Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 289 #2054
Not Ranked     
Default Looking to purchase a Cobra

I have finally made up my mind to purchase a cobra. This would be my first Cobra and I have no intention of racing this car (yet anyway). Therefore I believe a 351W is far more engine than I will ever need. I really like the lines of the FIA 289’s best but realize that market is too small and I would be equally happy with the 427 body type. I am leery of buying someone else’s build so I am leaning heavily towards Superformance or Backdraft (I realize ERA and Kirkhams are great cars but for my first cobra, spending that kind of money seams foolish). Visually I prefer the lines of the Superformance but the Backdraft is the better “bag for the buck”.
I have spent months scanning the internet (cobracounrty, club cobra, ebay, etc), educating myself on the cobra market and trying to get a good idea how much these cars are worth. I spent a lot of time at Lime Rock this past Sunday talking with many different owners and looking at different manufactured cars. Everyone I talked to seemed to know someone that was selling a car and it was really too much for me to take in.
So I’m putting this wanted add out there. I know everyone will want to know what my budget is and once I throw a number out there cars will come right in at my number. Basically I don’t have a budget, I’ll buy what I feel is the best car at the best price. If someone wants to give away a used FIA 289 ERA in the mid $40’s than great, but to give everyone some type of range for used cars $30-35k for a Backdraft and $35-40k for a Superforamce.
I hope I’m not insulting anyone with this type of search but I want to expand my search in addition to all the cars I see on cobracountry etc…
I live in North Jersey so shipping the car will be a consideration when pricing.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

at this point i would say step back and take a deep breath.......
half of the fun of haveing one of these is the search for the
right car that fits your wants/needs....take your time it's a buyers
market out there now and enjoy the hunt....good luck and dont be
affraid to ask lots of questions.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPit View Post
I am leery of buying someone else’s build so I am leaning heavily towards Superformance or Backdraft... (I realize ERA and Kirkhams are great cars but for my first cobra, spending that kind of money seams foolish).
Would this fit your wants? An ERA and it's near NJ ;-)

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...p?product=3182
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

In addition to the "Cobras for sale" sites you already mentioned, you might also want to check out the SCOF "for sale" section for resale Superformance Cobras: http://superformance.org/forsale/.

There are some very nice cars listed there.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

I sent you a PM with an FIA car in your price range that's for sale (not mine)
Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you are on the right track.
#1. I don't think anyone needs a whole lotta HP. These cars are essentially a GoKart with a V-8. The BigBlock Cars can sound really cl but that is a whole lotta extra money & A mild small block with Webers is Damn Quick! I don't have any experience driving BigBlock Cobra's but I'm told the lighter Small Block cars are also more nimble(Maybe someone can chime in here).

#2. If you fancy an FIA car, keep your eyes open. I've seen ERA's in that price range when the market was good. At the least, if you you decide you want more power you can build another block up. The quality of the car, If you buy an ERA, should be up to anyone's standards.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, All aluminum small block ford.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I I am leery of buying someone else’s build so I am leaning heavily towards Superformance or Backdraft .

Also keep in mind...just because a company built it doesnt mean it wont have problems. Like some of the others guys said....but the right car no matter who built it.

Just my thoughts
Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

A few thoughts.

1) Be honest with yourself on how radical of a cam, you will be happy to drive. The more radical sounding the idle, the more skills needed to drive the car, and the less flexible the engine is. A radical cam will not want to idle along at a steady speed in a low gear (like parking at a car show or heavy traffic). It will want to buck and hop like a bronco, if you do not know how to deal with it. Some of us love 'em; some sell their car after learning they hate it.

2) How much time do you want to spend working on the engine? If you want the reliability of a daily driver, you want a mild small block with fuel injection. If you love adjusting valve lash and freshening up the engine (pull and rebuild) every 10-20K miles then maybe a solid roller cam, fire breathing big block monster is what you want.

3) A 289 FIA body style seems to be higher on your list. Consider a 5.0 block stroker. A 331 and 347 cid stroker kit is plentiful. You can even buy a 4.125 bore after market block for some more cubes.

4) Buy a used car. No better way to learn what you do and do not like. Buy it right and you can sell it and buy something different without loosing a small fortune.

Last edited by olddog; 09-06-2010 at 11:49 AM..
Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I have a friend with a silver w/black stripe backdaft he would like to sell with a nice FE/tko 600 package in it. He has 300 miles on it and just doesn't use it. He has 5 kids (all girls). It will be close to $40k. Just send me a PM if it is something you might be interested in.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

I sent you a PM with a car that might be available. Some good stuff coming out of the barns here!!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
isually I prefer the lines of the Superformance but the Backdraft is the better “bag for the buck”.
I assume you really meant "Bang for the Buck"!

Keep in mind the diferences between the SPF and the Backdraft are not just price. There is a difference in standard equipment (top, side curtains, knock-offs, etc.) that will vary with the Backdraft dependant upon the age of the car. Now, this is not to dis the Backdraft, it is a fine car and might be right for your needs.

Just keep your eyes and mind open.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 09-06-2010, 01:33 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Quote:
I have finally made up my mind to purchase a cobra. This would be my first Cobra and I have no intention of racing this car (yet anyway). Therefore I believe a 351W is far more engine than I will ever need. I really like the lines of the FIA 289’s best but realize that market is too small and I would be equally happy with the 427 body type. I am leery of buying someone else’s build so I am leaning heavily towards Superformance or Backdraft (I realize ERA and Kirkhams are great cars but for my first cobra, spending that kind of money seams foolish). Visually I prefer the lines of the Superformance but the Backdraft is the better “bag for the buck”.
I have spent months scanning the internet (cobracounrty, club cobra, ebay, etc), educating myself on the cobra market and trying to get a good idea how much these cars are worth. I spent a lot of time at Lime Rock this past Sunday talking with many different owners and looking at different manufactured cars. Everyone I talked to seemed to know someone that was selling a car and it was really too much for me to take in.
So I’m putting this wanted add out there. I know everyone will want to know what my budget is and once I throw a number out there cars will come right in at my number. Basically I don’t have a budget, I’ll buy what I feel is the best car at the best price. If someone wants to give away a used FIA 289 ERA in the mid $40’s than great, but to give everyone some type of range for used cars $30-35k for a Backdraft and $35-40k for a Superforamce.
I hope I’m not insulting anyone with this type of search but I want to expand my search in addition to all the cars I see on cobracountry etc…
I live in North Jersey so shipping the car will be a consideration when pricing.
Welcome to the madness.......100's of Cobra's to choose from, which one is right for you depends on your tastes. A 289FIA is a great choice, will probably be my next build/buy.........Forget brand loyalty for a moment, and the associated salesman for each who want to steer you in one direction or another, where in NJ are you located. I ask because there is a Cobra breakfast scheduled for this coming Sunday at the Chesterhills Diner, RT206 in Chester,NJ. Usually start rolling in around 9am, breakfast at 9:30am.

Yours In Fords,

Bill S.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B turnkey

B&B can build you a new cobra any color of your choice, same with interior, all tubular front and rear suspention a new 302 crate engine with a 5 speed trans, original style cobra wheels, ceramic headers and sidepipes, chrome roll bar, alum radiator everything new 34,500 please take a look at our website at www.bandbroadster.com go into the owners group section where you can see hundreds of finished cars we have built over the last 30 years, this will really help with options you might want and if you have any questions please give me a call at 417 472-3547

Bryan
B&B mfg
Old 09-06-2010, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 289 #2054
Not Ranked     

Wow, I want to thank everyone for their input.
I agree with RustyBob and should slow down and take a deep breath. I’ve been watching the cobra market for about 6 months now and have been having a great time ( I can’t believe what a nice and informative group everyone is ). If I don’t pull the trigger soon I’m afraid I never will.
I have seen MRMUSTANG’s ERA for sale on and off again for the last 6 months and my needs just don’t justify a 427 sideoiler. I agree with *13* and olddog about not wanting a car with too much horsepower or a radical cam. I do not want a car I am terrified to drive. I could care less about bragging how much horse power is under the hood.
Thanks for the heads up about the get together this Sunday in Chester, it is only a half hour away and I will try and make it.
Thanks for everyone’s help, the search is really heating up
Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Just about any cobra that you can buy (FE or not) can KILL you. Have a couple of beers and you can find yourself in a world of hurt if you don't give the car the respect that it needs. Good luck to you and welcome to the world of the politically incorrect.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD-SPO2660, Southern Automotive 406FE, TKO-600
Not Ranked     

JPit, I just got back from a couple hours out and about in my Cobra. I spent about 4 years researching and finally took the plunge 4 months ago. Stopped at Walmart for my wife to pick up a couple things (yes, she likes to ride) and while she was in, had at least 5 folks stop to chat, 2 of which stayed the entire time I was waiting.....talking, taking pictures and even using their cell to have someone listen to it. I've found this to be the "norm" when I take it out. It's a rush and absolutely fun. As was said, any one of these things can kill you, so don't think going low HP is safe. I debated back and forth, but am absolutely satisfied with my BB. It's not radical, just remarkable (I know, I'm biased!).

The market is right, there are many out there reasonably priced. Don't wait too long if you see one that meets your needs! And, probably only you know what those are!! Talking with folks and following this forum will help you greatly in your search.

Good luck!

Have fun and enjoy life, because when it is over, it is too late!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     

Quote:
JPit....

I'd suggest you read a two links.... won't take long and will go a long way to cause you to think through a few questions.

The 1st link is Randy's...(IndyCobra's)... very good... http://www.pflanzer-aviation.com/RedVenomCobra/
The 2nd link is my build site... click on General Prep and the 427 Intro... http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Lastly, and very key to me, what do you want to do with/in the built process?.... i.e., do you want a turnkey build, do you want to build most of the car (like Randy), or do you want to do some of the build (e.g., interior, simple electric's hookup, plumbing, etc)? Once you come thru this, then you can narrow down the manufacture of your Cobra. My build site link will explain the process I went through and why I ended up with Unique Motorcars for my 427 S/C Cobra ( http://www.uniquemotorcars.com/ )

Good luck with your choice.... for "Your" Cobra. Have fun and enjoy.

Mark
Old 09-07-2010, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Big decision,once agonised over the same thing.Looked at a lot of cars,nothing caught my eye,finally bought what I analysed as the best deal for me.All I wanted was a solid foundation and period correct body lines.The one I purchased had all those features except for a couple of small ones that did not matter,a CMC (now out of business,sold to a great Co.)Took me 2 yrs to build the car and dail it in.In the end could not be happier.Good Luck and have fun in your search.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stern View Post
Just about any cobra that you can buy (FE or not) can KILL you. Have a couple of beers and you can find yourself in a world of hurt..............
After a couple of beers, that shed roof and the desire to learn hang gliding can KILL you!

I would never recommend driving any high HP sports car after a couple. That would be just enough testosterone and not enough inhibition to do some damage.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE-ROUCH 351W
Not Ranked     

Sir----You might check out my add here on Club Cobra for my SPF chasis no 1752 with Roush 351W crate engine. From your description of what you are looking forward this might interest you.
Randy Carter