14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Dual or single oil filters ?

With my new side oiler engine, I'm wondering if a dual oil filter is needed ?
I know that we want the best filtering for our expensive engines but, are two necessary if it's not a full out racing motor ?

I do plan on trying the "Filter Mag" that attaches to one filter. I like the clean appearance in the engine bay, and since it's so tight with a big block, I don't see a great location for all that's needed for the dual filters, bracket and lines.

I have a 8 qt. oil pan and if,.... I hook up and use my oil cooler, that may add two more qts. I'm installing my cooler mainly for looks, as I do not race a lot.

So, do we need two or not ?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC427, 427DartSHP
Not Ranked     

Hmmm, if the filters are connected in a serial manner, there is nothing to gain if they are the same filter.

If they are in parallel, it would serve to reduce the pressure drop through the filters, but still would not make the oil any cleaner.

I cannot think of any cases where dual oil filters would help a street performance car. Anyone else?

By the way, make sure that you have a thermostat by-pass on that oil cooler.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I agree. Do it for looks only.

As for the oil cooler, I would not hook that up at all, even for looks. The oil will frequently stay too cold to work properly, you'll have a pressure drop, and you'll waste energy pumping the oil around. Install it with whatever lines you like, but terminate the lines behind the alum side panels. Or, make a loop around the back of the radiater; that would keep it from getting dirt in it, in case you want to go racing in a coupkle of years.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Skuzzy

A cheap way to add an extra quart of oil.............
Old 07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I never intended to hook up the oil cooler lines. As you spoke of, terminate the lines and hide them. The Accusump will hook up to the sandwich, not the cooler.

I do have the electric Accusump Valve kit, that provides a convenient way of operating the Accusump. They are useful when the accumulator is mounted in a hard to access location. When wired directly into the ignition switch the Accusump can be operated automatically to provide pre-oiling.

People expect to see a oil cooler and the dual fan assembly, when looking into the fish mouth opening and they seem disappointed if these are not installed. lol

As far as I know, the dual oil filters are in-line with each other, doubling the filtering. In my case of not racing full time, I just don't feel the need, just change it often, especially when breaking the motor in. I will buy the "filter mag" and a cutter, to inspect it after the first dyno run, and thereafter for a while.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 07-12-2010 at 04:54 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
People expect to see a oil cooler and the dual fan assembly, when looking into the fish mouth opening and they seem disappointed if these are not installed. lol
That is absolutely true. There's also a safety factor as well. Having both the pushers, and a puller fan, well let you limp home without overheating if and when one of them fails.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes'em.

I also believe that if you're in traffic on a hot day, as far back as the radiator is from the nose of the cobra, the dual fans can help suck in cooler air, aiding the system. Does that seem logical to you ?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes'em.

I also believe that if you're in traffic on a hot day, as far back as the radiator is from the nose of the cobra, the dual fans can help suck in cooler air, aiding the system. Does that seem logical to you ?
Yes, but other than looking really cool, there is no benefit to them when the car is over about 15mph.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nope, them alone would suck for cooling, as they figured out way back then.
I assume, some auto makers around the globe had puller fans that could have been used. But then you get into the argument between the racing cobras and the street cars, and what needed and cheapest ect.......
Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Oil filter

The idea is to have good filtering and ample flow. General mass produced oil filters do an average job on most cars, in my case I have researched oil filters extensively and have found this filter to filter small enough particles 8 - 10 microns and give plenty of flow,

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/...ion&key=25-106

Most race filters like Wix 51515R or R series filters are around 60 micron filtering, this is because race orientated engines require flow more than filtering. I chose the Canton for it is expensive and had the flow and fine filtering attributes, according to their claims!

Another good filter is the Moroso race filters they go down to 28 microns and give plenty of flow for high performance engines, I wasnt concerned about going lower than 28 - 30 microns, all I wanted was better filtering than the purpose built race filters that other manufacturers supply. The Canton is a bit bling looking for this chap but really compact and as my car is dry sump I want plenty of flow!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

AJ-That's some good information. Do you have photo's to post ?

I have used the Moroso, K & N and Wix. Anderson like the Moroso.

It's ironic you mentioned the canton, as I'm getting that oil canister filter and the fuel canister. Both unscrew from the top, so it's a lot cleaner change.

I'm also getting the Accusump 3 qt, electric switch hooked into the ignition, so it's all automatic, and all the other accessories and billet mounts. Very cool system and a great amount of people at Canton.

I will mention, with my published 527 cid side oiler engine project, I'm getting all the system for a extremely great price, for advertising their products, as well as all the engine parts. The article is a comparison between the 60's side oiler and the new Genesis, as 40 + years, many things have changed to bring this engine up to date. Two of the magazines are Car Craft and kit Car Builder.
I'm very excited.

The entire build will be posted here and several other websites, with photo's and video.

I assume these are the ones you bought ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 07-12-2010 at 08:55 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Oil filters

I use the Canton pictured for the oil filter, for fuel I have used Aeromotive SS Pump and filters.
I have tried to upload some photos from my 16 year old Mac G3 computer and CC doesnt like the size, I am waiting for the new Imac out soon so will update my pictures then.

Good stuff with the oil filter and I buy a 6 pack of filters to last me a while, as some of this stuff isnt that available here in NZ.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

lol, I thought my 2003 desk top was OLD !
Now,..... I don't feel so bad.

I also ordered the 6 pack of filters and two of the billet mounts to replace the clamps. Should be a hot set-up.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good point Ralphy.

Yes, a dual filter in series would allow you to drive longer between oil changes. It just does not get the oil any cleaner. It does place more load on the oil pump, thereby increasing drag a bit.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

The dual setups are in parallel.

Use a small micron filter (Mobil1) on one side and a high flow (Ford racing, WIX) on the other, and get flow and good filtration.

Bob
Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

The filters are parallel. That means it goes from a manifold on one side, through both filters to a manifold on the other side, then back to the engine. There's no advantage to using two differant types of filter that I can think of.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oops bobcowan. You changed the original reply I was responding to.

Yes, both filters should be the same in a parallel setup. If parallel, then the clear advantage is the reduced load on the oil pump, along with the addition of a quart of oil. Time to service would be extended as well.

Last edited by Skuzzy; 07-13-2010 at 09:28 AM..
Old 07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

You're both right, you're both wrong.

Using two different filters (one which passes a lot of oil and one which traps very small particles) gives us the best of both worlds - good flow and good filtration.

Since I don't have this setup I'm using a Moroso Racing filter (27 microns) in an effort to get improved flow without the down side of a typical 60 micron racing filter.

Bob
Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought the Moroso was a 10 micron ?
Anderson at Gessford gave me one when I visited him a while back.

Looks like Canton's is 8 micron. Why a 27 ? That's a big difference.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I thought the Moroso was a 10 micron ?
Anderson at Gessford gave me one when I visited him a while back.

Looks like Canton's is 8 micron. Why a 27 ? That's a big difference.
Both Moroso & Wix are at 25 (or real close). Supposedly, Moroso's engineers have opined that particles smaller than that cause no damage to the engine and that filters that brag that they go down to 10 microns, or the like, are actually accomplishing nothing. Now don't bash me; I don't know. Yes, I do use a Moroso filter, and I'm sure you can find the Moroso engineer's theories with a bit of Googling....