28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     
Default Do the static cling numbers stay on????

I am going to put numbers and stickers on my car and the static cling ones sound good --- but do they stay on? If not where can i buy sticky back vintage proformance stickers?

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, they stay on very well. I have had mine on for a few years, now. Install 'em wet, roll the air bubbles out, and keep an eye on them for a while, just to be sure.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Yep. I had mine up to 140 MPH at the track. I put them on the day prior so they had time to dry some.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Not on an unpainted Kirkham they don't. They just fall off.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Mine stayed on through rain, sleet and snow................http://squierdesign.com/

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 05-15-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Old 05-14-2010, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     

Dang 1985 CCX. Were you driving it in all that bad weather? That's hardcore.Thanks guys. I did find a website that makes (replica/tribute/real) old stickers.

http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com/index.html
Old 05-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
Not on an unpainted Kirkham they don't. They just fall off.
...at least on the brushed finish. I think they do on the polished ones ok.

Mine made it up to 12 mph or so.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Easy to get them through "Finish Line".

$80 for four "meat balls", your choice of number and I think it's $40 for the TWO sets of old school decals (one set for each side of the car).

It's been a long time since I ordered a set (years now) but they worked great and they came with a little squeege like tool and instructions for installation. Stick like glue and yet peel off real easy. No way I'd use any sticky back type stickers and have to deal with the mess they leave behind.

Interesting they don't stick to Kirkhams brushed finish, makes sense when you think about it though, rough surface and all that.
Link:
http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...t.php?cPath=34

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-14-2010 at 05:08 PM..
Old 05-15-2010, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
...at least on the brushed finish. I think they do on the polished ones ok.

Mine made it up to 12 mph or so.
Mine's polished now, so I'll have to try them again. I just put it down to the aluminium dissipating the static.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

67jet for the most part, yes...... Northeast is brutal.

I used Squier Design: As they are able to do custom anything.
http://squierdesign.com/

They were able to better match vintage sizes, most off the shelf companies use smaller diameter meatballs. As for the decals Enzo does a great job, Kress or even Squier Design.

Best of luck.....

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 05-15-2010 at 08:03 AM..
Old 05-15-2010, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Brock Coupe #88, Keith Craft 427w
Not Ranked     

+1 on Squier Design! Had mine for three years and they still work great!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've had my FinishLine set in the closet for two years now and this thread convinced my to finally get them on. Ready for Memorial Day at The Rock. Question... is the "E" for emergency and should be for shut-off or tow? I guess it shouldn't be there if it is.

Last edited by TButtrick; 05-18-2010 at 03:22 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Daytona Coupe #211, SPF,1037 sold
Not Ranked     

The "E" is for emergency. I thought it was for the location of the fire suppresion unit (extinguisher). Mine is located in the middle of the rear deck above my extinguisher. I could be wrong....

Chris
Old 05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblec5 View Post
The "E" is for emergency. I thought it was for the location of the fire suppresion unit (extinguisher). Mine is located in the middle of the rear deck above my extinguisher. I could be wrong....

Chris
No, I think you're right. I'll put it on the fridge full of beer and replsce it.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
Mine's polished now, so I'll have to try them again. I just put it down to the aluminium dissipating the static.
I've tried them again on the polished aluminium and they now seem to stick on fine.
I took the Cobra to the office yesterday, which is around 40 miles in total and they were still there when I got back home.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

FYI, after an extended period, they can damage the paint. On a Unique that I purchased used, static cling #s had been on for at least several years there was paint damage. The paint was lightly crazed underneath the #s only.
2000 grit and a light buff took most of it out, but I could always see it on the trunk and hood. Base coat clear coat paint.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I had a meatball come off somewhere between here and Oklahoma. I'm thinking an Okie may have it pinned to his wall decorating his trailer.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-Ford Performance Solutions 533 BB
Not Ranked     
Default Where to find the fender team decals?

I've looked around at many a decal site, and Finishline but not found the nifty looking team fender decals which I think look really great. Anyone know of a source for those? Originality has not been my top priority for my build - is the use of decals intended to emphasize a cobra's originality?

Thanks!

Dirk
Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, here's my 2 cents worth. I installed meatballs a week before a track event, following all the instructions to a T. They were installed on each door of my SPF. Stayed on great for the week and while at the track. However, on the way home from the track I hit heavy stop and go, mostly stop, traffic on a very warm afternoon. After I got home 90 minutes later I discovered that the decals had gotten too hot from the sidepipe heat wafting up in traffic and they slid off the doors onto the mufflers. What a nightmare! As soon as I got home and discovered this I drenched two towels in cold water to quick cool the melted vinyl off the pipes. God what a mess. Mostly all the crap came off with just chipping off the junk with a blunt screwdriver and my nails. What a mess. Do not ever wear your meatballs in heavy traffic while attached to your doors when it's 95 degrees out.

Bill
Old 05-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DocDirk, when I was using yellow "racing tape" type Duct Tape for my team stripes a friend of mine found some static cling team stripes and installed those instead of using Duct Tape. Honestly, it was hard to tell whose stripes looked better unless you looked really close it was difficult to tell which were static cling and which were tape.

I THOUGHT he got those static cling from Finish Line, by the way, maybe he didn't? Or they have discontinued them?

I have never left my static cling stuff on for long. Perhaps a show here and there, or just for fun for a little while. I always worried they would might come off, or they are a little "over the top" for long term use, plus I worried about paint damage over a long period of time. I see them as temporary, have some fun for a bit.

I'll have to add "worry about the side pipes eating them" now, thanks for the heads up on that Zoom!