LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     
Default 4 post lift purchase

Hey all,

Just wanted to find out if anyone has purchased a 4 post lift after their build?

If not, those of you with the 4 post do you still find the 4 post useful even after your build.

Is it justifiable?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have not. Don't have a high enough cieling in the garage. My friend has one and I think it would have been a benefit while doing the body work but over all it's much more useful for maintenance. I built my car with the chassis on a cart to make it easier to work on. The bottom of the frame was about 20" off the ground.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

thankfully i had a 4 post when i made my purchase. wouldn't be without it. super long low profile floor jack is nice also.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Best money I've spent on this hobby.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick View Post
Best money I've spent on this hobby.
Ditto. I built my car on the ERA dollies, but since have bought a 4 post and it's the best piece of equipment I ever had. I did clear out some rafters to allow full lift.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don’t have a cobra yet, but I will, that is why I am on here, I am trying to get all the information I can before I buy. But, I do have a lift and I have had several racecars. The lift is great. One of the things it is good for is, you can raise the car up and it is out of the way. You don’t have to worry about someone rubbing the dust off (i.e., scratching it) and telling you how shiny your car is.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

Ditto....purchased the lift before the Cobra made it home....I use it to work on the car, however lately I use it more for storage...with the car up in the air, my kids don't mess with it and I have a lot more room for other stuff underneath it.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

I got one in my Texas home and it is great for all the reasons listed. Great for
working on the car and i can put it on the lift and run it up and park under it.
People can't mess with it 6' up.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

There are several threads archived on this topic FYI ...

I have both a 2 post assymetrical hoist and a 4 post drive on hoist- see pics in my photo gallery.

I prefer the ease of use and install of the 4 post lift .

I use the lifts to stack two cars over two cars as well as working on the cars .

Once ya have one you will wonder why you did not get one before. Bill
Old 07-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default 4 Post Lift

When I built my ERA, I didn't have a lift, a compressor, or any air tools. I built the car in a friend's garage who had all of the proper equipment (he also had heat and air in his garage, which I didn't have).

I now have the compressor, air tools, sand-blast cabinet, parts washer, heat, and a 4-post lift. The lift is by far one of my most useful tools. It allows me to squeeze 4 cars into a 3-car garage, and makes undercarriage clean-up a matter of hours instead of days. I had the rafters modified in my garage to create a catherdral ceiling in the bay where the lift is located. Also had the garage door reworked to hug the angle of the new ceiling. Definately one of the best things I ever did for my garage.

Jeff
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

Thank you all for the responses.

I was on the phone with one of the lift companies and they are saying that the approach ramps lift up so I would not have to purchase the aluminum ramps.

Is this correct.

I have 186 in in my garage so the ramps will have to come off each time I close the door or when not going to take out the car.

Also, I have another post going but I wanted to know if the Dannmar and Automotive equipment are the same lifts.

They look to be very similiar
Old 07-01-2010, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No brainer if you have the head room buy one. I use it for storage, working on cars, I can not imagine not having one.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

as asked by 'priobe' do all ramps lift up .?? NO.......some do and most i have seen do not . ie, the drive on approach ramps are removeable and not permanently affixed .

the ramps in steel are heavy but easy to install or remove . i recommend aluminum ones as an option unless they come with the lift . mine are diamond plate and are easy to move around.

get a tire chock from a rv/trailer or auto parts store to put behind rear wheel(s) ........there should be 'stops' in the front on the lift . they usually supply two for the rear too , but i prefer a tire chock i can put right behind the wheel, not trusting theirs which would be several feet from the rear wheels . safety first . Bill
Old 07-01-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

The Revolution lift from Rotary has ramps that stay attached and are nearly vertical when the platform is raised. They are out of the way and form a safety wheel stop. They can be removed if you like, but I find it is a rare instance. I am very happy with it.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Four Post Lifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by priobe View Post
Hey all,

Just wanted to find out if anyone has purchased a 4 post lift after their build?

If not, those of you with the 4 post do you still find the 4 post useful even after your build.

Is it justifiable?
I JUST got one from National Auto Tool cheapest one on the net at 1869 delivered, four post, caster wheel sets, ramps DELIVERED for that price.
link below
http://www.nationalautotools.com/
Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Splurge for the aluminium ramps!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Sorry to barge-in, but anybody looking to upgrade to a 4-post lift and want to unload that old POS Kwik Lift? You could persuade me to take it off your hands.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Priobe: Check these out. If you watch, you can get the 7000lb for $1699.00 and the 8000lb for $1799.00. They come with the aluminum ramps, jack tray, drip tray's and castor set. I am getting the 8000lb one.
Byron

http://www.eagleequip.com/page/EE/CTGY/LI-SS
Old 07-01-2010, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

Guys - I am not hear to talk names but check out the lifts before you just go for the lowest prices. I have seen lifts before that I would never put my Cobra on let alone stand underneath.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

The friend I bought my four post lift from modified the removable ramps by adding hinges to them so they could be tilted up out of the way. Great idea and easy to use.