28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default how do i wire these tail lights?

Ok
So I have a set of superformance square tail lights with dual bulbs.

Each bulb socket has three wiring (male) prongs on it. I want both light low elemeents to be on for parking lights. High filimemt on top bulb for turn signal and high filiment on bottom bulb for brake light.

The casing is metal and I think the bulb sockets are shorting eachother out.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Auto Restoration and Service
Not Ranked     

There should be markings on the bottom of the bulb sockets E is Earth, 1 is brake/turn, 2 is park.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageUpgrades View Post
There should be markings on the bottom of the bulb sockets E is Earth, 1 is brake/turn, 2 is park.
Mitch
You say turn/brake as of is one wore in the same. I have three wires at each tail light.
1 brake wire from my fuse box (+12) to brake switch then split to both tail lights
1 running light wore split to both tail lights
1 turn signal at each light

These 3 wires come from the fuse pannel on my American autowire 15 circuit wiring harness.

Grounds I was going to wire straight to the chassis at each light.

Do I have something wrong?

The reason I went with the (2x) 3 prong sockets was so that I could have my brake lit up on one bulb while my turn signal was on at the other. (so bothh can operate at the same time)
Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Dlotz,
A double filament bulb requires three connections: 1) the ground serves both filaments; 2) one wire with 12v illuminates the brighter filament for brakes and/or turn signals; 3) one wire with 12v illuminates the dimmer filament for running/parking lights. If you car is equipped with a brake/turn signal system, you can have the bright filaments in all four rear bulbs serve as both brake and turn signal lights. If you car, like mine, is not so equipped, you can run your turn signal wires to the bright filaments on one bulb on each side, and the brake light wires to the bright filaments on the other bulbs on each side.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Dlotz,
A double filament bulb requires three connections: 1) the ground serves both filaments; 2) one wire with 12v illuminates the brighter filament for brakes and/or turn signals; 3) one wire with 12v illuminates the dimmer filament for running/parking lights. If you car is equipped with a brake/turn signal system, you can have the bright filaments in all four rear bulbs serve as both brake and turn signal lights. If you car, like mine, is not so equipped, you can run your turn signal wires to the bright filaments on one bulb on each side, and the brake light wires to the bright filaments on the other bulbs on each side.

Tommy that is how I wired it. However the case is metal and the tabs that hold the socket into. The case are conncted to the prongs that the wires connect too. Therefor grounding out. With the blinker on it stops flashing when I step on the brake and light up ythe other bulb.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlotz View Post
Mitch
You say turn/brake as of is one wore in the same. I have three wires at each tail light.
1 brake wire from my fuse box (+12) to brake switch then split to both tail lights
1 running light wore split to both tail lights
1 turn signal at each light
ERA uses a trailer relay under the dash to allow the two filament bulb to blink while the brakes are pushed and the tail lights are on.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-24-2016 at 12:32 PM..
Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Tommy that is how I wired it. However the case is metal and the tabs that hold the socket into. The case are conncted to the prongs that the wires connect too. Therefor grounding out. With the blinker on it stops flashing when I step on the brake and light up ythe other bulb.
I'm having a hard time getting my head around what you've said. It sounds like you said all three wires ultimately connect to a common metal case. Surely that is not how it was intended to be. It sounds like it is time to get out the multimeter and check for unintended connections between the three circuits. If, with the bulb removed, they all do share a common electrical connection, something is manufactured wrong.

Second thought added later:
Are you saying there are two bulb sockets in one taillight assembly? If that's the case, I would expect there to be one ground wire serving both sockets (and perhaps the case serves that purpose), one tail light wire serving the dim filaments on both bulbs, one wire for the brake light to power one bright filament on one bulb, and one turn signal wire to power the bright filament on the other bulb. In that case, the three WIRES are: tail, turn and brake. You'd have to run your own ground wire to ground the case.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 07-21-2010 at 11:16 AM..
Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I'm having a hard time getting my head around what you've said.
Me too. But if he has only one bulb on each side of his car, and that bulb has two filaments, and his tail lights come on properly, and his brake lights work properly when he hits them, and his turn signals work properly so long as he's not pressing the brakes, and the only problem is that he can not use his turn signals and his brakes at the same time, then that is exactly what this little gizmo is designed to fix.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

I think that the SPF lights have two 1157 bulbs on each side, one filament (in "bulb A") functions solely as the brake light, another filament (in bulb B, in the same taillight) works as the signal light. No relay is necessary.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
I think that the SPF lights have two 1157 bulbs on each side, one filament (in "bulb A") functions solely as the brake light, another filament (in bulb B, in the same taillight) works as the signal light. No relay is necessary.
Yes. Two bulbs in each light. I do have them wired correctly in theory just on the wrong posts according to Mitch. I will try it tonight and use pictures this time lol.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes. Two bulbs in each light.
Well if you want to switch to a single bulb rectangular light, now you know how.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Got it figured out. Mitch was correct. I have the wires on the wrong terminals.

The SPF is a dual bulb syatem and they have very very tine lightly scribed numbers and letters by the terminals telling you which to hook up to. I never saw them.

Thanks Mitch!