Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 351w
Not Ranked     
Default Camcorder and mount

What are you suggestions for a good camcorder under $500? Just want the most bang for my buck and, most importantly, able to mount it in the Cobra. I did a search in Club Cobra and found some information on the GoPro Hero. It seems to fit my needs, but I don't know how it compares to the other name brands. I know wind noise is a big issue and a SD card seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for you help.

John
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Whatever you do, do not get one with a hard drive. They shut down to protect the hard drive system when exposed to excessive vibration or noise.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Whatever you do, do not get one with a hard drive. They shut down to protect the hard drive system when exposed to excessive vibration or noise.

Thanks, that's what I heard too.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF / FE428
Not Ranked     
Default GoPro

I got a GoPro HD and think its great!! The pictures is like watching a blue-ray.
Little lite on the sound.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

John......GoPro was " considering " adding a port for an external microphone connection, but would not release a date or even commit, might want to check with their Tech Support. In past Threads, there have been references to the wind noise using the internal microphone, even with the setting to lessen the noise.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

John:
I use an IO Port roll bar mount with an old Canon Elura video camera. The Elura has a provision for an external mike (which I highly recommend) and I use a simple lapel mike clipped to the lower part of the passengers seat belt where it's out of the way. As mentioned the onboard mike picks up a tremendous amount of wind noise that's very annoying.
The IO Port mount is extremely flexible as far as positioning the camera goes and, with a light camera, very rigid.
Here is a sample of one of the tapes from this past summer with the Colorado club.

DonC

Last edited by DonC; 11-08-2010 at 10:17 PM..
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     

check this link, its a lot to read but very helpful... Mac
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...ad.php?t=26173
Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

I've been round and round with digital cam corders, mini DV recorder, remote mics, and so on. In my opinion, the simplest, highest quality for the money, durable and simple unit is the GoPro HD.
Here's a clip from a couple of laps from the Reptile Roundup a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NptVfCu3fDs
Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
I've been round and round with digital camcorders, mini DV recorder, remote mics, and so on. In my opinion, the simplest, highest quality for the money, durable and simple unit is the GoPro HD.
Here's a clip from a couple of laps from the Reptile Roundup a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NptVfCu3fDs
Thanks for the information. I'll check out the GoPro camcorder. It does seem to be the most popular one to use in the Cobra.

I was at this year's Reptile Roundup and had a great time watching everyone race. I thought your car performed pretty awesome.

John
Old 11-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

The current GoPro advertisements mention " Updated Professional Sound ":

From the GoPro web site:

" Audio Excellence "

" We’ve invested more in the HD HERO camera's sound system than most companies spend on their entire camera development. You’ll only be hearing the sounds of your sport, not the howl of the wind. How? Obsessive audio engineering and an understanding that good sound is as important as good video. "

http://www.goprocamera.com/products/...ero-camera.php
Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

GoPro's sound quality has improved significantly over the years. That PBIR video is with their latest version.
A few things to bear in mind with that video, there is no windshield on that car, the camera is directly in the wind stream, at 140 plus, the sound quality is really pretty good, also the tranny has straight cut gears, which is the serious wine that you hear. Lastly, exhausts are full street side pipes with a 45 deg turn down, the exhaust note is very tame compared to most of our cars, one of the quietest on the track.
Just a couple of things to consider. Maybe what I should do, is run a demo clip in a street car as well for comparison.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
John:
I use an IO Port roll bar mount with an old Canon Elura video camera. The Elura has a provision for an external mike (which I highly recommend) and I use a simple lapel mike clipped to the lower part of the passengers seat belt where it's out of the way. As mentioned the onboard mike picks up a tremendous amount of wind noise that's very annoying.
The IO Port mount is extremely flexible as far as positioning the camera goes and, with a light camera, very rigid.
Here is a sample of one of the tapes from this past summer with the Colorado club.

DonC
Terrific video. Really gives you the feeling of being there. Love the stereo sound too. That's really just from one lapel mic? Almost sounds like two mics and one is *slightly* out of phase with the other.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A friend just bought a Tachyon XC and loves it.He used his on a motorcycle run mounted to his helmet.They sell for approx $110.00
Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Frito:
The original sound is monaural from the lapel mike. I just copy the sound track and paste it in the other half of the audio track.
DonC
Old 11-20-2010, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
Frito:
The original sound is monaural from the lapel mike. I just copy the sound track and paste it in the other half of the audio track.
DonC
Cheater!

It's actually a cool way to do it. Though artificial it really adds to the spatial effect. Did you copy it out of phase on purpose?