Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 w/SA 406 FE
Not Ranked     
Default The Cobra market is full !!!!

I posted my car on Cobra Country for sale in mid May. Since then about 35 more cars have been posted for sale just on that site. I do believe that equates to a buyer's market or an orange cobra is a little tougher to sell. I hope everyone selling their cars are doing so because choose to, not have to as a sign of the times. Maybe there are just so many enthusiasts having built and bought cobras the time has come to see a lot full of cobras available at any given time. Well with that said............orange cobra anyone????

Good luck to all sellers.

Ric
Old 06-29-2010, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

Hang in there. I have had cobras sell in a few days and some in several months. Keep advertising and keep your asking price realistic. Don’t just rely on internet ads. Go local too. You might want to try a high traffic consignment house. Good Luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 392CI, 430HP
Not Ranked     

I know what you mean, Ric. I listed mine a few weeks ago on Cobra Country because I would like to get down to two vehicles. Plus, I hate to walk by it covered all winter long and during the many rainly days we seem to have anymore. Right after I listed mine the sellers came out in full force. I don't really care if it doesn't sell as I would hate to get rid of it.

I don't need the money (fortunately) so, again, if it doesn't sell so be it.

Good luck with yours.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sellers have to be aware of the ecomony. Unemployement is in double figures and these 'toys' are not must haves. I have been looking to buy a CSX, but the dealers are sticking with 'sticker price' while their inventory grows and no sales. Ebay is loaded with cobras, some not getting any bids at all. As the summer ends , the market to sell one of these will get even worse......Good luck to all....GR

Last edited by GR997S; 06-29-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

We are in a recession and many people have the want but not the means for a Cobra or toy of some other kind. This is a cycle we will just have to work through. Good luck with your sales. The good news is there is always a buyer for everything....just look at all the people that bought Fannie May and Freddie Mac securities!

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

The market is not quite over saturated, however, buyers have more to pick and choose from and they are taking their time instead of jumping in with both feet (so to speak). I had the ERA on the market, decided to pull it off for a while and do some detailing and upgrades (new aluminum radiator and cooling fan to replace the old copper system and outdated fan).....Put the FFR on the market instead...it is the right color combination that everyone wants (Blue metallic with white stripes) these days

Hang in there, your car will eventually sell, it just takes time when you have a paint scheme that is out of the ordinary........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-29-2010, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The market is average in the South. Keep your add on cobra country, you only have to sell the car to one person, one phone call, one contact. There is a butt for every seat.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

A cobra priced apprpriately will bring potential buyers in. Some Cobras are priced unrealistically and it drives potential buyers away. Mine sold in 12 days after placing an ad on Cobra Country as I think it was priced at the correct level. Stu
Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Don,
We haven't had a long stretch of sunny days yet this year. I can't remember taking the top off and on so many times, since I got my SPF!

Hate to hear that you are thinking of selling. You have a beautiful, unique car. I have never heard anything but compliments on it! (my wife likes the color)

If you have a potential buyer that wants to see your car in the air, let me know and we can put it on a lift here in the shop for you as a courtesy.

take care,
Jim Kellogg
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

One comment from a builders stand point.....
Gentlemen, price fixing is illegal, BUT may I suggest you don't cut each others throats!

Seen many, many ups and downs in this market. The low ball seller always complains later he had 50K in his car and sold it 15K or less! I DO understand "in dire straight mode" but...
DV
Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Motors, 351W, Richmond T-10 4 speed,
Not Ranked     

Well, that's not very good news. I've currently got the house listed (and think I have a buyer) and the place I signed a lease on doesn't have a garage so I've been hemming and hawing about what I should do. I really would hate to get rid of mine as it's the most fun I've ever had with my pants on but I hate to leave it under a cover full time... is a good used Contemporary worth $35K or so?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If I can help anyone unload a SPF GT or BDR GT replica or KMP all aluminium bodies for $60K let me know, I got cash burning a hole in my pocket. Factory Five's up to $20K, SPF Mark III I will go $35K. Always Cash
Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 392CI, 430HP
Not Ranked     

Jim, I don't think there are too many buyers out there and, like I said, I don't really care. I'm not going to give it away as I like it too much. I get bored after a couple years with any car (we usually get a new one every three or four years) and some of the newer ones look very good - a Mustang GT with 412 HP, for example, that I could drive year round).

Seems when the rain stops I have to mow then I get about done and it looks like rain again. Doesn't leave much time to drive. And, of course, the once a month I take it out in the winter to get the juices flowing (the cars and mine) isn't too good either. Oh well, I knew we had crappy weather when I bought it so my bad on that point.

I won't mind keeping it for another few years or longer. Who knows, maybe one of these days I can talk my wife into moving out of beautiful NYwhere I may be able to drive it weekly or more.

Thanks for the offer on the lift and I will take you up on it if anyone wants to take a peek.

I need an inspection this month so I will be calling your shop as soon as my new registration comes in.

The next few days look to be decent so I imagine I will be tooling around so I will stop and make an appointment and to say hello.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

When I went through the process of buying this past March I wondered if we couldn't add a "Kelly Blue Book" type feature into Club Cobra. There are some really large spreads in pricing for the same kind of Cobra. The database would have to be built somehow listing manufacturer, age, engine, options, etc and getting the actual sales price. If enough put the info in accurately we could have a pretty good reference. What do you think?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

How would one place a value on build quality? As we all know, this can vary tremendously, even among manufacturer-built turnkeys.

After all, no two replicas, even if they initially appear to be identical, are ever completely alike.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I work on them all.
Not Ranked     

I'm finishing a all black CSX with a all alum. 482ci FE built by Robert Pond(600)hp. I know the owner is going to sale. 00000 Miles.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

The worth of anything is what you can get for it, or what you are unwilling to part with it for. This changes constantly.
As far as I'm concerned, mine is worth more to me than what I could possibly get from selling it. Maybe after I get old and boring!

I think as far as a "Kelly Blue Book" type of list, we more or less have this now, just look through the for sale section and we can get a pretty fair idea of the value of these cars at present time by considering what is selling and what is not.

Just don't look for mine in the for sale section!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
There are some really large spreads in pricing for the same kind of Cobra.
It is very confusing isn't it? I had the same frustration when I bought my car in 2006. The asking prices were all over the place for what seemed to be similar cars. I think a lot of it was (is?) overly optimistic values placed on the cars by the owners. It is hard to figure out what people actually got for the car when sold.

In the end, I was able to focus on what I wanted and how much I would spend. If I found it great. If not, I was willing to wait. It took a while but when I found what I was looking for at the right price, I pulled the trigger.

No regrets.

Jack
Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Put the FFR on the market instead...it is the right color combination that everyone wants (Blue metallic with white stripes) these days
Bill S.
"Resale Red" no longer the gold standard?

(coming from a guy with a Royal Blue with white stripes)...LOL

E
Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

HMMMM! The market is slow, lots of cobra's, and to sell it must be a good value and priced correctly to get someone interested.
Take a look at the entire hot rod maket, cars are difficult to sell, nobody has the cash right now, most of my club friends end up trading for something else.
The Cobra is still a solid investment as compared to other factory type vehicles, be patient and make sure your car is perfect with no problems.
Bill