28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     
Default Cool Cobra Dudes - Who helped you?

The 767 thread got me to thinking about my own situation, Cobra build efforts, and the pretty cool people that helped me along the way with advice and such. I got to wondering about other people's experiences with "cool Cobra dudes" and how they'd helped you. I'd start, but I'm interested in other people's tales:

A couple of years into my Cobra build my son was diagnosed with Leukemia, and my life turned upside down. The little spare time I had I put into my Cobra. Funds dried up, and I still needed to buy an engine. Enter Larry Davi, a.k.a. "Mr. Potato Head". He gave me an outstanding deal on a recently rebuilt 302 which I've been running for a year and a half. Not only that, Larry was more than glad to show me his ERA 289FIA when I wanted to see one---and, he let me drive it. In the end, I got my son through his Leukemia treatment AND I got my Cobra running and painted. Without the "Mr. Potato Head" engine, I'd still be waiting to drive my Cobra.

My story wouldn't be complete witihout mentioning the friends that helped me on my initial fire-up and getting my painted car off the trailer and into the garage: Tim Brown and Got-the-Bug Doug.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cool dudes in my build were all the seasoned owners I talked to,and got all my questions answered.Not all of them were Cobra dudes.Some were racers,my engine pro has drag raced over 30 yrs,suspension guy has been racing over 20 yrs.All helped me dail my car in to a point that I am always looking over my shoulder for LEO's.Now on the hunt for rear view mirrors that let me keep better track.Tsk Tsk
Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

The Cobra Dudes that helped me were the Mile Hi Cobra club. One member in particular saw how much carb trouble I was having and offered to help me out, just stop by his house when I had time. When I go there he handed me a box with his unused Holley. He had spent all the time to get it tuned and perfect, then changed routes. I put it on my car, fiddled with the power valve a little and that was it, no problems with it since. he wouldn't let me pay him for it even!

The same guy offered to let me drive his Midstates to make sure that I liked the quality of the car but I just couldn't drive another man's Cobra. Instead we went for a drive with him behind the wheel and I was sold, I ordered my Midstates almost instantly.

Brandon
Old 08-25-2010, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

Some of the cool Cobra dudes who have helped me along the way are,Fasterpatrick,Mickmate,Elmariachi,PaulProe,Fas traxsg, and many who have posted here on Club Cobra and answered many questions we have as we build. THANKS TO ALL who help all of us just by posting.

Carl
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8

Last edited by 63mercury; 08-25-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Owe most of it to my Dad and the rest to the guys at ERA and everyone one on this site. My Dad had his own auto body shop in the 30"s then gave 5 years to the US Army during WWII. Came back, got married and had me. He worked for auto body shops and building fire truck bodys. He came down with lead poisining from all the lead in the paint and using lead to fill the seams. He worked for Ford on the assembly line, and ended up a maintenance supervisor for Rutgers University when he retired. Taught me everything I know about cars. He got me a job in an auto body shop at the age of 15 just sweeping the floors. I worked there part time through high school and college. Thats where I learned how to do auto body work and painting. He passed away before I was able to build the Cobra, but I know he was looking down with a smile while I was doing the build and he is always in my thoughts when I drive the car.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

John, He's rid'n shotgun with you every time, just glance to the right.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

The person i got a lot of help from was Bob Kallio ( former owner of Midstates )...
he was there to amswer questions and always had the parts on hand...
when i arrived to pickup my kit he closed the shop and spent the rest of
the time i was there with me and even let me and the wife take his personal
car for a drive and treated us to an awesome chicken lunch from a local diner...
the other person that helped a lot was my son Clint....thanks Clint.....
one of these days i just might let him drive my Cobra...
Old 08-26-2010, 04:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Debts of gratitude to a list of Texas Cobra Club members in Dallas, namely:

John Ross, Steve Seitz, Sam Watson, John Dean, Patrick Clay, Richard Parker, Nathan Parker, Jim Jacobs, and Jay Nordstrom.

Also Mike, Rich, and Jason at Hurricane.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I should have included in my list of Cobra Dudes is Cobra Restorers,Tubular Automotive (headers),Fortes for drivetrain,all the local people,above all the wife for putting up with all the time I spent in the shop.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP532, KC427FE, TWM
Not Ranked     

My Brother Weston who actually inspired me to go after a Cobra build. I was going to do a different car originally. At the Autorama we went by the snake pit and my life changed! He came up multiple time times, with helpers, to help get the power train in.

My best friend Jeff who spent endless hours helping me tweak and tune the injection. He gave me the initial ideal on my throttle linkage, which has been perfect. Electrical and 100 other areas.

Many members of the Utah Cobra club who have been patient answering my questions before and after the build.

Keith Craft who has been awesome in dealing with any issues I've had on my engine. It's a fantastic power plant. Everything he said it would be!!!

The Kirkhams! David, Thomas, the Jeremy's, Sandwich, and others. These people just simply ROCK! These guys have taken care of every issue I've ever had with my Cobra, way beyond the call of duty!

It's these people, and some others, who made my dream possible!

len

www.KobraBytes.com