Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 351W stroked
Not Ranked     
Default Kuhmo tires

Here is the tire that Dad and I have chose for the Cobra.
Has any one here run them before? If not I geuss we will find out.

http://www.ityre.com/en/tyres/catalog/kumho/model/21320
Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Great looking tire and the description makes it sound like a great track tire. Let us know once you use them how they work out. I might be looking for a good autocross tire once my car is finished.

Bob
Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, the Y speed rating is over a 180 mph, that should cover you.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I haven't tried them yet but I'll be buying them some time in the next 6 months or so. At about 1/2 the price of Michellin Pilot Sport PS2's, the price is right and most of the feedback on the various forums has been pretty positive.

Chris
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Hadn't looked at this one......I did check out the Kumho ECSTA-asx and the NITTO 555's and found them to be within 8 to 10 dollars of each other in price......was thinking I would probably go the Nitto's after reading reviews on both.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     

Clutt GT,

Pleaser post when you get a few rides on them. I am starting to look at new tires and the reports on these are really good so I have been leaning towrads them. Does anyone have an opinion on the Eagle F1? Has anyone heard of the Vredestein ULTRAC Sessante? I saw these on the internet and they have a 280-AA-A rating. Just curious..... I am looking to get tires within the month or so.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1476 - Keith Craft 445ci, 636hp 613tq
Send a message via Skype™ to skippy
Not Ranked     

Just got mine from Vintage wheels with their 17inch rims. I will also post my thoughts next week.

Skip
Old 07-29-2010, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ex-owner ERA FIA 2062
Not Ranked     

I've autocrossed the Kuhmo XS for the last 2 years, I'm on my second set. They are great on dry pavement, very sticky after a little warm-up, and will handle the heat well. They also seem to get better with age (just like us drivers!) I got about 150 runs (240 course miles+ 3000 street miles) on my first set. In the wet, they are, well, how should I say, ....not quite so good.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great Skip, I look forward to hearing what you think also.

Smallblockhead, I have heard the same about the dry/wet traction. Is there a tire out there designed for both? I don't know of any in the ultra performance group. Just for my edification, these tires are supposed to be hydrids? track/street?

For my application I am looking for a track/street tire also considering tread wear and ride comfortability. These appear to be the best bang for the buck. Anyone have any words on the higher end tires compared to these?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ex-owner ERA FIA 2062
Not Ranked     

BBfangs,

The Kuhmo XS is just an ultra high performance street tire which was attractive to me because it came in the right sizes (275/40/17 and 315/35/17). Car and Driver (Aug 2009) did a test of 9 different HP tires, and the Dunlop Star Spec came out best all around, Kuhmo was third, but the tire size availability sealed the deal for me.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Here's a link to the Car and Driver tire test: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

If you aren't concerned about wet traction, it looks like the Kumho would have likely come out on top.

Chris
Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am still wondering if anyone has heard of the Vredestein ULTRAC Sessante made by a company in the Netherlands? The reviews on these seem to be that they are a great tire, dry or wet roads. Personally, I would like exceptional dry traction, good wet traction (although my car hasn't seen the rain yet), high wear rating, and a decent ride. Probably a pipe dream wanting all that but.....I guess most important to me is dry traction and comfortability. Noise is not a consideration since I can't hear much over the pipes. Anybody have any other ideas that haven't been talked about?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My other concern is the sidewall height. I don't want a really low profile tire that looks ridiculous on the cobra. The Vredestein ULTRAC Sessante might be too low but haven't seen any in person.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the 285/40 -17 in the rear due to the "tall" sidewall. I know its a bit on the narrow (width) side but I dont like those 17" tires that look like they are riding on the rims. I agree with BBfangs.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Kuhmo Ecsta XS

I have Kuhmo Ecsta XS 315-35-R17 for my rear and 275-40-R17 in the front and they are just about perfect for a cobra. I paid about $780 with shipping, which is a good deal for a performance tire. To get any cheaper you have to get a Sumi. You will have a hard time finding a performance tire for a 15" wheel that compares with these. They have enough sidewall to look authentic for a cobra.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

BBfangs,

I use the Good Year F1 for daily use. Mine are the low profile 315/35 ZR17 on the rear and 245/40 ZR17 on the front. They have a treadwear rating of 280 so they are not very soft. I have over 12K miles on them and they show very little wear.

I tried them on a road course once and ending up buying Kumhos for this type of use.

The F1's ride about the same as the Kumhos if you are going in a straight line and not under a lot of acceleration, but are nowhere near as sticky. The Kumhos do pick up much more debris from the road than the F1's even when they are cold.

J
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Kuhmo Ecsta XS

It is worth noting that the only bad marks the Kuhma Ecsta XS receives are for wet traction. Otherwise, they receive top billing. For a cobra that won't be driven in the rain, the wet traction shortcomings are not a showstopper for me.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...csta_xs_page_9
Old 08-02-2010, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcnicho View Post
I have Kuhmo Ecsta XS 315-35-R17 for my rear and 275-40-R17 in the front and they are just about perfect for a cobra. I paid about $780 with shipping, which is a good deal for a performance tire. To get any cheaper you have to get a Sumi. You will have a hard time finding a performance tire for a 15" wheel that compares with these. They have enough sidewall to look authentic for a cobra.
I have these tires too and they grab the pavement like an ex wife grabs an alimony check!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

jhv48 - That is funny, I know what you mean. I think I may start another thread to see what, if anyone, thinks about the Vredestein ULTRAC Sessante tires. They seem comparable to the Kumho's just better in the rain. I also agree since it won't see much rain that is not a stopper for me with the Kumho's. I guess I should mention because I don't think I have yet, I am running 315/35/17 on the rear and 245/40/17 on the front like Roush #1. I didn' take into consideration that the stickier they are the more they are going to kick up.

I'm sure there have probably been several threads like this that have been beat down but I would like to see. Thanks for all the feedback and I am sorry if I took over the thread.