28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Best premium gas (octane being equal)?

I was under the impression that all premium gas (93 octane around here) from premium brand companies (Chevron, Exxon, BP, Shell, Sunoco, etc) was pretty much equal.

A guy swore to me earlier this week that Sunoco had the best gas and had been the best for a long time. That their gas was even a different color (red/pink) and even when they dropped from 95 to 93 octane, they maintained a higher quality.

This question is only about premium pump gas of the same octane rating.

I still think it sounds like BS in today's market (might not have been years ago) and all premium brands with additives are probably about equal, but what do you think?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-24-2010, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

some of them have different additives and cleaners and this will vary by state beacuse each state has their formulation requirements so it is possible one brand will run better in your particular car, especially in a car like a cobra. I know two people with late model chevy trucks who swear BP high octane has fouled their injectors and that it was caused by running high octane when the manfacturer reccommended 87.

Some have a higher ethanol content than others. BP used to have a higher sulfer content but they have droped it. I agree with you that there are some differences but none of the good major brands is going to hurt you. I usually use Sunoco, BP or Shell beacuse they are close. Im no expert but I have a lot of clients who are and they tell me that they are all good and about the same, at least for a late model car. Incidently If you use an octane booster the only one that actually works is Lucas.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you go to the tank farm where the trucks fill up to deliver to the gas stations you will see them all filling up from the same holding tank. The primary difference is the additives.
Here in San Diego you can see the trucks from Shell, Union 76, Arco, Chevron and some independants all getting gas from the same spigot.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanten View Post
Incidently If you use an octane booster the only one that actually works is Lucas.
This sounds like another can of worms. I don't run a booster typically, but I have also read good things others have said on the FE Forum about:

Octane Supreme 130 http://www.kemcooil.com/products.php?cId=4 (expensive)

Here is another review on octane boosters that had a lab test a bunch of them (Lucas wasn't one of them):

http://sportscarforums.com/f13/tolue...oice-3257.html

www.partskeeper.com
Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the one I read. I have read a couple of others that said the same thing. Octane is very confusing topic when i comes to additives

http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane...ers_lucas.html
Old 06-24-2010, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

doug, on boosters the octane supreme is good stuff i sell it. it is TEL....tetraethel lead
its pricey by the quart, but i use a half quart in 15 gal of gas a case of 12 is around 125.00. people have made comments about the way my exhaust smells, they say it smells like i'm burning racing fuel. the lead makes my engine quieter and cooler on top of having 100 octane. i use exxon 93 as my base.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanten View Post
Here is the one I read. I have read a couple of others that said the same thing. Octane is very confusing topic when i comes to additives

http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane...ers_lucas.html
Actually, the full test showed that they all work. http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane_boosters.html

Not sure of price points.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 06-24-2010, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Actually, the full test showed that they all work. http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane_boosters.html

Not sure of price points.
They will all work if you use enough of it but for one bottle the lucas was the only one the would significantly increase the octane. if I have to use 5 bottles I might as well just use race gas
Old 06-24-2010, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Most of pump gas across the country is supplied by fungible fuels. The refineries make 87 and 91, 92 or 93 octane gasoline. It is supplied to the market place to minimize cost and supply disruptions. You could buy brand A supplied by refinery A and later go to the same station and buy brand A gas supplied by refinery B gasoline. It will typically be at the octane supplied. There are unique areas of the country where a brand is normally supplied by one specific refinery separate from the other brands in the same area.

Yes, all gas is the same until the proprietary additive is mixed into the tanker truck. The EPA requires a minimum dose of additive to keep the engine clean. The majors typically have enhanced additive packages that keep your engine cleaner than the EPA requires.

Typically the state controls the amount of ethanol and if the pump has to be labeled with percent ethanol. Almost all the fuel on the West Coast has 10% ethanol. Of course California has clean burning CARB gasoline. Phoenix has emission controlled gasoline.

There are many formulations for race fuel. Each fuel is suited for a particular engine. Carborated engines with no computers have completely different needs than the latest ALMS racing engine. A blender will make up several different formulations send them to the race team and they will choose the best formulation for their engine with bench testing.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Over the years have used most all brands available around hear,never have an issue with any.91 is the best we got.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default ethanol/non ethanol

All my local stations carry 93 octane unleaded. I found a station that sells ethanol free 90 octane gas. Which would be better for my Roush 427R? Is 90 octane ethnol free gas as powerful as 93 ethanol?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

All the gas to my knowledge comes from the same source. As stated additives may vary however that is also a big question that can be debated?

I would suspect that 93 octane from an honest source, not those cheaters putting blends into the tank, is very equal. Buy CamII, it has more octane and the smell can tell you that you are buying quality.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

There is a mom & pop gas station near me that sells cam 2 race fuel. I buy it 5 gals at a time in a gas can. (It is illegal to pump it into a street car at the pump.) I add 2.5 gals to my 17.5 gal tank when I fill up with 93 octane. It prevents my Roush 427R from dieseling when I shut it off. I don't know that the car is any faster with it, but the fact that it stops dieseling at shut off makes me think that it may well stop any pinging I might get under hard acceleration. Plus it smells sooooooo good.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique #9159 428 FE 614HP by FE Specialties
Not Ranked     

I use Chevron, Shell or 76 in mine and have had no problems with detonation. 11.4 compression. Occassionally I'll add a couple of gal. of race gas to my tank or a bottle of Lucas octane boost. The brand gas is for the additives which most of the other brands don't have.

Tom