28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     
Default A pilgrimage to see two original Cobras...

Guys,

July 31, 2010 was a perfect day in Upstate NY, no threat of rain, low humidity, and I was able to plan a run out to see Jim Taylor's Auto Collection. Jim is a very successful man and as unpretentious and gracious as they come. He also happens to own some of the coolest cars on the planet! I've been keeping track of local Cobra owners, so I got the word out and had a group of 25 show up. And we were in for a real treat!

Our "Cobras"

His Cobras

CSX2171 Slab Side with all the patina left from racing and sitting in a barn for 13 years. Had a full mechanical restoration but all the dirt and grime was left behind for us to enjoy!

CSX3299 Unmolested 427 Street Cobra, only 6000 some miles, was repainted before the owner purchased 6 years earlier but everything else as delivered in 1967 with original brake pads.

I met Jim at the SVT Cobra All Ford Show at the Saratoga Auto Museum on July 3rd when he drove his '63 289 Cobra to the show, later his '67 427 street rolled in. He is not afraid to actually drive his cars.

I got to "drive" a real one! Felt right at home, not that much difference, other than 350K in value.

His D-Type, he happens to "like" Jaguars....A lot!

Here's a link to the rest of my photos:

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ction/?start=0

Link to photos from the July 3rd show:

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ow%207-3-2010/

Enjoy!

Pat
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/80663-my-cobra-build.html

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!

Last edited by ICBomber90; 08-14-2010 at 08:53 AM..
Old 08-02-2010, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Pat,
That was really neat. I think guys like Jim are the best. They make sure that these cars will stay around to be enjoyed for generations.
From the photos I can see he is doing a super job of that too.

Hersh
Old 08-02-2010, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 351 W
Not Ranked     

I have been a friend of Jims for a number of years and he is one of the most gracious individuals I have met. He has an unbelievable collection and I have driven both Cobras during my visits to the Saratoga area. It is certainaly worth looking at his collection that has been posted here.

Actually if my memory serves me well the 289 was a barn find that has been written about here previously and was sitting with the original dirt and grime since 1971 until it was "found " several years ago.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What a fantastic collection! I saw CSX2191 at Amelia Island this year. It was a real treat to look at an original original. I noticed the chrome "COBRA" lettering on the fenders that I don't recall seeing on any other car. Anyone know if they were original or an owner add-on?

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 08-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Sweet post! Thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

I spied a GT-40 in one of the pictures, any details on that?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kevin,

That's a Ford GT with Gulf colors, Jim said that one of the few cars he won't drive because he feels it will be worth "significantly more" than he paid for it.

If you like Ford GT/GT-40's you missed this at Lake George Summer Run!

CAV GT-40

Pat
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80663

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!

Last edited by ICBomber90; 08-02-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbomber90 View Post

csx2191 slab side with all the patina left from racing and sitting in a barn for 13 years. Had a full mechanical restoration but all the dirt and grime was left behind for us to enjoy!

Pat
csx2171
Old 08-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Pat,

Great photos and amazing cars ... and from all accounts a wonderful host.

It's so good to see these cars appreciated, well taken care of and not locked away in a garage never to see the light of day.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Snake View Post
csx2171
Only going on what was written on its entry banner at Saratoga....

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80663

Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Those sure are sweet. Anyone in the Denver area on Saturday should be sure to take a drive to the Boulder/Longmont area and see the Shelby American Collection. More originals in one location than I know of anywhere. Plus there is almost always stock from Larry H Miller's collection - a Daytona Coupe or GT40 or something - there.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 08-03-2010 at 09:15 AM..
Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry to jump in... I specifically registered on Club Cobra today only because I found this post and am personally interested...

I think I can confirm this is CSX2171, not CSX2191. Besides what I found here (showing closeups of the same Utah license plate), my father happens to be a former owner of CSX2191. He owned CSX2191 circa 1967 through '72 or '73, I believe. I was born late '70, and have photos of myself with the car that are undated, but I appear to be around 2 yrs old. CSX2191 was blue at the time (Guardsman Blue, I think?). In the AC Cars chassis register CSX2171 is listed as "white red trim" and CSX2191 is listed as "bright blue black trim".

Having said that, I've always been on the lookout for CSX2191 (which is how I got here today!). Anyone who ever stumbles onto information on its current state is welcome to send me a note!

Thanks,
Bryan Jones
Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tried to reply to this earlier today, but it seems to have lost my post. Apologies in advance if it shows up later and this ends up a double post!

I'm not questioning Jim Taylor, the owner, but I think I can independently confirm that is CSX2171, not CSX2191.

I found reference here to CSX2171, and photos at that site show what has to be this white slabside... right down to the matching Utah license plate.

But more importantly, my Dad owned CSX2191 from circa '67 or '68 through circa '73 (I don't know exactly the year he sold it, will have to ask him next time we talk). It started out as Guardsman Blue (which the AC Cars LTD Register of Cobra Chassis, as reprinted in "Cobra: The First 40 Years" agrees... CSX2191 - "bright blue black trim", and CSX2171 - "white red trim"). Later, CSX2191 was painted Maroon. But I can tell you it wasn't white, and in a barn, in 1971! I have photos of me as a toddler of a couple years old with that car... and I was born late '70. We've lost track of 2191 over the years, but I'd dearly love to know where it might be now (which is how I happened to stumble on this particular forum posting!). If anyone actually does hear of a lead on 2191 I'd love it if you let me know.

The 427's are unquestionably bad-ass, but the Mark I and Mark II Ace-chassis 289's have a special place in my heart.

-Bryan

p.s. I gather, from reading some other posts on Club Cobra, that quite often the history of specific serial #'s are sometimes kept quite "close to the vest"... not really sure I understand why... but apologies if I've offended anyone by sharing my personal history with CSX2191.