28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Default Is it my fan belt screeching again!

Hi All,

Last year, fan belt was screeching and I bought a smaller one (on the advice of a fellow CC member) and it worked. Last week, out on a short spin, the same screeching noise came back (intermittently and randomly).

I tightened the belt but it happened again yesterday. Can there be something other than the belt that can make that noise or is that where I should concentrate? A bad water pump has somewhat the same sound but there are no water leaks and that should be a more constant noise, correct?

Is it the fan belt?

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

My V belt also screeches from time to time (usually when it's really hot out and the engine is up to temp). Check to see if the belt looks like it's glazed. If so, you may want to replace it again. Another option is to take some VERY fine sandpaper and rough up the V groove on the alternator. I've never tried it, but one recommendation was to take a light wire brush and rough up the V belt a little.

Last option is to change out the pulleys and go with a multi-rib belt. I've thought about this option, but it doesn't happen enough to really justify the conversion.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Some times the belt will leave black deposits on the pulley after slipping a few times. Other times, they will glaze up the pulley so it can't get a good bite on the belt. Rough up the pulley surface if you find the glazing.

Check the pulley for black deposits and try to scrape them off, if there. Also, check that there is no slight coolant leak that is occasionally dripping onto the belt.

Last resort.....replace the belt again!

Oh yeah, it won't hurt to rough up the belt too!

Last edited by jhv48; 05-26-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Old 05-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also, with the motor idling, stand on the side and look down the belts and make sure they are all lined up perfectly, if your alignment is off, they will eventually eat your belts and cause problems.......

David
Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

if you dont drive your car for long periods of time then loosen the tension on the belt..
dont forget to tighten the belt before you go for a drive...
also you can get a can of belt dressing at the parts store....
Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Take the belt off and clean it with the belt dressing. Wipe off the excess and re-install. Make sure the pulleys are clean, as suggested before.

Dwight
Old 05-26-2010, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, I'll try these suggestions.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

You're low on brake fluid. You're hearing the alarm!!

bob
Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

High amp alternator, in full charge mode with single V belt. Most OEM applications addressed this by running dual belts. NAPA has V belts with serrations on the inner surface that provide more "edges" for grip, and allow it to fit around smaller pulleys. Just a thought....

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 05-30-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Old 05-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just replaced my V belt today, the old one was only a year old or so. It was slipping under hard acelleration, due of course to the immense G factor's generated by a side oiler under WOT conditions...

...in other related news, the alternator had a bad bearing (OK, so that was the real problem with the V belt), so I replaced it too. No more slip.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Ernie the Electrons within the wires must have been rushing to the rear of the car under hard acceleration.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-31-2010, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB (australia)
Not Ranked     

try a small, small smear of soap to the pully still has grip but shud eliminate the squeek(man my spellins bad)---Mic
Old 05-31-2010, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Check your pulley allignment too.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had a mechanic look at my car a few days ago and he said the fan belt wasn't wide enough, it sat too low in the pulley. I have Roush billet pulleys and he said I needed a 13mm wide belt not the 11mm I was using. Now the top of the belt sits just slightly above the pulley and no more screech.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmac View Post
I had a mechanic look at my car a few days ago and he said the fan belt wasn't wide enough, it sat too low in the pulley. I have Roush billet pulleys and he said I needed a 13mm wide belt not the 11mm I was using. Now the top of the belt sits just slightly above the pulley and no more screech.
Cool! I'll have to take a look at see what size belt I have, since I have the same pulley.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmac View Post
What is the part number of the wider fan belt that you're now using? I sent you a PM, but thought I'd post on the thread as well.