Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     
Default Weather Man Sucks!

I tell you I could have enjoyed a great time out with some fellow Cobra boys this week end but I listened to the weather man instead! Let's see 1" to 3" of rain was "predicted" here in Ga. and we got 0!!! Now did it look like it was going to rain, yep, but nothing!! I guess I really should blame mother nature but she doesn't have all the computer models and quadruple radar etc. Now, I'm stuck because next weekend my Mother in Law is coming and I've got to be the good husband and stay home! I could have had a great run to the mountains, lunch at the Tilted Kilt, and a great ride home, BUT NOOOO! Sorry to vent, Thanks I feel better! Maybe next time "Pig" and company! Matt
Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 1774 / 392 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

I have done the same thing too! I don't have much faith in the weatherman also!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Put it this way the weather man is the only job you can have and be dead wrong week after week and still have your job.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     
Default Weather Man

Yep he got me to. I missed a car show because he predicted a 60 percent chance of rain an it looked like rain. It rained but not till about 6 pm, that doppler radar sucks, if you look at it, it looks like its raing everywhere. Sometimes you have to be like Columbus an take a chance it will not rain till later.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     

That's why words like percent chance, scattered, etc. are used. It's nothing more than a probability based on history under similar conditions.

In other words, "It is what it is".

Mark
Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     

I told my son when he goes to college to study meteorology so he can get paid for not being right and not be held accountable. I had jus tthe opposite experienc ethis weekend. I got all ready to go to a cruise and it started to rain buty there was nothing on radar and plus it wasn't called to rain. I remember the weather men being more correct when I was younger.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What is a weatherman?

A weatherman is a "person" with $600,000,000.00 worth of equipment,
AND a hunch.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Yep, well Karma's a *****! After venting about rain and the weather men sucking guess what happens! YEP, I take the ole girl out and got stuck in a freggin down fall! It wasn't supposed to rain till after 10:00 PM so I figured I had plenty of time to take her to the baseball field for my sons practice. Well about 8:30 it all came down HARD! It really wasn't so bad except for the A$$HOLE that decided not to let me pass and blocked me in for 3 miles! I was flashing my lights as I couldn't see for all the spray off of his car and the car he blocked me with. I can't blame the car in front of me as she was a 16 year old girl just doing what her dad told her to do. But the buy in the truck was just a jerk! When I finally got passed him at a light I think he FINALLY noticed I had NO top and backed off! All was OK at speed because the water sheds off pretty quick. But if I had been stuck in traffic, that would have sucked worse.

Now, heck I don't know when I should drive this car I swear! Maybe I should just put rain X on and buy a tonneau cover and say screw it! The car was almost spotless buy the time I got home, that was great! Lesson Learned! Matt
Old 08-17-2010, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I consult one of the many animated radar pics when I go out. They also have these for iPhones which I can take with me. After you spend time with these, you get pretty good at timing when the rain will hit vs. how long it will take you to get back to the garage. Each animated frame is time stamped so you can judge the speed of the precipitation.

This is a good app; http://weather.weatherbug.com/

Enter your zip in the search box. Go to the Radar & Maps link at the top and pic any of the maps. The "interactive map" in animate mode works well for tracking percip. They also have a great iPad and iPhone app.

Last edited by TButtrick; 08-17-2010 at 04:11 AM..
Old 08-17-2010, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick View Post
I consult one of the many animated radar pics when I go out. They also have these for iPhones which I can take with me. After you spend time with these, you get pretty good at timing when the rain will hit vs. how long it will take you to get back to the garage. Each animated frame is time stamped so you can judge the speed of the precipitation.

This is a good app; http://weather.weatherbug.com/

Enter your zip in the search box. Go to the Radar & Maps link at the top and pic any of the maps. The "interactive map" in animate mode works well for tracking percip. They also have a great iPad and iPhone app.
100% agree with you. Do it all the time. A picutre is worth a thousand words.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters '66 427 Replica-SOLD
Not Ranked     

Rain follows me and my car......if I even think about taking a ride it clouds up lately.....SNAKE BIT!!

Just quit watching the weather and do your thing....then you'll have a 50/50 chance of being dry...it used to work all the time!!