycle. No biggie, I don't care what its registered as.

Now for the pain in the rear part. OR DMV says my VIN is fake/phony/whatever. Its not the normal riveted on tag on the dash (there is no dash). The VIN is stamped on the side of the cab on the drivers side. OR DMV says that was stamped in the frame after it was made or purchased. So now I have to make an appointment with the OR state police so they can look for a hidden vin. Really really lame seeings how I can't drive this thing on a road with a posted speed limit of 45mph or higher. I most likely will have to trailer it there.

If that werent bad enough I'm supposed to get a letter from cushman that states that my truckster meets all the safety requirements for 1980. I really can't see cushman doing this. Why would they? Its 30 years old. I'm guessing they will lawyer up and say nothing.

I might try the route of just trying to get a different clerk when I finish painting it.

I sure hope your cobra turns out a better experience than my own.

Carl
Old 05-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

They do seem pretty strict about the whole VIN thing all right. When I took my Honda 650 XR-L in they gave a big hassle about it being a "dirt bike" converted to highway use. The "dirt bike" is the XR-R version, not the L version. It took some doing and a couple of clerks before they finally figured it out.

My ERA Hawaii VIN "ERA-154" should be a big hit, oh boy, could be trouble.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brand new, never titled SPO 2644..

Guardman blue Roush 427R TKO600 17" wheels 315 on rear. Should be fun, looking forward to driving it home from Park Place Ltd. outside of Seattle.

Hope DMV doesn't give me much hassle...
Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Gear Six in Meridian (Boise)

Before you pull the trigger you might talk with or visit the Gear Six site...they have a nice silver demo and a used blue one for sale...he is a standup guy...I have no association with the dealship or Wayne...just my opinion ...
Old 05-08-2010, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input about Gear Six..

I can get a brand new, not demo for 4,000.00 less than what their asking. For a car with 1,000+ miles. And it's close enough to drive home
Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

You must have got a great deal at Park...I never could...sounds like you know the market and what is available...welcome to the madness...

Last edited by Bartruff1; 05-08-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Old 05-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Be sure to join the SCOF.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default You better hope all the bug are taken out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGER View Post
Brand new, never titled SPO 2644..

Guardman blue Roush 427R TKO600 17" wheels 315 on rear. Should be fun, looking forward to driving it home from Park Place Ltd. outside of Seattle.

Hope DMV doesn't give me much hassle...
Congrats on your new ride, It could be a pain in the you know what to get it home.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does a new SPF come with all the bugs out???

You saying that it won't make 150 miles? Maybe I should have a flat bed follow me home.. Or would you suggest that I trailer the car??

Silverback - where would I go to join SCOF

Barttuff1 - Keith Craft also has a deal for 57K with his 408. I talked with him personally, Kieth was very helpful. I think Dallas got one of his cars for 55K.

Anyone have any input about driving this new car 150 miles??

Thanks, DANGER
Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default how many miles on car

Quote:

You saying that it won't make 150 miles? Maybe I should have a flat bed follow me home.. Or would you suggest that I trailer the car??

Barttuff1 - Keith Craft also has a deal for 57K with his 408. I talked with him personally, Kieth was very helpful. I think Dallas got one of his cars for 55K.

Thanks, DANGER
You might not have any issues at all but most cobra guys are going to tell you that sometimes things have to be worked out, where its nice to be near home doing the first 100 miles to get everything worked out, I am sure other will agree with me, but then again you never know.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fill up the gas tank every 100 miles...that guage is just a good faith approximation !!!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the link to joining SCOF.

http://www.superformance.org/scof/

When are you picking up your car? If the weather is nice, and I don't have to work, maybe I will follow you home. Although I would not be to worried about it. Superformance is a factory built car and they do not suffer from a lot of problems. I would just be sure the have them double check all the fluid levels before you leave Park Place.

Quote:

Thanks, DANGER
Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

As long as you have an MSO/MCO and the VIN is on the car somewhere that you can point out to the person verifying it you shouldn't have a problem with Oregon registration. Since it's an SPF you should be o.k. on the VIN plate. Took me about 20 minutes to register my new ERA when I got it.
I took delivery of my car in Denver (turn-key ERA) and had two days to "shake it down" before my trip back home. Very close check for leaks and drips whenever I stopped on those two days before I hit the road. 1300 miles total Denver to Portland. Only 150 miles the first day but I had made advance arrangements to have the oil and filter changed at that point just to make sure things were still o.k. Cut the filter when it came out and took a really close look at the element and the oil in the can. From that point on it was a close check any time I stopped for gas or any other reason and all went well.
If you aren't planning on spending at least a day on shake down I think I'd recommend having at least a chase car trailing you on the trip back down to PDX just for peace of mind. I'd also recommend the oil change and cut filter when you get home. No reason to think that there'd be anything wrong but it can't hurt and it's better to catch any problems early on.
What part of Oregon do you live in? As Bob mentioned earlier there are a couple of groups here that you may want to touch base with. Probably the most active is Cascade Cobras out of Portland and southwest Washington. If you live in the northern part of the state it would be a good place to start. Several Superformance, a few ERA's, a newly arrive RCR GT40 with various and sundry other manufacturers. The lion's share of the cars are FFR's so you've got a reasonably broad representation or producers. Just getting into the "season" so there are a number of activities scheduled if you're in our neighborhood.
Good luck with the new toy.
DonC
Old 05-09-2010, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Silverback - Thanks for the link and offer.. I'm not sure when I'm going to pick up the car. The weather has to be good, and next Saturday is out. I wiil have a car following me. ( My Wife) at times she has been less than warm about adding a Cobra to our garage. So breaking down on the way home might not look very good....

DonC - I live in Beaverton, so were close.. Thanks for the registration information. Hope all goes smooth with DMV..

I've looked at Cobras for years, figured if I didn't do something soon I would never have chance. This will be a new hobby car to go along with my Harley. I do turn a few wrenches, and have a friend that's really handy.

First I need to get home from Seattle....
Old 05-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just looked at the pictures on the Park Place site. Very nice looking car, but then, aren't they all.

Something to consider. You may want to add shoulder harnesses so your upper body does not fly forward in sudden stops.

I upgraded mine to 5 point system with a quick release knob. Great improvement over the stock system.

If the weather is nice on the 22nd, you might want to consider joining a bunch of us for the Gig Harbor car show. There is thread for the show in the NW forum section.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

After a year and half of research and looking at Cobra's. I will be picking mine up next Tuesday, weather permitting...

I going to take the risk of driving it from Seattle to Portland...

Looking forward to a few miles this summer...