Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Turn Signal Wire Connections

What is the proper way to make the connections to the turn signals. Is the wire soldered to the small tube and then pressed in to the round tube fitting, or is the bare wire just compressed between the two. It looks like I am missing all the small tube fittings for both front turn signals. The boxes were opened and the lights were not in plastic bags like the rear lights were.

Also, for the rear light is that ground connection just bent up to get it through the hole in the body. My manul instructions just say something like wire the lights.

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Don't know if it's the proper way or not, but I soldered my ground into the brass tube and just pressed it in the loop. If you have no brass tubes, I'd crimp the brass loop around my ground wire and solder it in.
Sorry, I don't understand your question about the tail lights.
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 11-09-2010, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Notice is the right picture in the tail light ground it has that brass tube that is in the loop. So you are saying soldier the wire into that tube and then just press it in the loop.
Since I was missing all six tubes for the front turn signals I guess I will have to do something different for them unless those tubes can be bought some place.

Wayne

Last edited by Wbulk; 11-09-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I believe you remove the sleeve pin, insert the wire, and reinstall the sleeve pin., thus pinching the wire making a connection...No solder required. A little di-electric grease is a good idea. A British production line design as I remember. The old Lucas driving lights have a similar design.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 11-09-2010, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So it does just compress between the pin and the sleeve. Any idea were to get pins that are missing?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Solder and you won't have a problem down the road!
Wiring problems on the road are no fun.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merry ol' England perhaps..........
But I would look into substituting something...
I have seen wire connectors that look like little bullets, (Both Male and female versions) usually incased in a blue plastic insulated covers (Look at Ace Hardware with the other electrical crimp connectors) that might work with the blue insulator part cut away....Uninsulated Butt Connectors might also work (Ace Hardware)
These will at best 'LOOK" correct if that is what you are going for...Or you could just solder the connections...3
Update:
Amazon: Crimp Sleeve Connectors

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.

Last edited by Blas; 11-09-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Old 11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ya, I thought about those crimp connectors. Thanks.

Larry, did you soldier yours? I was worried about the heat taking the tension out of the bulb spring.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/6

Old 11-09-2010, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blas, thanks a lot. To bad the kit manfacturer wouldn't respond to my questions on the issues or why the parts were robbed out of the boxes. Not the first time on this build.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I believe Wbulk's second question was how do you get the ground tab through the hole in the body. I have the same question. Do you bend the tab doen toward the light fixture so that it was go through the 1 1/4" hole in the body?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, All aluminum small block ford.
Not Ranked     

Just bend the tab down and insert through the hole. Then if you want to straighten the tab back out. Not sure it needs to be straightened back out but I did on mine just incase the screws came out or something stupid the light wont fall out of the hole and be hanging by the wire.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have done more research on the issue since I first brought this up and found that the part is called Lucas Bullet Connector. On some UK forum sites I read the debates on how to connect the wires. It appears there are different types of bullets, copper and brass. With a special crimping tools the copper ones can be crimped with the wire in the end. This is not your normal crimping tool. With the brass bullets the wire is soldiered in the end. I guess you could soldier the copper one to if you needed to. Dialectric grease was highly recommended.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Your ground doesn't need to go directly to the tab! All that is required is to ground the base somehow. Secure the light using a machine screw, going through the light base and the fiberglass, then attach the ground wire to the screw.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Wayne
I soldered mine and put a connector on it wiriring about 4" back so I could remove the light if needed. I have used many of the barrel connectors and they would work well if you used the electrical grease to make sure they don't corrode.