Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 291, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Public Parking

I have signed up for a 2 day driving class at PIR this summer. This will mean two or three nights leaving my car in some Motel public parking lot.
What do I need to do to protect my car while it's in the parking lot un attended?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Just a couple of suggestions. Try to get a room where you can see the car and also talk to the management about maybe letting you park it in a more secure area. Some of the motels around here will do that for a small fee, but it is worth it if you have a nice car and don't want it out in the open for anyone to mess with. At least they used to do it. I am not sure now as many of them have changed over the last few years. I don't know about PIR, but do they have a garage you could park it in and then get a ride back to the motel?

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-31-2010, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Know the concern.Except for a hungry guard dog or you sitting there with a loaded handgun,only choice you have is to talk with motel management and get a feel for what to be concerned about.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the suggestions, good ideas and something worth considering when booking a motel.
I do have a full car cover for it, I guess that would help some what.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I've done this many times. Never a problem. A car cover to hide what it is, and a cable through a wheel and around a suspension or frame part to keep someone from popping it out of gear and pushing it away.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default If You Want To Go "All Out"...

Dave's right. I think just throwing the cover over it is probably 98% effective, but if you want to go "all-out" you can take the five-step approach. All but the QR and ignition kill switch are something you can throw together this afternoon. BTW, the green knob on the battery disconnect switch either loosens, or comes completely out, to break the circuit.

1) Put a cover over it;
2) Have a quick-release on your steering hub and remove your wheel;
3) Have a hidden "kill switch" for the ignition;
4) Have a quick disconnect on the battery;
5) Cable lock your wheels to a pole.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-25-2016 at 08:03 AM..
Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Stay at a nice place with valet parking. Tip the guy $40 to $60 and they will show you where to park it and then watch it like a mama grizzly watching her cubs.

I also cover it, but the truth is, if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Stay at a nice place with valet parking. Tip the guy $40 to $60 and they will show you where to park it and then watch it like a mama grizzly watching her cubs.
Rip a C-Note in half and give the guy half of it when you park. Tell him if the car is exactly the same in the morning you'll give him the other half.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Rip a C-Note in half and give the guy half of it when you park. Tell him if the car is exactly the same in the morning you'll give him the other half.
Now I like that.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

The way I figure it, if a criminal is intent on doing something, they are going to find a way to do it, but you can do things to make it more difficult. Obviously the most important thing with a car like these is full coverage insurance, but as far a prevention, I have "several" battery/ignition kill switches, as well as a cable with a built in lock that I initially ran through the wheel to the frame (crawling on the ground got old real quick), but am now looping through the door hinges and the steering wheel. I like the new set up (sorry, no picture) because it is a visual deterrent, the drivers door will not open, and I always turn the wheel all the way so the car will turn if towed. I force myself to do all of this whether I am parked at home or at the store, just to make it force of habit. Beyond that, I do worry, but I do know I am covered if something should happen.

Of course the first day I picked the car up and was in a hotel I had to improvise.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After having cut my hardened steel clutch fork this summer So, Should I Replace This Part or Not? I can assure you that if the crook has a Dremel with one of their reinforced wheels with him it will cut through our case-hardened cables and locks almost as fast as we can unlock them with a key. Still, most crooks don't know that and I think what we're mostly guarding against is a "crime of opportunity" or the kid who just can't resist taking it for a quick ride.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

don't worry about the kid and the joy ride---you will find him dead within a couple miles--

the thing you need to do is put a locater device in it so it can be located before it makes the container at the sea port---a device that signals you it has been moved a FEW feet is best and real time satilite tracking--
Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 408w 500 h.p. 550 ft.lbs
Not Ranked     

azfordman

I noticed you tested the strength of that post before you chained up to it.

Craig
Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

The best thing I seen was an owner of early MG , restored , had a P.O.D. delv. to the hotel and parked his car over night in it .
Old 12-31-2010, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post

the thing you need to do is put a locater device in it so it can be located before it makes the container at the sea port---a device that signals you it has been moved a FEW feet is best and real time satilite tracking--
Where can I get this?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Birdman View Post
Where can I get this?
I know my kids' cell phones have the GPS function enabled and, in an emergency, we could track them down that way... and to within 50 feet or so, not just to the closest cell tower. If it was me, I'd just take one of their phones, turn it on, turn the ringer off, and stick it in the trunk. If it got stolen the cops could trace it that way. I'm sure the other gizmo has some sort of monthly charge to gouge you.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I know my kids' cell phones have the GPS function enabled and, in an emergency, we could track them down that way... and to within 50 feet or so, not just to the closest cell tower. If it was me, I'd just take one of their phones, turn it on, turn the ringer off, and stick it in the trunk. If it got stolen the cops could trace it that way. I'm sure the other gizmo has some sort of monthly charge to gouge you.
My thought exactly! I know with my cell phone service I can get an additional line with the parent/kid GPS location feature. Figured I could put it on a permanent charger hidden in the trunk for a lot less than the other vehicle theft tracking services.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Are you talking Phoenix International Raceway or Portland International Raceway?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Put LOJACK in it. I have LOJACK in my wifes Merc and my Harley. Two days ago, I forgot to put the LOJACK fob in my pocket when I rolled my Harley five feet in my garage. Within 1 minute, LOJACK was calling me on the phone letting me know my bike was being moved. I also recieved an email at the same time. Great peace of mind and not expensive to install.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slither View Post
Are you talking Phoenix International Raceway or Portland International Raceway?
Portland International raceway.