28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Fitting racing harnesses - perceived wisdom?

Guys, Id like to fit simpson harnesses, prob 5 point. I think ive done my homework - Ive trawled the net and been through every thread i can find on this site regarding fitting racing harnesses.

Found loads of threads arguing for/against various intall options. My current understanding is you can either:

1. bolt (via a suitable bracket) onto the rollbar (provided its up to the job)

or

2. bolt/clip/thread onto a suitably braced bracket/bar that forms part of the frame in the boot area, behind the rear cockpit firewall.

1 - OK I understand.

2. - seems like this is the only option for the passenger. But theres a lot of talk of mounting the belts at shoulder height or above, which is impossible for a passenger, unless theres extra (ugly-looking) bracketry, or head-height (non-authentic) seats.

My understanding is that mounting below shoulder height, particularly at steep angles of say 30-45 degrees from the horizantal runs the risk of, well, as a guy at work told me: in a frontal impact the shoulder belt tightens, compresses your spine through your *rse on its way down through the seat and onto the floorpan'.

Now I can make my own decisions, but dont want to take any chances with my main passenger, my son. Shall I stick with a standard lap & shoulder that mounts at the highest point (should be able to see in the pic) or can I safely fit a harness? I could put him in a child seat I guess for a couple more years and pass the belts through that. But when he's 10 or 11, I dont think thats going to work.

Ive seen the thread where Wayne has an argument with you all, and David Kirkham decides to then mount the harness on the rollbar, but that still leaves the passenger spine at risk.... or does it?

words of wisdom appreciated here. sorry for the long post. useage is mainly on the road (street), with maybe 1 or 2 track days.

Kevin
Attached Images

Last edited by KevinW; 05-18-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine are mounted at or near shoulder height. Watch a Cup race and you will see the upper attachment is between the ears and shoulders, as most sports cars. F1's are in that area too.

Mounting to the cross brace on a roll bar allows more vertical play and side-shifting. I'd rather be planted in the seat with the upper body immobile.

Nothing's good for small children...
Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post

Mounting to the cross brace on a roll bar allows more vertical play and side-shifting. I'd rather be planted in the seat with the upper body immobile.
Not to mention the potential to have one of those eye bolts imbedded in the back of your head.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

The manufacturer of the safety harness should be supplying you with a diagram on how/where the belts will be most effective for the person they are being used for....
safety should come first BUT it needs to be done properly....if they dont give you a diagram....ask for one.......
Old 05-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Everything I've seen and read including manufacters recommendations for the shoulder belts is mount them even with the top of your shoulders when seated to no more than 4 inches down from a horizontal position even with the top of your shoulder.....

Mine are about 2 inches down from the horizontal position, I was told by many experts, including NHRA tech experts, that you want the belts slighty down from the top of your shoulders to put slight downward pressure on you to hold you down in the seat in case of a roll over..........

Too much downward mounting will cause the spine compression you speak of.....that's why they recommend no more than 4 inches down from the horizontal position..........

Use top of the line hardware, good belts do you no good with el-cheapo hardware that will not hold up to an impact...........

David