Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     
Default Thought you might be interested...... tires

Here are a few photos of the street tires I decided to get. They are Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. I was going to get Kumho Ecsta XS but was talked out of them from several tire dealers because of the debri they would kick up on the street. Not many people have heard of the Vredestein but the reviews online rate these very high overall. They are 280/AA/A with a Y speed rating. I have spoken to a few people that currrently own performance cars (corvettes, BMW M series, etc) that have them and they said they would definitely buy them again.

Last edited by BBfangs; 08-26-2010 at 04:07 PM..
Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     
Default Look neat!

I take it they're 17"? Nifty looking tread form.

As an aside, I had Vredestine tires on a company Chevette () buncha years ago. While the car didn't have power enough to light a 50 watt bulb, you could NOT break those tires loose on wet roads. They gave the car an actual life, turning it from a total turd into....well, something less than a total turd. The grip they had was nothing short of astounding - hope these do as well.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Vredestein (all types) is well-known in sports car circles. I have them on my MG. They have proven to be terrific tires ("tyres," in British parlance for MG, Triumph, Austin-Healey, etc., enthusiasts). I have seen them on other imported cars as well, including Porsche, Audi, VW, BMW, and Mercedes.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry, yes they are 17". That is a funny story about the Chevette. My dad had one way back when for exactly 3 months. He thought it was a total turd also and sold it fast. All the reviews say the handling of these tires is phenomenal so we'll see. I currently have Eagle GS-C tires with only 700 miles on them. They are older but I wonder if anyone would want them for a second set. I just don't have the room to keep them.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Interesting tread pattern. Whats the reasoning behind them and what is the advantage cut that way ?

How much ?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is very interesting. From what I read they did multiple test and designs to come up with this pattern. Not sure if it will work but the following is a link to a video about the Sessanta. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW2aP...eature=related
You can also review their website at www.vredestein.com

Here is a section out of a advertisment for features and benefits:

Parametric Design - Optimal design quality: profile, construction, design and contours selected according to mathematical formulae for each size.

Handling Tuned Tread Compound (HTTC) Extremely high tracking power, allowing faster cornering Measured correction of the car is possible on bends.

HTS+ (Handling Tuned Sidewall) principle with robust outer shoulders and sturdy sidewalls Very direct steering feel Optimal contact with the road surface.

Two rayon carcass layers make the tyre stable and sturdy during handling Maximum resistance to lateral forces The car stays more controllable in the most crititcal situations.

Of course it is all just words if it doesn't perform but, personally, between the design, the cost and the reviews I got sold. I hope they perform like they are supposed to. I have 315/35/17 on the rear and they were $200 ea., the fronts - 245/45/17 were $160 ea.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I thought they were for sure,....directional tires but, their not.
I agree, very impressive.

Where are they sold/dealers ?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought mine out of California from "Performance Plus Tire". They were great to deal with and had them in stock. They said there isn't a dealer in the NE. Don't know if that is true but I couldn't find one. They had the best price also. Shipping wasn't bad either, about $26 a tire, had them in 4 days. I thought they were also and was very surprised to see there not.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I ran the Vredesteins on a '79 Audi 100 back in '83, then switched to the Goodyear GT IIs. The Vreds were WAY better in the rain, and ran smoother and quieter than the Goodyears, but didn't have the dry grip of the Goodyears. Stiil, they were high quality tires and I think Vredestein is a great tire brand.

I was thinking about those for my car, too. What size did you buy?

Eric
Old 08-29-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

What is the cost of these babies? And when you buy tires online, do you go into a tire shop and have them mounted and balanced? What kind of balancing and how much does that cost?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 powerdyne supercharged
Not Ranked     

BBFangs mentions the price a few posts up. Not sure about the mounting and balancing though.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TXBLU (Eric) - I have 335/35/17 on the rear and 245/45/17 on the front. The total cost, including shipping, for me was $805.00 and I am in PA. They were shipped from California and I had them in 4 days, not bad I think.

Once the tires are delivered I take them to a local shop or someone I know and they are mounted and balanced. So in the price I mentioned earlier mounting and balancing is not included. In fact I am having them mounted as we speak. I dropped them off this morning on the way to work.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What happened to having pride in your work..... I got my mounted tires back yesterday. First I dropped them off at 7 am and was told they had no problem getting them done. I got there to pick them up at 5 pm and they were still sitting where I dropped them off at. I thought, your kidding right....I was then told they will be done right away, which they were but that is beside the point. As they were done I was putting my new mounted tires and the old tires in my truck. Well the guy comes over and tells me "sorry but we ripped one as we were taking it off. Well better one that was coming off than was going on." I approached the shop owner and he said he would give me a break on the mounting but there was nothing he could do. Well no duh!! Sorry just venting. And I know the guy. Anyway, they are mounted so I will run them over the next few days and let everyone know how they are. I guess I should be happy my rims aren't all scratched up.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have 335/35/17 on the rear and 245/45/17 on the front.
Were you able to get them in 335's for the rear? Their website shows them available in 315's but it doesn't show 335's.

Chris
Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CJ428CJ, sorry, my bad. I typed the wrong size in and I didn't catch it. No I have 315/35/17 and I believe that is the biggest size they come in as the website indicates. So far they seem awesome. I haven'y really tested them but hope to this weekend. Just a few quick rides after work.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

I'm on my 2nd season with the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tires. I like them a lot, nice ride, good in the rain, decent on the track. 315/35/17s and 275/40/17s. I'll replace next year and may buy them again as they were quite a bit cheaper than the Goodyear GS-D3s that are my favorites.
Jim
Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

That is great to hear. I am glad to hear first hnd th tthey ride nice and are decent on the track. I met someone who uses them on his corvette as a spare set on the track. Unless I get caught in the rain unexpectely I won't know if they are good in the rain. I don't have any kind of top or tonneau cover yet. The GS - D3's are great tires and were on my list until i saw the Vredestein's. A big difference in price goes along way.