Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default First time driving impressions

I finally got my car! Yippee!!!! Drove from Tucson to New Hampshire last week to get my Contemporary from Nick Acton. Since I had never been behind the wheel of a cobra before I drove it up and down his driveway for a few hours to get comfortable with the car. To back track, before I could drive it I had to pull out the drivers seat so I could fit in it!!!! (I'm 6' 5" and 280lbs) With the seat out and and a bar stool cushion on the floor I fit in the car great, even with the hard top on! I know Nick has a few pics, perhaps he can post them. In the 4 days I was in NH driving the car around and working out the bugs I logged close to 600 miles!!!! I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!! If I were able to I would marry it! The car is stupid fast, the steering is razor sharp, and it handles like a dream. The ride is harsh to say the least, hitting a road reflector feels like I've run over a boulder, but that is to be expected considering the heavy duty jag suspension. After reading this forum the last few years I was expecting a white knuckle ride where the car was always trying to run off the road, but it handles very nice, no tracking or going where I don't want it to, even one handed. The front wheels need balancing, they get that out of balance shimmy between 95 and 110 mph. Bottom line, after wanting a cobra my whole life and after searching for one some what seriously the last three years, I feel like all of my expectations were surpassed and I couldn't be happier!!! Mark

PS...I towed the car back home with a dolly and she is now safe at home with me in Tucson.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very cool! You'll have to post some pics.
Larry
Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Congrats! Post some pics!

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I will get some pics up later once I get them on my computer. Here's one Nick took when I first got into the drivers seat.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Awesome!
post a pic of your "drivers seat" too
People who have never driven one of these cars just don't get it
Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Neutral     

I never felt that CSX3121 was going to run off the road. Along with the Cobra, I had a 330 GTC Ferrari (the good old days!), which was acknowledged to be one of the best handling production cars of the day. I was confident that on most roads, I could get from point A to point B quicker in the Cobra.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You should be head in the clouds congrats.I remember the first time my car was driven from the shop it was built in.We even took pictures of the grass it matted down.Pretty exciting cars and always anxious everytime I climb in.Good Luck
Old 08-19-2010, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1476 - Keith Craft 445ci, 636hp 613tq
Send a message via Skype™ to skippy
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I certainly remember that feeling, and that goes back 7 years now.

I got the car shipped from Dynamic in Ohio back then, opened the container doors ( Antwerp Port Belgium) and there was the dream, (think i have attached pics). I have never sat or even driven a Cobra, but i just had to have one. So you can imagine when i first started it up... Holly Molly, then a 3 hour drive back home from the port, Since then and every time i now have those official stupid smile marks on my face.

Seven years later, when i walk to the garage with the keys in hand, i have always that lump in my throat of the next anticipated cruise.

Happy cruising, keep it straight and keep it safe and enjoy.

Skip.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ours was delivered in February 1993 during one of the worst ice years we could remember.The tractor trailer driver was great and very patient.We had to drag our crated Cobra across our back yard completely covered with ice,into the shop.Dragged it with a garden tractor and chained wheels.Uncrated it that night it was 10 above zero and used the wood for kindling in our wood stove.You can bet we celebrated and got lots of pictures.Building the car took a couple of years,it was worth every minute and penny spent.