9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era w/428 cj w/427 lowriser heads cammed carburated msd upgraded
Not Ranked     
Question fog/driving lights

Hello everyone,
I did a blog earlier this evening and thought I better cover this part of the site too. I own ERA #238 and am going to install my twin paxton set-up on my 427 this winter. I have a problem with driving too fast, and with this extra power was wanting to install fog or driving lights to help me see dangers up ahead quick enough to re-act safely. I always upgrade my car in vintage style so that it looks like the car could have came this way in 1966. I would like to find out when fog/driving lights were added to these cars by racers or enthusiests were they commonly square or round? If possible what was a common size used? Also which brand was more likely used, Lucas, Bosch, Hella, Cibie, Marchal, Lumax, or Per-lux.
If anyone can help me or direct me to some vintage cobra pic's with this addition I would very much appreciate it. The only lights I have knowledge of is Cibie lights mounted on the cobra on Gumball Rally, but that film was made in the 70's.
Thank you, Tiger
Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

How about these:

Paul
Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     

If you want something discrete.... consider this option in the picture below. These could be fog or driving or one of each. Also, another idea is to upgrade your headlights from sealed beam to a 9" look-alike sealed beam with either a high-end PIAA H4 bulb or one that uses HID technology.
Mark
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BackDraft, Keith Craft 408; 1967 GT500CR
Not Ranked     

I did a headlight upgrade and my night vision was greatly enhanced. Blue over yellow anytime!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Lucas 576 SFTs were highly popular with sports car guys in the 50s and 60s. They look like this on a Cobra:

They come in a driving and fog patterns. Repros are widely available at places like Moss Motors or you could search around on eBay. Originals come up pretty regularly, but ones in good condition (check the reflector surfaces) aren't cheap.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3.1 / 347 Stroker 425 HP
Not Ranked     

Tiger,

Check these out:
http://www.tangentkits.com/Driving_Lights_and_Grill.php

Bruce
Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Here is what I fitted recently for a long drive.

They are Narva lights (Bosch make a similar light) they are plastic backed and very shallow.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

These are nice........

fogs because driving lights are illegal in Ca.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era w/428 cj w/427 lowriser heads cammed carburated msd upgraded
Not Ranked     

Hello, everyone whom responded to my question to help me out. I thanked everyone individually but am such a slow typer that time ran out so the response never got posted. I have a collection of muscle cars and have been to other blogs and have never felt the warmth or commeradery that the quality people give to one another to help their fellow enthusiests. Thank you all. To stay vintage style correct I went with Mr. HealeyRick's picture of the Lucas lights. Found the foglight version lens, because in California the CHP can harrass you over driving lights. Then ordered the RollsRoyce reflecter upgrade to install PIAA extreme white bulbs. Modern lighting and vintage correct styling. All the information I needed to decide and then find my way came from all of you. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Tags
1966 cobra, auxilly lighting, cobra lights, fog/driving lights