LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default Engine trouble - HELP

Hi All,

I am still getting used to my 427. Today I took the car out and 3 things happened.

Water temp was above 140 c
Oil temp was above 140 c

Finally when I turned off the engine there was a little smoke (white)

Can anyone help diagnose the problem?

More background - only had the car 4 months. Low mileage. Always put in highest level of gas.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lets see 100C is 212F, 140C = way to hot on both oil and coolant!!!!!!!!! White smoke COULD indicate water in the combustion champer caused by headgasket, intake manifold gasket, cracked head, cracked block. In otherwords anything. Check oil, is it clear or milky, is it overfilled? Check antifreeze is it green or orange, even if brown might not mean anything is wrong if someone put stop leak in there. Whose engine, I assume original smith gauges, unlikely they would both be bad.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

That's over 280 degrees Farhrenheit. That's really hot. Where was the white smoke coming from? Out of your side pipes or from under the hood? Are you sure it wasn't steam from a boil over? I doubt both of your gauges are broken, so I'm inclined to believe it really was that hot.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can pull each spark plug is one of them wet with moisture, have you been adding coolant, does it need coolant now?
Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

smoke came from under the hood. Engine is roush 427r. only 4000 miles on it.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

patricktt is correct I assumed white smoke from side pipe, assuming makes an ass out of u and me, LOL!!
Old 08-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh7062 View Post
smoke came from under the hood. Engine is roush 427r. only 4000 miles on it.
That was steam. I'm thinking something like a blown head gasket and a nasty boil over.
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well take back what I said, how long to get the temp that high? Is it a new engine? If so DO NOT TOUCH IT IN ANY SHAPE OR FASHION OR YOUR WARRANTY IS VOID!!! Return to dealer!!!!

ONCE AGAIN DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING JUST RETURN TO INSTALLER/DEALER.
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have not added coolant or done anything since taking possession of the car.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MM is right. It could be a quick gasket fix, but 4,000 miles is entirely too quick a time for a problem like that. They should fix it for you.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

looking at the engine there is no mess under the hood. no boil over etc
Old 08-29-2010, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

if it was steam it was very minimal
Old 08-29-2010, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If it is out of warranty the things that could get the engine that hot is stuck thermostat closed, low coolant, air in the system. When you start you see your coolant temp rise and drop pretty quick at about 80C (180F thermostat) then stabilize, if you never see it drop then thermostat is sticking. If you run 195F Thermstat it will go to about 100C and then drop to 80C in about 4 seconds it is quite obvious when the thermostat opens.

Also you fans should auto kick on at 100C, they can easily cool the temp below 100C, even in 98F Houston my fans will cycle on and off so the capacity is there. On a side note I have mine hooked in paralles, one comes on at 80C the other 100C and the temp never gets to 100C with just one running.

On the freeway they dont run at all.
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

There is a problem removing the heat out of the engine. First check the coolant level. If the level is low, add more water (after the engine has cooled down). But where did the coolant go? If the oil has any white or brown color to it, don’t start the engine and call your mechanic. Hopefully the coolant leaked out the overflow or somewhere besides the engine oil. Don’t start the engine until you have found the problem and have fixed it. The water temp should not go much over 100 C.
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
looking at the engine there is no mess under the hood. no boil over etc
Jeez, I don't know how you'd get to 280 degrees and not squirt, but once everything cools down remove your radiator cap and see if you're low on water/coolant. It was either water/coolant or oil -- those are your only two choices.
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

also - I would say that from the exhaust the sound of misfiring a little could also be heard. it was not the smooth sound I am used to
Old 08-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
also - I would say that from the exhaust the sound of misfiring a little could also be heard. it was not the smooth sound I am used to
That could just be the result of running at 280 degrees. Something caused you to go up that high and it could be something as simple as a coolant leak, a stuck thermostat, a bad gasket... or other more serious things. First thing to do is check the coolant level.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am telling you, if it is under warranty I would not even remove the air cleaner, you better read you warranty paperwork.

I would also suggest not telling the installer/dealer anything that can be used against you. Like, I have not checked the coolant, I have not checked the oil, just ensure levels are appropriate when you take it in. Sounds fuked up but so such is life.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
I am telling you, if it is under warranty I would not even remove the air cleaner, you better read you warranty paperwork.

I would also suggest not telling the installer/dealer anything that can be used against you. Like, I have not checked the coolant, I have not checked the oil, just ensure levels are appropriate when you take it in. Sounds fuked up but so such is life.
I'm in agreement. If you can get this looked at via warranty, that's the way to go. 280 degrees is really hot. That type of temperature has been known to warp stuff, you know.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i only ran the car at that temp for less than 5 mins