Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Oil pan I.D. and capacity

After I replace my push rods today I am going to do an oil change on my car. The only issue is that I have no idea how much oil the motor requires.... Does not seem to be a stock 1984 351w pan, and there are no marks on the dipstick, so no help there. My camera is not working, or I would post better pictures. Any input would be appreciated!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks like it could be a Milodon pan?? Dimensions are on their website.
http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/stre...ans-ford73.asp
Are you sure it's a 1984 block?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, the block is from a 1984 Crown Victoria, one of the few things I know for sure. The "sump" area of the pan measures 10 1/4" front to back. 13" side to side and 9 1/2" deep. That Mildon pan looks to be a little smaller, and it takes 8 quarts of oil. The cobra oil pans for a 351w that I have found use anywhere from 7 to 9 quarts. Just want to be sure I don't under or over fill it.....oil capacity is not one of things I want to "guess"......

Last edited by azfordman; 10-16-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Make sure you know how much oil comes out, when you do find out how much it needs install new oil and mark the dip stick, make sure you add oil for the filter and cooler if you have one.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post
Make sure you know how much oil comes out, when you do find out how much it needs install new oil and mark the dip stick, make sure you add oil for the filter and cooler if you have one.
Oil has already been drained. I flushed out the system when the push rod broke to make sure there were no small pieces of metal in the system. (Did find a coupe of small pieces up on the head.) So now I am starting with a dry oil pan.... If I start on the high end, say 9 quarts, how will I know the oil level is too high? What symptoms should I look for? I will do some internet searching, but figured I should go ahead and ask here as well.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I found a thread here on the forum that says if the capacity is unknown, remove the oil pan, put it level on a bench, and fill it with water to determine the required number of quarts to fill it. The only thing that wasn't clear was to fill it with water to what point???

(Not my pan....but the pic is a fair reference) Fill level should be to 1, 2, 3 or somewhere else? Is it safe to assume the oil pick up should be at some point below the oil level? How far below? Thanks.

Last edited by azfordman; 10-17-2010 at 02:56 AM..
Old 10-17-2010, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

I think you should be fine with 9 quarts, if it is to much you will feel the engine crank pick up the oil, watch the oil pressure if it drops a little in hard turns the crank may be picking the oil up.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I had to find the oil level in my Canton oil pan so I could mark my dipstick. It is a 7 qt capacity pan. I filled the pan with 7 qt of water which filled both of the sumps. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

The oil level is just below the area where the crank will pass.

I had 4 and 3/4 qts of oil in the pan. I did a little bearing damage at high rpms. I think the problem was low on oil, oil pickup 5/8" off the bottom of the pan, dipstick not marked correctly and high volume oil pump.
I found out in time and did not hurt the motor. Had the block checked, put new lifters, rockers, rings and bearing in.

One qt of oil cost me $900.

Be sure to check the pickup to pan bottom distance. It should be 1/4" to 3/8" from bottom. You can use playdough or clay to check it.

see ya on the road

Dwight

Last edited by Dwight; 10-17-2010 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: add pic, spelling and comment
Old 10-17-2010, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Would the use of a windage tray reduce the effects of an over fill? I would think so. I have often heard of people using an extra quart especially if on a track. Does anyone know how far below the crank the ideal oil level should be? If so, (let's assume 2" below the crank)with the pan off, install the dip stick and measure down 2" from the crank and mark the spot on the dip stick. Then use the top of the pan as a reference and measure down to that same spot. Add water and see how many quarts it takes to reach that level. Add an extra quart for the filter. You will atleast have a reference point and know where you are on the stick and you can make adjustments as needed to atleast reach the same level each time you fill. I don't think there would be any problems as long as your below the crank. Just my .02 cents, there are smarter engine guys here than me, so take my advice for what it's worth.

John
Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I had to beat a few dents in my windage tray so the crank would clear. It's a tight fit between the crank and tray and the tray and oil pan. I've read in one of my dyno books they remove a qt of oil in the stock Mustang 5.0 motor and gain HP.
A windage tray is good investment in HP. When the crank aerates the oil, bad things can happen.

Dwight
Old 10-17-2010, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

427Charlie got it right! Put the car up on ramps to pull the pan and found what looked like a sticker that had been painted over. Some carb cleaner and a little elbow grease and there was the Milodon sticker! It looks like the pan is a pre-1973 application, but I think that this has to do with the chassis design of the Ford cars....seems like the later year Fords used a rear sump. Anyways....it looks like it is calling for 8 quarts. I appreciate all of the input. Thanks!