Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default looking for a car cover

I'm having a BDR built and should have it in about 10 days.
Some folks use a cheap cover to take to shows, etc. for rain. Then they use a nicer one to cover the car at home in the garage.
Is there a nice cover that will repel water and also work as a dust cover and fit the cobra?
Any other ideas appreciated.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

You can get nice ones that will suit both purposes from California Car Cover. Aren't cheap though. When selection the type of car, choose "Cobra" and then it will ask you about roll bars, if you have a top, etc.

http://www.calcarcover.com/default.aspx

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Griots Garage is another source, I THINK they actually secure their covers through Calif Car Cover though. Still, it might be worth checking out the Griot site for comparison as it has very good information on the various cover materials, prices and warranties.

I went with two cover's myself, from Griots. One for dust and UV protection that was soft on the paint, but NOT "water proof". The totally water proof covers are not all that "paint friendly", there are (in some cases) much like parachute material. Very light, not much UV protection, fragile. You DON'T want the "canvas" style, they is hard on the paint for sure! Over time, the water proof will leave subtle marks on the top edges of the fenders and other places it remains in contact with the car.

For any long term outdoor storage I would use the soft cover first and then the water proof cover over that. Actually a good bet is to buy a cheap Walmart soft cover for the first layer and then the waterproof. Again, that's only if you need long term storage. In the trunk, for a car show, just in case, yeah, go totally water proof only. Light weight, easy to store. In the garage at home, I never saw any problem with the cheap, soft Walmart generic type covers.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2914 Sunset / Titanium
Not Ranked     

Check out Tracy Performance. I have one for my Mustang and one for the Cobra. My buddy has one for his Mustang, Roadrunner & Camaro. They offer several different types depending on what you want or need. The best thing about them is the fit and the fact that they are floor length, so dust can't swirl up onto the paint.

http://www.carcovers.com/general_info.html
Andrei
Old 06-17-2010, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I guess I should update my post and say that you actually want a cover that is about 98% waterproof so it breathes and you don't get condensation underneath. The car will still stay dry. Also, personally I would get one that is made for the shape of your car specifically rather than a generic cover, unless it is for emergency use only.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Griots has a system they mail to you if you want an exact fit. There is no generic Cobra Cover from anybody that will fit perfectly, to many variables among both the ORGINAL Cobras and of course the replica Cobras. The Griot measuring system walks you through a BUNCH of measurments on a chart, then the cover is custom made for that car. I believe even the 100% water proof parachute type material cover "breaths". The canvass style one (for boats actually) does not.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are a lot of Co's that offer great car covers.One of my cars is in long term storage inside a Car Bag,impervious to moisture,rodents,bugs,last checked 3 yrs ago.It looks as good as it did when stored over 10 yrs ago.Other cars have inexpensive covers to keep dust and help prevent nicks and dings,while parked in garages over the snow season.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I just bought a Weathershield HP cover from Griot's Garage. As stated above, they have you fill out a form with 25+ measurements so that it will fit correctly. Mine fits perfect.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/p2p/sear...rrivals&page=1

Griot's charges a premium price, but their stuff is high quality, and if you have a problem, they fix it for you.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Griots used to have a lifetime warranty. They replaced my cover three times due to wear and tear. The last time they said the lifetime warranty was no longer offered and the NEXT time I wanted a freebie, they would refund my money instead.

Either way, I'm a happy camper, had the cover for years and years and kept getting new ones along the way.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

My latest cover is from California Car Cover and it is made of Noah, a water repellent material. Great quality and expensive. Very good for occasional overnight use. I'm sure Griots makes good covers too. But if you need to go to a big box company, please consider anyone but walmart. My favorite is COSTCO, they treat their employees much better. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Rich