Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Farwell for now ClubCobra.

Well it’s been a great 10 years. I sold my Cobra this weekend and it was a bittersweet farewell. I am 53 years old and growing up the Cobra was a car that I always wanted to have one day. When I was 5 or 6 years old I got an Aurora electric race car set with a red and a white Indianapolis race cars. A friend of mine had an Aurora AC Cobra body that he let me borrow. His Dad told us about the Cobra and the Fantasy began! When I was 15, I began to read every Road and Track issue I could get my hands on. I was into sports cars and Road & Track always gave proper homage to the Cobra. Growing up My dad started to notice my obsession for fast cars and tried to curb it only allowing me to build models of antique cars. So I would dutifully build a proper antique car from the model kit, but I would secretly build a hot rod out of the extra body versions that would come with the model kit.
I suffered through High School having to borrow the family Pinto, but studying all I could, I learned how to apex a turn in the Pinto. When I was 19, I bought a 1973 Fiat Spyder from my sister for $500. I got ripped off because the car was a P.O.S when I got it. But I bought a Chilton’s manual, fixed the body work, (a.k.a rust), rebuilt the motor, and with the help of my mother and an old treadle singer sewing machine, reupholstered the interior. I soon learned that “FIAT” stood for “Fix It Again Tony” but I couldn’t afford “Tony” so I had to learn how to be Tony.
I found I had a proclivity to trouble shoot and started helping my friends restore their cars. When I finished college I was on a low budget and bought a 72 El Camino that I fixed up and made some money on. Then I bought a 62 Studebaker Grand Turismo Hawk that I later sold and used the proceeds to start my own business. 15 years later, a family and few cars and motor cycles later including an 89 Mustang GT, several Pickup Trucks, a Suburban, some Jeeps and yes even a mini-van, I got my Unique Cobra. The car was fantastic and all that I had fantasied. One of my daughters got into cars (maybe just a way to meet guys) and we started showing the Cobra in shows together. We always came home with a trophy. After she got her driver’s license I even let her drive it some and show it in cars shows by herself. She’s a pretty girl and the attention she got was almost too much for a Dad to deal with! She got older and we showed the car less. Then I got into racing Legends cars and the Cobra was getting a little neglected. So I thought maybe I should sell the Cobra. If any of you are out there thinking the same thing, DON’T DO IT!! You will regret it! I am having withdrawals!
I realize that it is only a matter of time before I get another Cobra. I will probably go used next time but I will be VERY selective! Hopefully I will find a deal as good as the one I just sold!
I’ll miss everyone at clubcobra but it will only be temporary!
Farewell for now!

Last edited by Okiesnake; 09-07-2010 at 03:22 PM..
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You don't have to leave just because you sold your car. You can stick around as we are a lovable bunch as you know!
Larry
Old 09-07-2010, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well Okiesnake you must be feeling quite empty,know the feeling after selling a stroker Harley we had owned for 10 yrs.Built our Cobra in 93 and considered selling it one time until I pulled the cover off one day to show it to a perspective buyer.As soon as the cover was off I apologised and said it was not for sale.Stop in once in a while you are a family member afterall,and you will always have the bug.MDRoss
Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR MKIII 408w
Not Ranked     

Hmmmmmm...the idea of selling my cobra would be equivalent to the times I have had had to put a dog down.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Talking

Hey old buddy, you ain't going nowhere. You're gonna be checkin' in here just like the rest of us CC junkies. You may not have the Cobra but that ain't gonna stop you from readin' this board.
Besides you WILL have another cobra, it's just a matter of time and circumstance. So get another
cup a joe and start readin' and a postin',
Besides, we joined the same year and month.
Hersh
Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Yeah, you can't go. Stick around. We need your experience !
Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Come back Shane........come back!

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 09-07-2010, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     

If we show you another picture of Patrick's 2 rollbars will you stay out of pitty for the rest of us?
You could at least stay tuned in looking for a GOOD DEAL on your next COBRA.
Good Luck with those withdrawals.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Okie, you've been on here a longggg time. Going absolutely cold turkey is probably not the best route. You should continue to wade in to the fray on here from time to time, and keep on eye on the market. The "Cobra itch" is one that just doesn't seem to go away over time....
Old 09-07-2010, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Neutral     

Even as I consider joining the "no Cobra" ranks, I expect there is no anti-venom. Once bitten you're hooked for life and all you think about is coming back.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I sold the first Cobra I had, I got so depressed I HAD to buy it back. I approached the new owner and cut a deal, he wanted $3,000 more than I sold it to him. I paid it happily, I just wanted my car back.

Turned out OK in the end, eventually I re-sold the car again to buy an ERA. When the smoke had cleared, I STILL made a $5,000 profit on the car in spite of buying it twice.

That was then, this is now, prices have dropped a ton. I hold no illusion these toys are an asset and would be very glad to get anywhere near what I've invested in the hobby should I decided to sell again. ....which aint gonna happen, I'm taking this one to my grave!

Good luck with the racing program Okiesnake, I hope it brings you all the joy and more you found with the Cobra. Stick around, let us know how that Legend thing is working out.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. I am sure that I will have to live vicariously through you guys for a while until I can get another Cobra.
Quote:
let us know how that Legend thing is working out.
As of today, I am 12th nationally in points in Masters Road Course racing. http://www.uslegendcars.com/handler....42511?class=12

Last edited by Okiesnake; 09-07-2010 at 03:25 PM..
Old 09-07-2010, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I know where you are coming from. I had 6 Cobras in the past and 4 years ago I decided to go a different route and bought a 66 Mustang GT350R Replica to go racing. That lasted a year and then I went the new route with a 2007 Shelby GT500 thinking I'm 55 and new performance and air condition is the route to go.......BIG MISTAKE! I never realized how much I'd miss these little seat of your pants performance machines. Never strayed from Clubcobra or the Texas Cobra buddies and now at 58 I'm back finishing a new carbon fiber Cobra I bought in July and enjoying the whole experience again. Love these Cobras and all the Cobra owners............
Old 10-01-2010, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update:
Well my first season of Legends racing is almost over and as of Sept 2010, I am tied for 5the in the Nation in the Master's division in Legends Road Course Racing. http://www.uslegendcars.com/handler....42511?class=12The first season has been great! I race with some of the top Legends road racers and the competition has really made me a better driver.

Last edited by Okiesnake; 10-01-2010 at 06:02 PM..
Old 10-02-2010, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I once almost sold my car,the guy was ready after seeing and hearing it.Problem was after taking the cover off and seeing it the stomach started to growl and my better judgement kicked in.All I ever wanted was a Cobra,all the muscle cars I have owned over the years were great but never stirred the soul like that beast does.Hang in there