14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Wanted - ERA FIA

Hello Cobra owners,

I’m in the market for an ERA FIA. The reason for this post is because I realize some of these cars will sell by word of mouth as well as some owners may possibly be ready to move on but haven’t advertised yet because of the dreaded process. I too have been a Cobra owner and remember that process quite clearly.
Everyone here knows the market is currently flooded with many used Cobras of numerous manufactures, but the ERA FIA cars are far and few in between. I’m also aware of the most popular sites to find Cobras and I’m looking at them regularly. I have looked at ERA FIA asking prices over the last year and find myself willing spend around the median of those listings. I’m also willing to travel/transport if the right car comes along.

I’m looking for the following:
Overall Condition - Excellent to very good both mechanically and aesthetically
Paint - At or near show quality
Colors - I would rather not limit myself here. Most of these cars I’m certain will be tastefully done.
Body work - Straight with no signs of seams or stress cracks (minor chips and scratches are fine)
Interior - Excellent to very good with only minor indications of wear
Small Block Ford - Mild to wild with a manual 4-5 speed
IRS – Preferred
Wheels – Halibrand style
No Accidents or significant body or frame damage

I think I’ll leave it at that for now…

If you’re aware of such a car for sale, I would really appreciate hearing from you. Please respond directly to me by “Private Message” only.

Thank you,
Kurt
Houston, TX
Old 07-04-2010, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Check on Cobra Country. They got one.......GR
Old 07-04-2010, 01:23 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I know of two top quality ERA 289 FIA's currently for sale. I sent you a PM. Await your detailed response before I go any further.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-04-2010, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

The one that was just listed on Cobra Country caught my attention. Love the color and it looks like it was built right and kept mint with 9K miles on it. If I hadn't already just bought a car I would been interested in that one...
Old 07-05-2010, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     

If you are not totaly committed to and ERA, take a look at this Unique

am6948

http://cars-on-line.com/40464.html
Old 07-06-2010, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

Hello Guys,

Just a quick update -

I have had several “PM” replies from owners with what I would describe as having “Amazing” cars but unfortunately my budget will only allow a “very nice” car.
This will be my second time around with Cobra ownership and I continue to be impressed with how helpful and pleasant the Cobra community is.

Thanks for your help.

Kurt
Old 07-07-2010, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Take a peek at the one just listed in the for sale section here on clubcobra for $ 43K obo with 48 IDA webers...looks nice and in your price range...

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=3061&cat=2
Old 07-07-2010, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is another one that looks pretty nice to take a look at on Ebay for $ 39.5 buy now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-...item563de53c36
Old 07-07-2010, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the info...

Gary,

Thank you very much for the info... but I really have my heart set on an ERA FIA at this point.

Thanks again though,
Kurt
Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can understand as ERA makes a real nice one. I was looking for a FIA several months ago so had some links saved. Here is one that was on SAAC for sale earlier this year so don't know if he sold it or not but it is still listed if you haven't seen this one.

http://www.saac.com/index.php?option...id=2&Itemid=48
Old 07-08-2010, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

The ERA is a great car, but so is the Unique. Go check one out if you haven't already. You might just be glad you did. The Unique FIA/USRRC car is my choice when I build one, and the Weavers are a great bunch of folks to work with. Check out the Unique owner's site http://www.uniquecobra.com/ (not affiliated with the company) for a great resource and lots of testamonials, etc.

Here are a couple of more links:

A nice red one:

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8199

And this one looks like a steal!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1810989176.html

Good luck!

PS. what was your original car?

Last edited by PDUB; 07-08-2010 at 12:14 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

To me the ERA stands alone as a really acurate 289 car. It's all right, including the side view profile of the fender lines. Too many companies graft a 289 nose on their 427. That said I really like the Riverside Racer car. Not sure if you are willing to wait for one of these, or if it'll fall into your price range.

I'm with you though, I have my heart set on a ERA FIA, and nothing else will do (Riverside Racer is going to be out of my price range).
Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppster View Post
To me the ERA stands alone as a really acurate 289 car. It's all right, including the side view profile of the fender lines. Too many companies graft a 289 nose on their 427. That said I really like the Riverside Racer car. Not sure if you are willing to wait for one of these, or if it'll fall into your price range.

I'm with you though, I have my heart set on a ERA FIA, and nothing else will do (Riverside Racer is going to be out of my price range).
Agreed. The ERA example has all the details where it counts. Just have a look at any of the cobra picture books out there and you'll see that from the interior to details like engine bay features, use of fiberglass sections as with the originals, overall stance and wheel to fender relationship...it's all there with solid engineering explainations where design methods have deviated.

These things were all important to me, and with my budget, ERA was the obvious choice. BTW, from a financial standpoint you are making a wise decision to purchase a completed car, IMHO.

- Allen.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

It all comes down to which direction you want to go. I've seen the Unique FIA and known a couple of owners and while they are pretty decent, they have their own draw backs. There are certain things that those owners didn't like but thought they could live with, both have sold and moved on. There is the "Factory Five FIA car" listed here :http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...p?product=3061 too. It looks like a very nice and well built car but why?? Unless you on a body shop and just love to do fiberglass why would you go to ALL that work?? And at the end of the day it's still a FFR. NOT that FFR are bad but the starting point is still A LOT lower than an ERA. I bought my car and totally went through every little piece of it. I wanted a "drop dash" and found one made for an original csx 60's car, it fit perfectly! No cutting, no welding, it just fit and that's the diffence in an ERA, they're that close to the original! Like others have said, if you want the correct "look", the right stance, and as close to a csx (sans the chassis) it's hard not to go with an ERA. I rode in a Mid States 427 before I got mine on the road and I was just amazed at the differences between the two. Mine doesn't rattle, squeak, feel unsettling or unstable, and I don't ride with my head above the windshield, etc, etc.

Hey the great the about Cobra's and it's owners is they are all different. To each there own and what makes them happy. The wealth of knowledge, the shared heartaches here on the forums, and general feedback from the dealers is what makes Club Cobra so GREAT! The technical support from Bob and Doug are invaluable too!

I think at the end of the day you will see most owners of ERA cars are very loyal and enjoy their cars more because of the quality of the product. There are not too many ERA FIA's out there (less than 140 or so in 15 years) and that makes the mystique of the car greater too. I went to a local show and out of 12 Cobras's there, mine was the only FIA there. Some had only seen a car like mine in magazines and some didn't know what it was. I think for the money you can't buy a stronger, more well built, and better valued Cobra than an ERA!

Ha, well I'm going to get the popcorn after that post!! Matt