Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default what do you need to do to register an out of state cobra in calif

im thinking of buying an era replica that is registered in pennsylvania as a 1966 what would i need to do register it in calif. Thnks
Old 10-29-2010, 01:29 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd View Post
im thinking of buying an era replica that is registered in pennsylvania as a 1966 what would i need to do register it in calif. Thnks
If it's registered as a 1966 in PA, you will have to re-register and re-title it in California using the SPCN with a new state issued VIN. Year of the block should dictate your emissions though unless things have changed in the last three years........

Check to see if the VIN that the car is currently titled under is legit (state issued) or if it was something pulled from a wrecked vehicle. If it's a legit VIN (state issued or as originally listed on the MSO), then you are good to go. if it is a VIN lifted from another vehicle, and you want it in California, then you may have other issues to deal with from your state DMV office or state police inspection station.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also...make sure it has at least 7,500 miles on it...or CA won't let you do it...
Old 10-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

You HAVE to register it as SPCN. What will the year of the car be? More than likely the year it was built. The ONLY real/safe way to do this is SPCN and get in line at the beginning of the year for SB-100. If you sneeked by as a '66, you are only asking for trouble. Amnesty is almost over (2010). The DMV probably won't enforce 'illegally' registered cars immediately but it will be up their sleeve. And when they do, and people are shocked to hear about it, the DMV can say "this has been in the books, we just didn't enforce it".
My brother lives on a hill in Los Angeles. He also owns the adjacent property. He got hit with a huge penalty for not clearing the brush. He asked the city why the charge. They responded that this was the first year they've enforced it. Nice, huh? The tax/penalty was 'in the books' when they needed it.

Welcome to Kahleefonia.

rodneym
Old 10-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Welcome to Kahleefonia. rodneym
Poor Ah-nold. Always gets a poor rap. His approval rating is right around 25%. I'm sure it will all get better with Meg or Jerry.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1482 View Post
Also...make sure it has at least 7,500 miles on it...or CA won't let you do it...
For the record, there's at least one member here that received his legal SPCNS registration on his purchase of a used out-of-state ERA, with less than 7,500 miles, in 2009. I believe it came from MA.

Last edited by RodKnock; 10-29-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Old 10-29-2010, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

RodKnock...maybe I should of said "almost impossible"...here at Superformance we have had numerous people try, not once has been successful...they end up having to register it out of state...I am sure there is "some" loophole, but from our experience...it is a complete and utter headache/disaster...
Old 10-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Poor Ah-nold. Always gets a poor rap. His approval rating is right around 25%. I'm sure it will all get better with Meg or Jerry.
Rodknock,
Don't get me started on state politics. Kindergarten Cop was essentially elected bacause of Davis' regsitration tax. Look at what a fine fiscal conservative he turned out to be. A wolf in sheeps clothing.
It doen't matter who is governor of this state. We need money desperately and the feds won't give it without the EPA's blessing. States who aren't broke aren't as 'concerned' about the environment. And we think we're progressive
He earned his horrible rap. Meg is another wildcard who is just like Cyborg. An enviro nazi in hiding. And Brown? He IS the problem.
But the waether is nice.
rodneym
Old 10-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
RodKnock...maybe I should of said "almost impossible"...here at Superformance we have had numerous people try, not once has been successful...they end up having to register it out of state...I am sure there is "some" loophole, but from our experience...it is a complete and utter headache/disaster...
I just wanted the OP to know that at least one person tried and was successful. After having gone through the SB100 once, I have no doubt that the 7,500-mile rule is a tough road to hoe. Certainly being a reputable manufacturer and dealer, the scrutiny ratchets up considerably.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 482 ci alum block
Not Ranked     

Redd,

you have a pm
Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd View Post
Lots of interesting comments.

Two months ago I brought an RUCC replica into California from Texas. Prior to the purchase I contacted the CA DMV Technical Services Division and provided all the information about the car; it is a Cobra replica kit car, it was completed in 2004, the engine is a small block Ford built in 2003 using then currently available new parts and has no emissions equipment whatsoever, etc., has only 5900 miles, it is (was) currently titled , registered and insured in Texas as a 1966. After a 10 minute consultation with the resident kit car expert, I was told that it is considered a 1966 and titling and registration would not be an issue and no smog inspection would be necessary.

After getting the required Vehicle Verification at my local AAA office, I had my new plates in my hands in about 10 minutes and the title from the DMV arrived about 10 days later.

The car is currently insured with AAA with no restrictions whatsoever.

Last edited by bingo2; 10-29-2010 at 04:21 PM..
Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 482 ci alum block
Not Ranked     

dittto for me
Old 10-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Do a search on "Morgester" (Robert Morgester the Assistant Attorney General) here on Club Cobra and sit back with a tall drink while you read through all of the threads that he's contributed to.

Bottom line is that based on everything I've read, I wouldn't want to have replica Cobra registered in CA in unless it was registered as the actual year it was built and under SB100.

The DMV doesn't know what they're doing and will register as a Cobra as a 196X to anyone who walks in the door.

The funny thing is that the process is fairly pain free and SB100 certs are still available as of a couple of weeks ago. There's no reason not to do it.

Here's a thread with a great summary by Jamo and a link to the process steps.

A very tired subject: SB100

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 10-29-2010 at 05:00 PM..
Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David I do have a pm
Old 10-29-2010, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Can't help but have the vision of someone buying a new Kirkham/SPF/ERA/BD/etc and buying two speedometers. The installed one is the real one. The second one is the extra that you attach to an electric drill and run continuously for two weeks until you breach 7,500 miles. Then swap, get your SPCN cert, and then put back in the original. Simple. And all the while convincing the tech at the CHP and the smog cert location that it really has 7,500 miles on it with nary a scratch or rock chip.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David forget what i just sent i saw the pm thanks for the help
Old 10-29-2010, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Do a search on "Morgester" (Robert Morgester the Assistant Attorney General) here on Club Cobra and sit back with a tall drink while you read through all of the threads that he's contributed to.

Bottom line is that based on everything I've read, I wouldn't want to have replica Cobra registered in CA in unless it was registered as the actual year it was built and under SB100.

The DMV doesn't know what they're doing and will register as a Cobra as a 196X to anyone who walks in the door.

The funny thing is that the process is fairly pain free and SB100 certs are still available as of a couple of weeks ago. There's no reason not to do it.

Here's a thread with a great summary by Jamo and a link to the process steps.

A very tired subject: SB100
Just a bit more information regarding out of State titling and registration in California from Legal Files 3/2010 using a GT40 replica as an example:

Various states take different approaches to SPCNS. While California would title the GT40 as an SPCNS with a year-of-first-title build year, others would title it as a “1965 Ford GT40 Replica.” But a few states aren’t very concerned about nuance, and would title it as simply a “1965 Ford.” What if that is what you bring into California?

When pushed, Morgester acknowledged California law requires that “full faith and credit” be given to other states’ titles. If the GT40 replica has a valid title that identifies it as a “1965 Ford” and nothing else, California has to accept it as a 1965 Ford. It will receive such a title, and it will be required to meet only the 1965 (non-existent) emissions requirements. “But,” Morgester cautions, “the key word here is ‘valid.’ The owner would have to establish that a full disclosure of all pertinent facts was made to the other state before the title was issued. Otherwise, the title is not ‘validly issued,’ and California would not have to honor it.”

I wasn't asked to establish the validity of the out of State title nor was it ever addressed in my numerous conversations with the DMV Technical Services division. Furthermore, I wouldn't have a clue as to how to even begin that process.

On the surface, the SB100 amnesty period appears to be a "get out of jail free card", when in reality it is nothing more than a revenue generator for the State. It allows the individuals who misrepresented the value of the vehicle to pay the appropriate fees and walk away feeling a lot better and with a lighter wallet!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Just my humble opinion, but I wouldn't give any weight to statements or advice that the DMV provides. Most offices aren't well versed in SB100, a program that is almost 10 years old. Again, there is absolutely no reason not take any car through the SB100 process.

Play at your own risk, but understand that the DMV won't be standing there to support you when you need them.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Bingo2,

I hear ya but I think that 'full faith and credit' will go out the window if you know it's not a '66. So what's the agreed value on your '66? 50k or 1.5 million? And if it gets totalled? How much will the ins company pay?
CA will go after you, not TX (or whoever). Your reg fees are based on value (somewhat real value).
Rodneym
Old 10-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Just my humble opinion, but I wouldn't give any weight to statements or advice that the DMV provides. Most offices aren't well versed in SB100, a program that is almost 10 years old. Again, there is absolutely no reason not take any car through the SB100 process.

Play at your own risk, but understand that the DMV won't be standing there to support you when you need them.
JMHO, but if you read all his posts, you would have seen him mention that the CA legislature is/was trying to close that loophole. So as Doug says, tread carefully. In terms of vehicle titles, there are no grandfathering provisions. If they decide some where along the line to change the rules, then the "full faith and credit" provision that allowed you register your SPCNS in 2010, may not be any help to you in the future.

However, I'm no expert.