Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2644 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Harness Install

Just logged my first 100 miles on that new Cobra..

Would like to install a 4 point harness. Does anyone know how to remove the back panel behind the seats on a SPF? I know there is an upper cross member that the harness can be attached to.

Looking for someone that has been down this road, and has more wisdom then I..

Thanks, Rick
Old 05-27-2010, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got it ....

Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Danger

Did you get your response , if so I am looking for an answer to your same question , please let me know
Old 05-27-2010, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes I did..
Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Be nice if you guys shared with the forum.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-27-2010, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ahhhh, come on I'm going to patent the information. And make enoungh money to buy an original.. Muhahahaha.

Just kidding...

So this is what I came up with. I have yet to try it so your on your own..

Remove the rear tires, don't forget to jack it up first

Take a flash light and look up where the roll bar comes down. There is a cross member about 2" lower than the seats Hi Tech has pre cut the fiberglass for the Y harness to fit threw. From the back side you can cut the carpet. They have also pre drilled holes for the driver and passenger side to attach the harness. I have not tried this yet, this is just the information I have been supplied. This thread will self destruct in 30 seconds..

Good Luck..
Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGER View Post
This thread will self destruct in 30 seconds...
Good.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Rick: As long as you are going to install a 4-point harness, consider going with a 5-point. Same basic setup, but with an additional anti-submarine strap. Much safer. Rich
Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK III,462 FE/TKO 600, IRS w/3.27
Not Ranked     

X2 on the 5 point, you won't regret it. On a 4-point you tighten the waist first, then when you tighten the shoulder straps, the waist belts ride up unless you have the 5-point "anti-sub".

FFR#6143 Mk III: FE 462" w/four 48 IDA Weber's w/TKO 600 .82, IRS w/3.27, 17" Team III's w/245/45's & 315/35's. Gas N's.

Picked it up end of Aug '08
First start May 12, '10
First go kart May 26, '10
Tag & title 5-26-11, driving in gel coat
Painted Nov 2015

'05 Harley Wide Glide (60 hp stock, now 107 hp & 107 ft/lbs at wheel. Mid 11's in the 1/4 mi.)
'55 Bel Air hot rod project (WIP)
Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Now thats funny !!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrarob View Post

Now thats funny !!!!!
Well there was that one time when I was pretty drunk.....
Old 06-07-2010, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobrarob

We installed the harness this weekend, works great. Hi Tech thought ahead and drill the upper frame support and also slit the fiberglass. You need to get a Y harness I got a pair of Simpson cam locks they work great.

Jack the car and remove the rear tires. Look up under the shock mounts you will see a frame cross member about the same height as the back of the seats. Find the slit in the fiberglass and cut thru from the back with a razor blade. The holes need a 3/8" x 3" bolt (2) large washers, lock washer and nut. You have to install the bolt from the top due to an angle cross member below. Open end wrehch for top and ratchet for below.

On the floor you will need to remove the seats. SPF has eyebolts on the floor and you will need to install 7/16" x 2" for the lap belt mount.

This only takes about 45 minutes and I saved 650.00 from having the dealer install.

Hope this helps

Rick
Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As was mentioned earlier, you really should consider adding the 5th submarine belt to a four point. It's not only about safety, it's just logical. You cannot tighten down the shoulder straps enough without pulling up the waist straps, which puts the lower belt in the middle of your stomach. It's uncomfortable and ackward, not to mention incredibly dangerous in an actual collision when you rupture your innards. A typical three point belt would actually provide better protection without serious secondary injury concerns from the belt system.

On another note, some tracks are not allowing a Y type harness, you won't be able to run on those tracks with one.

Frankly, I don't know why they even allow a four point belt of any design... Should be three or five.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I still have the 5th submarine belt..

Anyone that reads this needs to know of the DANGER !!!!

Please don't install this way....

Sorry, I said anything about the pre-drilled holes and slit fiberglass..

Maybe I should of mounted the shoulder harness to the flood like I saw one dealer do...

Rick
Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Did you mount the sub belt, and if so, where? I can't find a reinforced location. (Mine is a CSX but SPF ought to be close).

I'm thinking if I can't find a good mounting place that I will run a bar between the two seat mounting bolts and mount it to that (all of the mounts are wrap around). Thoughts? Maybe something a little more elaborate like a "H" or "W" shaped bracket that mounts to all 4 seat holes with the sub mount in the middle.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 07-20-2010 at 07:06 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

You might want to also investigate if the "Y" style shoulder harness is allowed if you plan on doing any competitive driving. Also, the mounting position of the shoulder harness to the chassis has a specific location in relationship to the drivers shoulders. Mounting it too low could cause a compression injury to your spine in the event of an accident. Taller drivers will have a problem with this more-so than shorter drivers in any manufacturers car.
BTW: The sub belt can be mounted to the same frame steel that the front bolts of the seat use.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 07-20-2010 at 07:42 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
You might want to also investigate if the "Y" style shoulder harness is allowed if you plan on doing any competitive driving. Also, the mounting position of the shoulder harness to the chassis has a specific location in relationship to the drivers shoulders. Mounting it too low could cause a compression injury to your spine in the event of an accident. Taller drivers will have a problem with this more-so than shorter drivers in any manufacturers car.
BTW: The sub belt can be mounted to the same frame steel that the front bolts of the seat use.
I would think that having a single (5-point) sub belt "off to the side" would be somewhat uncomfortable. There are 6-point (two sub belts) that I would think could be mounted that way.