Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     
Default Coilover ride height measurement

Hello All,

Here is the situation.

I have Aldan coilover that are fully compressed to give me a ride height of 27 1/2 inch. I still have a gap between the wheel and the body that I would like to minimize.

I spoke to Aldan and they told me to measure the shock from mounting hole to mounting hole and give them the length, which is 12 1/2 in.

I would like to close the gap in the wheel well from 27 1/2 to maybe 26 in MAX.

Aldan is recommending that I go with an 11 in. shock to put me at my MAX lowering height.

Does this sound correct to you? basically subtract the amount removed in the wheel well and do the same to the shock?

Now, I would like to try it how ever I would like to make sure that if I do not or like the new setup 26 in that I can adjust back to my 27 1/2 ride height as before.

The are asking that I send them my old shocks and they will swop them out for me (Great company). However I dont want to do something then regret it.

Your suggestions please
Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

If I'm interpreting your info correctly...That sounds right if you have a 1:1 motion ratio... unlikely if you have IRS. I would measure from mount to mount with the suspension at the desired ride height and go from there.

Last edited by scottj; 06-28-2010 at 07:28 AM..
Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Support the front of the car with a jack.
Remove both front shocks.
Lower the car until you get the height that you desire.
Measure the center-to-center distance of the shock mounting axes and the angle (front projection) between them.
Measure the distance from the lower control arm pivot axis to the ball joint center line.
Measure the distance from the lower control arm pivot axis to the lower shock mounting axis.

Report back...
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

When you say ".....fully compressed...." are you referring to the spring or shock?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well lets say, the nuts are all the way at the bottom
Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

what he is asking is the schock bottomed out---this would be with out the spring---is the schock completely compressed??

For something quick---jack the car up and measure the extended length, then at the ride height
Old 06-28-2010, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have done that and fully extended is 13 1/2

Ride height is 12 1/2.

And now looking at it I may only need 1/2 in 1 inch tops of lowering from current ride height
Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here is my 2 cents. Remove the shocks and springs. Lower the frame to the ride height that you want. Measure the distance from the lower shock mount to the top shock mount. When the shock length is correct you will have 60% of the shock travel available for compression and 40% for extension. The second part is to match the spring length to the shock length. You want to run as long a spring as possible while being able to adjust the spring to the correct compression to set the car at the correct ride height. If the spring is too long you won't be able to compress it far enough to get the spring set nut and lock nut on. Too short and you can have coil bind. Have fun! John