LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Motor Carriages replica
Not Ranked     
Default Clutch Cable - Classic Motor Carriages

Hey everyone,

I'm having a hell of a time finding the right cable for my car. I have a 1993 Classic Motor Carriages, with a 302 Stroked and Bored, Mustang 5.0 FI, with a Tremec T-5 Tranny. I tried ordering the parts for a Mustang and unfortunately it looks like the end are very different. I'll post some pictures when I get home, but does anyone have any advice on this?

Any help appreciated!!

Paul in Austin
Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Do you have a firewall adjuster? Does it look something like this?

If so, you can use the stock Ford cable. Just cut the rubber spacer off.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmusiclover View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm having a hell of a time finding the right cable for my car. I have a 1993 Classic Motor Carriages, with a 302 Stroked and Bored, Mustang 5.0 FI, with a Tremec T-5 Tranny.
Hello from the Houston area, Paul!

I have a story for you....have the same drivetrain as you (1989 Mustang 5.0 HO/T-5) and a cable actuated clutch. About 200 miles after picking up the car, the cable broke, leaving the clutch pedal hanging and swinging. OK, no problem, right?

WRONG!! I did the same thing you did, first went to O'Reilley's and looked at a Mustang GT clutch cable. Not even close. I went to every hot rod shop around and one of them said it looked like a Freightliner semi-tractor clutch cable, so off to NE Houston I went.....damn if they didn't come close! The cable would have fit my mounting system but was about 12-15" too short.

So, I asked about a custom cable shop.....got a few recommendations and every one of them was not equipped to make a clutch cable for me, it was WAAAAY too heavy-duty for them. Finally, I found a custom cable shop that would make my cable for me.....under a name I would NEVER have thought of trying.

If you can't find what you need, try:

Contractor's Parts and Supplies
5606 Jensen Drive
Houston, TX 77026

713-695-7162 (phone)
713-695-7810 (Fax)
1-800-736-2381 (Toll Free)

This source was able to make me a cable that at first was slightly too long and when I took it back to get it shortened, they did not charge me for the modifications (2 times). They were able to use or match the hardware on both ends of my original cable.

I recommend them highly.......just wish I had kept the name of the gentleman with whom I dealt (the card is in the name of "Jake Balk", if that helps).

Good luck, I hope your search is easier than mine!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default hi i bought a kit i'm not sure who made but could use wisdom

hi i purchased a 80% finished kit. work done looks very good however all the seller could tell me was it was formed in south carolina or its a cmc out of florida. the only differance i can find is where all cobras have side vents or indentations ny body does not have this. it came with no steps of completion ,manual or instruction so i'm building like i fly my plane by the seat of my pants. it needs steering column i read on here 65,67 mgb column work well. it has no windshield ,seats rollbars. headers or sidepipes. .has brand new built 302 and a new 5 speed and a new auto tranny so i can go either way. any builder lit would really help or some one i can talk to to guide me by steps. i would like to do a mild custom to it but not sure how yet i like to be differant. so if you can help. please do it would be a big blessing. brett 252 202 4057
Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Brett, have you checked with this source:

http://classicmotorcarriages.com/

They say they supply "...Parts For Classic Motor Carriages And FiberFab Kit Cars", perhaps they can help you in your quest.

Hope this helped.

Oh, yeah.....I'd suggest you start a specific thread asking for the information you want.....stepping on threads authored by others that have nothing to do with what you need is considered bad form hereabouts....I'm just sayin'.......

Cheers from Dugly

Last edited by YerDugliness; 09-11-2010 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: added a letter to make "the" into "they"...big difference!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My CMC kit I used a Ford pickup clutch cable in my 460 powered Cobra.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My mechanic friend who is installing it says the one end (at the pedals) goes through a eyelet and then you put a little pin through the hole in the end of the cable, to stop it from going through the eyelet... Does any of this sound familiar?

I was hoping it was something off the shelf so I wouldn't have to take it out, send it away, wait for them to build it, then send it back, etc... Though if I have to go that route, I will. I just wont be able to drive it til I get the cable
Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The pin in the hole in the end of the cable holds the cable to the pedal. On my cable, the end that went through the eyelet in the firewall was probably 1/2" OD, but the cable sticking out of the fitting on the end was the same size as most clutch cables. Once the cable is fitted and adjusted correctly, there is adequate tension to hold it in place without any sort of mechanical fastener. It is held in place by a fitting at the clutch fork on the bottom and at the "eyelet" on the cable at the pedal, the trick is getting it just the right length that you can adjust correctly for the clutch play. Mine works flawlessly.

Good luck....if you have to send off for a replacement (can't find it in a B&M), I'd certainly suggest you send not only the cable but also the fasteners on both ends to the shop that will make it so that they can match them (or, as in my case, use the existing hardware on the clutch fork). This will require you to retrieve any parts that are still attached to the car (like the little "eyelet" that attaches to the pin on the pedal...and is held in place by a cotter pin). Forget to take all the hardware with you and you get to make another trip....they must have it. Please don't ask how I know this .

Good luck....hope it works out for you......and, yeah, waiting for it to arrive is a ***** (just hope you don't have to send it back to be shortened, etc....each trip just extends the wait till the next drive). Oh, BTW, my "custom" cable was a bit over $100, but as I said there was N/C for each time I took it back to get it shortened. If you cannot get an EXACT copy made for some reason and have to choose, get it made long....it's cheaper to shorten a long one than have a second one made an inch longer, they don't do that for free......good advice from the guy who made mine!

Cheers from Dugly

Last edited by YerDugliness; 09-09-2010 at 07:07 PM..
Old 09-10-2010, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Ford pickup clutch cable has an eye on the pedal end and was a bolt in.No modification required
Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm intrigued by the pickup cable idea.....that would have made things much easier for me. Mind posting a bit of info?

What year/model pickup cable did you use?

Does the end that protrudes through the firewall look like that in post #2?

Any idea of approximate length?

TIA for whatever info you can provide.....

Cheers from Dugly

Old 09-10-2010, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm intrigued about the pickup cable too - I stopped by 3 car parts places + Ford.. they checked through many model years of F-150s, 250s, and couldn't find a part like this. Please let me know what model and year this was from!

I've included some pics of the cable. The end with the eyelet goes to the pedal.

Thanks!

Paul
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul, yours looks almost exactly like mine. It was handy for the cable company to have my old cable b/c they used the ball and spring for the clutch fork on the new cable.

I sure hope a production pickup cable will work. If so, I may well get a spare and keep it in the toolbox......they aren't hard to replace (although it is a bit uncomfortable, lying on the floor on your back with your legs up on the back end of the Cobra and your head up under the dash) and you can't drive it without one.

Hoping to hear back from mdrossi1!!!

Cheers from Dugly!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I THINK I may have found it! I browsed through NAPAonline - looking through clutch cable pics - it appears that this cable is out of a Mustang II, 1976 to 1978 - I ordered one from Autozone (quicker delivery ) under part number CA305 - NAPA part number was BK6151005. Looks to be the right length and all.. Will be here Tuesday.. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmusiclover View Post
I THINK I may have found it! I browsed through NAPAonline - looking through clutch cable pics - it appears that this cable is out of a Mustang II, 1976 to 1978 - I ordered one from Autozone (quicker delivery ) under part number CA305 - NAPA part number was BK6151005. Looks to be the right length and all.. Will be here Tuesday.. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Price?

I see you live in Cedar Park, on 183 north of Austin. My daughter lives in Austin and I visit on on a regular basis.

PM sent.

Cheers from Dugly!!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

$50 @ AutoZone, $75 @ NAPA - yes, just on the North side of Austin.. I think I'll have mechanic look into customizing up some hydraulics for me after this though.. We put in a Gold Performance Luk clutch, and (as before) it's hard on the leg pushing down the pedal. Since I wear flip flops or even take them of to drive with barefeet, that might be better. I'm tall (6'3"), so the less between me and the pedals, the more comfortable the drive!!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Man, that price beats the heck out of the price I paid for the custom clutch cable, not to mention I would have avoided 4 trips, each about 80 miles round trip, to the place where the cable was constructed.

I sure hope this cures your problem!

Cheers from Dugly!!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

mdrossi1 - haven't heard a response on this - do you have any more details on what model Ford pickup the cable you used was from? I should have my cable tomorrow - keeping my fingers crossed it's the right one!

Paul
Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry guys we have been on vacation,will be home Wednesday.Have a good memory but not back to 1994.If you still need the number of the pickup cable,I have a spare and pretty much know where it is.The pictures paulmusiclover have are very close to mine,again taking from the grey matter.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My turn to wish you luck, Paul.....I'm off for a 10 day vacation, too.

Sure do hope it works!

If it does (or, even if it doesn't), would you mind posting about the fit on the forum...I'll read all about it when I'm back!

Cheers from Dugly!!

Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good news! Cable is in, and installed, and working well! Looks exactly like the one we took out , down to the "made in isreal" tag, so this is definitely the right one.

Hope this helps you guys too! And Dugly, let me know next time you're in Austin!

Paul