Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default To build or buy used......?

After several years of waiting I am finally ready to take the plunge. I would appreciate advise on which direction to go with a cobra.

The following is what I have decided would be my "dream" car:

289 FIA Cobra, 351 motor, manual transmission preferably a 5 speed, true knock off wheels, body, engine bay and interior (specifically dash layout) that have a original/authentic look.

The following is what I have to work with:

$45,000 (currently burning a hole in my pocket!) and I am vertically challenged, cobra-wise at 6' 5" mostly in my legs with a size 16 shoe. I have no problem fitting into smaller cars, the issue I usually have is the geometry of my foot to knee and the steering wheel/door and shifter. I am confident with some minor modifications I can fit in a cobra if the seat is dropped down to the floor and pushed back as far as it can go.

I am not wanting a show car, instead I want a dependable weekend hot rod that I can drive the crap out of! I am more concerned about dependability and performance than looks. I would quite frankly be happy if the car were painted flat primer black as long as I could get it out and put miles on it. I am also not looking for a 20 grand tricked out motor. I am sure a solid stock 351 should be more than enough power for this car.

I don't want to be "cheap", but if I could spend around 35K and keep 10 in the bank it would be great. There are a couple of used cars I am currently looking at, but they seem a bit too "nice" for what I want, if that makes sense. I am looking at ERA and Unique for a roller and am patiently waiting for pricing on the Riverside Racers. It seems like the pricing is around 28-29K for a roller.

Any advise from those out there who have built a roller would be helpful. What I want to know is realistically what will I be looking at for a complete budget minded roller (aside from bonding the body I could assemble it) without paint and all I have to do is find a motor and tranny, modify the drivers seat and put it all together. Did you find there was anything you came across needing or wanting that didn't come with your car you had to add on? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Mmmm.... Well, what to do? I just finished my ERA FIA car, well almost. I have to install the carpet and a few punch list items. I've put just over 300 miles on it and it has been a blast. I just took the wife out last Sat. and she loved it too. Surprised the pee out of me but she enjoyed every bit of the drive. I have a ton of room behind my seat as I'm only 5'9" or so. The size 16 shoe will be tough as they have very small foot boxes. Maybe some ballerina shoes would help! HaHa. I built mine just as you described except for the 5spd. It is probably one of the most "period" correct cars out there (IMHO). The ERA cars are built great and drive fantastic. If your favorite color is red then PM me!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default To build or buy used......?

Take a look at the Backdrafts, sit on a 92" wheelbase and lots of room in the foot well.

am
Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

First step may be to determine which cars you'll actually fit in. Try to meet up with some Cobra owners in your area to do a test fit.

One of our local Bay Area Members is 6' 4" and he is currently building an FIA ERA. He's doing everything humanly possible to accommodate his height. Also, spend as much as you can on your purchase. You can certainly find a car for $35K, but you'll soon look back and wonder what you could have bought with the additional $10K.

BTW - I'm 6' 2" and change. I took out the seat rails and bolted the seat to the floor as far back as it will go. I have barely an inch of clearance between my knee and the dash, but I'm very comfortable. It's really going to depend on the length of your legs, torso, etc.

Good luck on the search.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 05-26-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Old 05-26-2010, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've looked at Backdrafts in the past, but really am dead set on a 90" wheelbase. My big feet are going to be a problem, I know. No hope of squeezing in there with the spurs on my boots!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfordman View Post
I've looked at Backdrafts in the past, but really am dead set on a 90" wheelbase. My big feet are going to be a problem, I know. No hope of squeezing in there with the spurs on my boots!!!
I have size 13 shoes and normally drive in Puma tennis shoes or Puma racing shoes (didn't like the Pilotti racing shoes and normal cross trainer type tennis shoes don't work). Make sure you test drive/test fit cars with narrow flat tennis shoes.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am sure that I will have to end up having to getting "driving shoes" of some kind or another. If I decide on a roller I will be sure to invest in a plane ticket to visit the manufacturer to sit in a car to "test" the foot box room. I was considering a trip to the London car show, since there will plenty of cars there. One of my obvious problems is going to be the disproportionate lack of 289 cars on the market.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post

BTW - I'm 6' 2" and change. I took out the seat rails and bolted the seat to the floor as far back as it will go. I have barely an inch of clearance between my knee and the dash, but I'm very comfortable. It's really going to depend on the length of your legs, torso, etc.

Good luck on the search.

When I had my '96 Mustang my knee was touching the drivers door to the left and the steering wheel to the right....not even enough room to wedge in a quarter! A tight fit, BUT, I could physically drive the car without any issues.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have you checked out the Unique FIA in the for sale section? For the money that's hard to pass up! I think you will find ERA's hold their value a little more. Like others have said, it's tough when the extra money up front really adds up. I've enjoyed every bit of the building of my car and now the driving is great too. I've always been on the fence to sale but just kept pushing myself to finish up. My car is virtual clone to the one in the for sale section except I have FIA Trigo Wheels.

I think you will find the "mystic" of a 289 or FIA car pretty exciting. I just went to a local show and I was the only small block car there (10 Cobras). For some, it was the first time they saw one in person and I had a lot of questions about it. Good luck and keep your options open. Matt
Old 05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well it could be worse! I look like GRAPE APE driving mine because of a 30" inseam! It's kinda embarrassing but hey it's all I got! I put in Kirkey vintage buckets and that added a lot of floor space AND the seats can be moved back at least 4"! They work very nice!! Matt
Old 05-26-2010, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD-SPO2660, Southern Automotive 406FE, TKO-600
Not Ranked     

Having just spent probably too long deciding before I actually bought one, I would only recommend you spend a reasonable amount of time doing your "on-line" research. But, particularly given your correct concern about fit, I would recommend attending London as I did last year. It'll give you a personal experience that you can't get on-line. I'm 6'1", around 245lbs, with size 12's. My SPF fits me well. The offset foot box may take some getting used to, but I found it fairly easy on my initial drive. The used market right now seems still to favor the buyer, and CobraCountry.com certainly has 289FIAs listed. I did very briefly consider building, but it wasn't for me! You need time, facilities and most of all expertise plus a strong desire to do it, none of which I felt I had!! If you have those, then it certainly should be a consideration!

Good Luck!

Have fun and enjoy life, because when it is over, it is too late!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's one of the cars I am currently "looking at". I am deciding between spending approx. 30K for a roller + find a motor and transmission + anything else the car might need + putting it together vs spending 35-45K for a completed car...... I really feel like a 35K price point would put me into a used car. Although I don't have the "desire" to build a car myself, I am very mechanical so I would not have a problem doing it if I could save money and/or build my "perfect" car by doing so......

Last edited by azfordman; 05-26-2010 at 07:50 PM..
Old 05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am dealing with a 32"-33" inseam. I have never been able to walk into a "normal" store to buy clothes, shoes, etc.....so this issue is not new to me. I have been researching this for about 3 years now, the difference is I now have the cash in my pocket to move forward. When I find a vehicle I love I stick with it, I've owned my '59 ford for 25 years! Just want to find the right car to fall in love with.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

There was a Unique 289FIA with a built 351W for sale on craigslist about a month ago. I have the guy's email address. He's in Felton, CA. I thnk the price was pretty reasonable.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I really customised a car around a big and tall customer. Some of the tricks we used were narrowing the trans tunnel which widened the footbox, adjusted pedal spacing, custom exhaust header around that, raising and lengthening the steering to get it away from your knees. With the seats he had made up some cushions that looked like seats and they went against the bottom and back of the cockpit which really got him down and back. I have a 427 body style here right now with 351 and 5 speed for sale. I can start next week customising it to you.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mickmate, thanks, but I really have my heart set on a 289 car. I will say I have "considered" a 427 car, but it would have to have a side oiler and I have not found one yet for under 50 grand. I really like the looks and rarity of the 289's.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

No worries, I like the looks of the 289 also but I think you're looking at even less cockpit space than the 7.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
.... One of our local Bay Area Members is 6' 4" and he is currently building an FIA ERA ....

Good luck on the search.
Well … that would be me

I have a lot of the same challenges you do and there are some tweaks and tradeoffs that can be made to get big guys to fit in a 90" wheelbase car. There are a lot of good ideas mentioned above, and search for 'tall guy builds' and you will find more info on this site as well.

In my case, I too wanted a 289 car and you are correct, that in proportion to the 427 cars for sale, there are not that many 289 cars available and there are also fewer choices of manufactures.

I did a lot of research as well and finally chose ERA, they are really great to work with. The one well known drawback is, it can take a while to get your car, so you can't be in a hurry.

For my car,

- Modified dash so that the bottom edge will be a bit higher to allow for more knee room
- Adjustments to the pedal location.
- The roll bar will be slightly taller, but not noticeably different than a standard roll bar
- Smaller diameter steering wheel
- Seats … bolted to the floor, no adjustment

A lot of seats have a fair amount of 'layback' which shifts your rear end, closer to the front of the car, which then lowers your head relative to the windshield … but this also puts your knees up higher and into the dash.

By sitting more upright, with your rear end closer to the trunk, that will lower your knees and straighten out your legs, but will raise you head relative to the windshield and roll bar … you trade one thing for another! So seats are something to really research.

For your budget, look at a used car and modify as needed, that will save a lot of money. Having the car built is not inexpensive, but if you do, you then can have things tweaked to fit your needs as best as possible.

Like the guys said above, the only way to really tell is to sit in as many cars as you can and talk to the owners and manufactures. There is a lot of wisdom to buying as much car as you can afford up front, then tweak it to fit. Rather than not spending a lot of money initially, but then having to really take the car apart to make it work.

Sounds like a great project and best of luck!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
A lot of seats have a fair amount of 'layback' which shifts your rear end, closer to the front of the car, which then lowers your head relative to the windshield … but this also puts your knees up higher and into the dash.

By sitting more upright, with your rear end closer to the trunk, that will lower your knees and straighten out your legs, but will raise you head relative to the windshield and roll bar … you trade one thing for another! So seats are something to really research.
I really think the seat style and position are going to be a critical part of it for me. I actually prefer to sit upright when driving as opposed to a lot of smaller cars I have been in where the seat lays way back. (Perhaps it shows my age, but I know many younger guys almost prefer to be "laying down" in their cruisers....just not my thing!) The seat in conjunction with a smaller diameter steering wheel may well get me to where I need to be.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The original 289 cars, FIA or street, were certainly smaller, more cramped than the 427 body style.

Is that also true of most of todays FIA or 289 replicas?