Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: un decided
Not Ranked     
Default My first COBRA hunter vs ffr

Well i have been dreaming about a cobra for over 20 years (im 29 )and its time to stop playing with my other projects ( 72 ventura and 95 mustang gts ). So know i have to make up my mind in which kit to get my 2 choices are a factory 5 racing or a Hunter cobra as these are the ones in my price range but i cant seem to decide on ether one the hunter is built just 100 miles away so i could go take a look at one in person. my mane cocern right know is which is a better start actually my only complaint about the hunter is the rear fenders no lip/flair this might sound picky but ive dreamed about this car since the 4th grade as i had a folder with old #98 on it. please if you have a hunter let me know what you think and some close up pics would be apreciated as i cant seem to find any.please looking for arguments as to which one is better i like that the ffr has a bird cage and seems to have alot of support

Last edited by brian99eh; 09-13-2010 at 12:58 PM..
Old 09-12-2010, 02:36 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I'd go with the new MK IV offering from Factory Five.........More bang for your buck and closer to what it sounds like you are looking for.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-12-2010, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a Hunter and love it, but I think that the Factory Five is the best deal. Like yourself, I had narrowed it down to those two but at the time, Factory Five didn't offer the independent rear option. I was at Randy's house last November when I was down for Turkey Rod Run and he sent me over to see his boss's cars. WOW!!! I have my Hunter for sale and if I sell it I'm looking at the 33 Hot Rod for next car.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i looked up hunters cars on here and as i dont see many, no one seems to have any thing bad to say about them infact every one says they love them the stage one roller is listed at 10,600 thats with suspension and brakes the base kit ffr mk4 starts at 12990 plus shipping. i can pick up the hunter my self but would have to ship the factory five unfortunantly i have to weigh out every aspect even the few thousand dollars difernce, i could tear apart my 95 mustang and have all the donor parts to build the ffr but i would be tearing apart a mint car ,hunter frame comes with brakes front and rear corvette suspension but the body and no bird cage keeps me looking at ffr now i could build my own bird cage but i worry about adding to much weight
Old 09-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Factory Five has just invested a lot of cash and expertise in their new model cobra. More bang for your $$, take your time, do it right .... keep DETAILED records of components used - with a photo log of the build. Those will all help your car maintain value in the event you decide to sell, trade or whatever down the road.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Exrodder aside from the independant rear option that is now available on the ffr what else would you say makes the ffr a better car than the hunter
Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

looking for more opinions on a hunter vs a ffr will be buying one or the other as soon as i sell my other toys
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds to me like your on the right track with the Hunter especially it being 100 miles away.Building your own car you can have it anyway you want no matter who builds the body.After I was well into my kit heard bad things.None of them true except bad customer service.Now the Co is under new management everyhting is right.Good Luck stay focused you will be a happy camper.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Talked to Randy Hunter to day going to go and see his shop next weekend i hope
Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Take some photos and post them here so eveyone can see!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes i will take lots of pics, got my video pack from ffr man the headache i have from all this searching and comparing i want both but i am trying to wheigh out all the diferences in the two kits, hunter= corvette front and rear suspension beefy 2x4 frame tub type body ffr 4in round tube bird cage mustang suspension solid axle outer skin type body. now if some one was to rearend my mustang my decision would be made for me
Old 09-16-2010, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B cobra

Please take a look at the B&B cobra www.bandbroadster.com 32 years in the business we build everything in house so we can build the kit to any stage you want I have a turnkey minus all you need is engine and Trans, tires and wheels everything else Is done 25,995 or we have a assembled rolling kit for 17,995 please feel free to call if you have any questions, also in our website we have an owners group photo section that really helps with colors and options.

thanks
Bryan
B&B mfg.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the B&B cobras do look good but i feel that both the ffr and the hunter are more performance oriented hunter runs corvette suspension and the front suspension on the ffr looks real close to a griggs set up using the mustang spindle, adapter, adj upper arms and coilovers griggs builds some of the best mustangs around which he has beat many a ferrari around a corner in and a 3 link rear is hard to beat
Old 09-18-2010, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IMHO... it's a no-brainer.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

they both look beefy to me and i have scratch built a 2x3 square tube frame my self and can say they are real strong, it was for a 33 chevy truck body got rid of the wood in the body replaced it with 1x1 tube a 355 chevy with ported heads turbo 350 a explorer rear with 4.10 gears and old nascar slicks only two crossmembers an i never seen any movement in the body trust me it was just a shell no cage, i would add a little more of a cage to the hunter in the door area but i am not sold on either one, ffr or hunter i could order the hunter with no body tub or trunk just a shell and add a bird cage/body braces
Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

Go with the new FFR MKIV Kit. I have a MKIII with IRS and a 408W engine from KC. This car is a weapon...!!! :-) / Stephan from germany
Old 09-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...rear fenders no lip/flair this might sound picky...
Not picky at all! Some like it that way, others don't, the "little things" like that really are important. The "look" may be nearly the same to the average guy on the street, but as you study the various Cobras out there, it becomes more clear. More clear about what YOU want, which is what it's all about.

I faced the same delima, didn't really care for the overall body shape/look of my first one, eventually got an ERA because of the shape (among many other reasons for upgrading)!

FFR has a done so much better with the new look of the Mark IV.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yea i think i will have a better opinion when i see a hunter in person as far as looks go and its also more in my gota have it now price range 10,600 roller ffr base kit 12,990
Old 09-18-2010, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian99eh View Post
yea i think i will have a better opinion when i see a hunter in person as far as looks go and its also more in my gota have it now price range 10,600 roller ffr base kit 12,990
10,600 is a nice number... just make sure you are comparing apples to apples when all is said and done. Other manufacturers may seem more expensive at first glance, but... ?

By the way, I looked at one of the build threads/links (green Cobra, bottom of builds page) on the Hunter site, and the guy said he could not get his tranny out through the bottom, so he had to take the engine and tranny out as a unit through the hood opening, when he had a tranny problem! You might want to look closely at this before you commit...

Not saying that the Hunter isn't right, by any means. Just getting some info out there. Ultimately, it comes down to what YOU want and can afford. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

trust me i am as i would have to buy all the little things with the hunter