LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     
Default 3M / Invisishield front mask

Hey all,

I am thinking of buying a bulk of the clear 3 m protectant for the front of the cobra. I am sure it will be pretty difficult to get this thing installed but it cant be that bad.

I was wandering for those of you who have dont this how much did you purchase and did you do the 3m or invisishield.

Finally did you use the 18 in wide or 24 inch.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2644 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I had VentureShield installed on the full front, rear fender, front and lower rear. When the car was new, a few chips showed up after 100 miles. It's now been 2,000 miles and no new chips. For my money it's priceless... Cost with install was 650.00 I feel it's money well spent..
Old 07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I've been thinking the same thing and am shocked at the cost to get just the pre-cut pieces! I think it is harder than you think, but I'm interested enough to give it a try with the roll.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

there is a bra for spf that may be the sweet spot. It runs about $200, if I ever get the one I ordered I will let you know how it looks and fits.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by priobe View Post
Hey all,

I am sure it will be pretty difficult to get this thing installed but it cant be that bad.
I have Xpel on my Cobra, which is a clear material, not sure if it's 3M or some other. I watched the guy install it and I think it will be a lot more challenging than you think, since there a so many different curves on the nose of the car. Good luck!

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
there is a bra for spf that may be the sweet spot. It runs about $200, if I ever get the one I ordered I will let you know how it looks and fits.
Where did you order this bra from?

And is the material clear plastic or leather / vinyl ?

Also, how long has it been since your order?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is vinyl and Hillbanks has them. I ordered two weeks ago? They also have them listed on ebay and if you order through ebay you get free shipping if you go directly to hilbanks you get charged $20 shipping, LOL!

I think it may be the cats meow, we dont drive these things in the rain, they stay clean, i know the clear coat on a spf is thick thick thick, so if a rub marked occured it could be buffed easily.

If you call them aske them where is mine!!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I paid the extra money and had them installed. I to watch some of the install, not that easy. And if something goes wrong I'll just take it back.

I would recommend doing the full front to the hood line. Lower rear fenders right by the end of the side pipes and lower rear fender behind the wheel. These seem to be the most nicked spots..

If done right you can hardly see the lines..
Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I purchased the Invincashield pre-cut product for my ERA when I got the car in 04. At that time Invincashield had only one or two pre-cut Cobra packages although I understand they have more now.
Had the installation done by one of their recommended installers and watched the guy put it on. Took several hours but looked good when he finished.
Fast forward 6 driving seasons and 40,000 miles. The product is still holding up very well. There have been one or two places where larger stones have penetrated the product but over all it has done an outstanding job. A number of club members have far fewer miles on their cars and you can really see the damage.
Very pleased with the product's performance. If I'm careful about cleaning the edges of the material where it meets the paint you can't even see it from 10 feet away.
A new alternative that I've just become aware of is a product that's applied by your local paint/body shop. Supposed to be just like the 3M product but applied like paint. One of our club members just got an RCR GT40 and had the entire front end shot and you can't even tell it's on the car. Don't have any durability information yet but if it holds up it may be the real way to go in the future.
Other local people I've talked to have had the 3M product applied by shops recommended by their local Porche dealers. The apparently use it quite often on the front of the Porches.
DonC
Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I came across this site that has it pre cut and the price is pretty reasonable. Better then buying the bulk and trying to make template yourself.

Has anyone used this?

http://www.clearmask.com/vehicle_page.php
Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII
Not Ranked     

I have the templates already cut for Superformance MkIII's, Backdraft Cobra's, and Shelby CSX4000's. I have not had the opportunity to get templates made for other manufacturers yet. The kits are $325. I can put you in touch with the closest installer as well.

SPF - Click Here

Backdraft - Click Here

Shelby CSX4000 - Click Here
Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodard View Post
I have Xpel on my Cobra, which is a clear material, not sure if it's 3M or some other. I watched the guy install it and I think it will be a lot more challenging than you think, since there a so many different curves on the nose of the car. Good luck!

Agree. It's no piece of cake to install, even for the experts. Apparently Cobras and Jags are the toughest to install.

I've had mine installed on my car since I took delivery 3 years ago. I'm still getting some chips just above the film line, but overall it's holding up very well.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dynamic,

I have a Everett Morrison so I am guessing I would need to have a template made. I did not realize these cars vary so much since most claim to be molded from a an original CSX. Also my zip code is 33175 for the installer in my area.

Is there a charge for making the template and what would be the charge for installation
Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII
Not Ranked     

Tint World in Ft. Lauderdale is an installer and they can be reached at Phone: 954-776-2277

The patterns that we created were taken off of the cars we actually did installations on. You could always try the Shelby pattern, but I cannot be certain it would fit without some modifications. See if Tint World would be interested in making a pattern for your car.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dynamic,

I was quoted $800 - $1200 for the process. Does this sound correct?

this product is looking better and better
Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree anything is better than nothing!!!! Nothing will stop a big rock, even the clear film. When you pull the film off if the clear does not come off the paint chip will be there, the clear film holds the paint in place.

I recommend getting somehting and stay way back from other cars!!!! It is not that hard.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got mine complete front and rear, installed for 650.00..
Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Has anyone used Clear Mask kit

Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just received my bra (for the SPF LOL) from hilbanks. I was blown away by the qualilty, I have no idea how they make it for the price I was charged $200. No doubt it will PROTECT the front of the car. I have not installed yet but will this weekend after I wash the car. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by priobe View Post
Has anyone used Clear Mask kit

Sent you an email regarding Auto Candy Store in Sturt, FL.... Mark