14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     
Default Will the Cobra stand the test of time????

As I read the thread on the new article on SA and the trimming of their operations along with the range of ages of guys that own and like these cars ("Cobras" REAL and non real alike or whatever you define them as) it occured to me whether 15, 20, 30 years from know these cars (Real and non real Cobras alike) will survive..i.e. will there continue enough interest in these cars in later generations to (1) keep values bouyant or increase (2) will there be enough interest in these cars to justify the "replica" industry to carry on.

Todays generation is gravitatiing towards environmentally friendly cars and even shunning the V8s we used to worship. They are hopping up the Rice tuners and it seems like fewer of todays generation has a continuing interest in the cars we love("Cobras", real and replica alike.)

After all the "Cobra" and the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's jumped in value because the generation that grew up reading about them as kids in the auto mags of the day when they were kids found themselves in a position to buy them in the late 80s, 90s and thereafter but now that generation is getting older and fading away and a new techno generation seems to be taking the reins.

Kinda like the cars of the 50's, 40's and 30's do nothing for me. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and its those cars that move me.

What say you????

Last edited by REAL 1; 06-01-2010 at 04:01 PM..
Old 06-01-2010, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000 LeMans blue buyer in limbo
Not Ranked     

My 25 year old son is willing to sell his 2003 black SVT Cobra in a heartbeat in order to go 50/50 with me on a new blue CSX with a 427 once I give him the "go code"...
Old 06-01-2010, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

will the Cobra stand the test of time ??? i do believe it already has and will continue to.
my father was a car guy he had a TR 3,Porsche,and others and i watched him work on all of them....do i like those cars....sure.....do i own those cars....no.
i love the muscle cars from the 60's and70's and have owned several and even drag raced a few....
i dig a cool street rod from the 20's or 30's and even like the "rat rods"that grace
the roads today and there's nothing like a custom lead sled from the 50's and 60's.
one of the most fun cars i ever owned was a 2000 Grand Prix with a V6(3800)
it handled like a go cart and rode very comfortably and had plenty of power and got 30 mpg on the highway.
it all boils down to what YOU like....I'm a car guy and love all types cars but i will probably never own many of them....i have enjoyed the ones i did own and will continue to enjoy what i have now..

my Midstates Cobra, my 49 Willys p/u "rat rod",my 93 f150(6cyl)and my 2000 Explorer.
enjoy life....i do...
Old 06-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Evan may be right.

The majority of us that own these are older, and we are living a dream that we could not fullfill when we were younger.

It's true that some younger people own these cars, and still more will continue to want them in the future. However that group will dwindle as time goes on. And then there will probably come a time when our government officials will go all out to ban them from the road and they will only be in museums.

Only hope that I die before I see that happen.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

It is an automotive icon !!!

________
Old 06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, I think Evan may be right.

The majority of us that own these are older, and we are living a dream that we could not fullfill when we were younger.

It's true that some younger people own these cars, and still more will continue to want them in the future. However that group will dwindle as time goes on. And then there will probably come a time when our government officials will go all out to ban them from the road and they will only be in museums.

Only hope that I die before I see that happen.
Be very careful what you wish for. None of us know what the next 2.5 years may bring or the 4 after that or the next 4 yr. Think about the Gulf oil slick and "never let a good crises go to waste." You don't always see these things coming for a long time. It could happen suddenly. Come to think of it so can death.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Ed: So is the Model T. I don't see guys tripping overthemselves today for Model Ts or Model T replicas unless I missed something.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

While it's easy to argue that kids today do not have the same appreciation of these cars that us 40 somethings do, you can't deny this car is an American legend. As long as examples exist, someone will covet them, others will envy them and some will scoff at them because they can't have one or because they aren't real. When I exit this world I hope to leave my son the saddest looking, most worn out example of a replicar anyone has seen. I don't care what he does with it.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I think a lot of it comes down to economics. Most car guys (and gals to be PC) who are in their teens through 20's don't have the means to get into a high dollar car like the cobra. How long did it take most of us to be able to afford one??? Most hot rodder's work with what they have. I recall being 16 and pulling the straight 6 out of my dad's old pick up and putting in a FE from an old galaxy or wedging a small block into a Pinto. Over the years as old cars disappear and the market is full of cheap used imports, kids use what is readily available. The good thing is as long as these "old school" cars are out on the road getting attention hopefully new seeds will be planted for the next 40 something generation.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I understand how each generation has their favorites from their youth but I can't imagine what it will cost to restore some of today's cars 40 years from now. I wonder if it will even be plausible. Might make for some astronomical prices on pristine "survivors" or "time capsules" from this past decade.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

The Cobra-copy industry will decline. While I get enthusiastic reactions from all ages, only older people say they want one.

As to the price of Cobra-copies; who knows. It's kind of silly to have any consideration for the value of a copy of a car. It's like buying a print of a Picasso. You buy it because you like to look at it, not because it will have any future value.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Who knows the economics or the laws of the future?

But these cars are loved buy kids of all ages boys and girls alike. I am quite sure most kids have never seen a Cobra before, and you can tell they fall in love at first site, just watching their faces light up. Honestly I bought the car for me and didn't really care about what others would think, but after owning it and see how much people enjoy seeing the car, that changed. The excitement of others (especially the kids) is very fun for me. I did not expect that.

That said I think future generations will still love the Cobra. The more replicas there are out there for people to see the longer the fascination will last. If the only Cobra's out there were original cars, it would likely be all but over buy now. Just one opinion.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

The youngsters in my little podunk town love it when I go driving around. I think it might skip a generation or two but it will still be an icon.

Last edited by tcrist; 06-01-2010 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Evan, I do believe that depends on you.

Hell...look what you've done with dead horses.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
The youngsters in my litle podunk town love it when I go driving around. I think it might skip a generation or two but it will still be an icon.
Podunk???? That's awesome! My biggest issue when I get my cobra is I will have to trailer it out to drive it.....not gonna run it down 3 miles of dirt road and wash beds! Back on subject.....I do see quite a few high school age kids running around in late 60's to late 70's American cars and trucks, primer gray w/ black primer racing stripes, cherry bombs, etc.... Perhaps it because here in Az. the old vehicles don't rust out...but I do still see an interest in older style hot rods.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

The Model T was only an icon because of what it meant to America. The Cobra is an icon because of the car it is.

The fact that no one made reproductions of the Model T and there are a lot of reproductions of the Cobra proves this point.

The Cobra is the only car that has been reproduced so widely. Therefore, it is an ICON !!!

________
Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

In my opinion, the 427 Cobra is still the 'baddest car on the planet', and it will be for quite some time. When I'm at a car show or cruise, even though the 'iron bodied' car owners may shun my 'kit' car, I get a more enthusiastic response from all the other car fans than all the others combined. I don't care what the '55 Chevy or '67 GTO crowd may think, it's about the Shelby Cobra, which still kicks ass in some venues and has no equal. Many very young kids just fall in love the Cobra and want their daddy to get one. Same as the Bentley Blower and Deusenberg, the Shelby Cobra is timeless.
Good to see you posting again.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
The fact that no one made reproductions of the Model T and there are a lot of reproductions of the Cobra proves this point.

They were making reproduction Model T's AND A's long before Cobras.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

These cars are a phase that will pass in a few years....
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

If they had made as many Cobras as they did Model T's we would not be haveing this discussion...period.