23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Elegant Motors
Not Ranked     
Default Car just completed...What things should go wrong in the first few trips?

Like any project, I expect that there should be some problems that will need to be addressed on my first few trips. It took me 8 years to get this thing finished and now I have a total and complete fear to drive it.
Looking for some experience of what typical things go wrong in the first 500 miles..
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Make sure the wheels are tight , the grease in the wheel bearings is fresh and the brakes aren't rusted/glazed over. Make sure your steering gear is tight and adjusted. Everything else you can deal with as it happens.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

If you smell gas........pull over
Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR MKIII 408w
Not Ranked     

Ok...this is familiar... my beast has been on the road since Sept. 2010. You need to trust your building skills..yes things will get lose...come off.ect. Drive...drive...drive ...your car. The more miles you put the more confidant you get in you car. Get AAA in case she strands you...and fix it and get back on the road. or you only feel confidant to driving around the cual-dua-sca & the hood. Most of all ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

You will be unable to stop smiling. :-)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

1. Fuel line connections & float levels to avoid leaking fuel.
2. Oil full & at correct level, Coolant full and ALL connections checked.
3. Brake line connections (you want to be able to stop!)
4. Electrical connections (you don't want to be stopped at the shoulder of the road).
5. Wheel alignment.
6. Headlights AND most importantly Brakelights & Turn Signals.

Run engine in driveway or garage for about 1/2 hour before going out on the road. Check for leaks both fuel & oil before leaving. Take cell phone and have tow truck phone number.

7. Most importantly, smile and bask in the fact that you created it yourself, that is overwhelmingly satisfying.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Took the car out and the first turn the rear end made a clunk like you wouldn't believe. Legs went numb and ran it back to the shop...they forgot to put the shims in the trailing arms, then took it out again and it started to smell and smoke like the car was on fire, ran it back to the shop and the clutch went out..I guess that is what I get for taking 8 years! Fuel...not leaking...Alignment...tomorrow..oil level...check...coolant full...check. Brakes...check, lights..check. I have towing, thanks to Robin at Classic and I put a bluetooth stereo in so cell phone CHECK.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

take short trips at first and don't forget the cell phone.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice to know...this is normal...but the smile has not left my face..except when I though the car was going to catch on fire...then I looked more like a chicken with my head cut off running around the car :>)
Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Have fire extinguisher available
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Sounds like fun!

Make sure the differential has fluid also.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Premier Motorsports
Not Ranked     

Make short trips, take a cell phone. Bring back occasionally and tighten things up. Keep looking for things to work loose - they do.

Good luck.

Paul
Old 01-11-2011, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Much good advice above. The way I see it, there are three mechanical problem areas where you don't want to drive the car even a short distance. They are problems with steering (i.e., suspension, wheels, steering, loose seat), brakes (even and reliable), and fire (electrical shorts or fuel leaks). Engine problems that could leave you stranded in an intersection or on a dangerous road could also be dangerous, but might be tolerable just to get home under the right conditions. Most other problems cause inconvenience at worst. Be sure you've got the big three under control and you should be OK.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 01-12-2011, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Make a Check List

Pre run inspection.
Pre trip inspection while engine was running.
Safety list checked off.
Short drive test. (recheck things).
Long driving test.
Give her hell test.
Fun drive for long 2 hours.
Recheck everything.
Done.

This will help you stay calm and not forget anything.
Good luck, Bill
Old 01-12-2011, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Take her out for a spin warm it up good, don't venture too far from home.If anything rears it's ugly head you want it to happen close by.My only issues were had the coolant level too high,and had the balance bar for dual master a tad out of adjustment.You may not have any.When you do your first service grab a handful of wrenches and go all over the car.You will feel better about taking it out knowing all is right.Have fun
Old 01-12-2011, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Sod's Law: " The thing that you did not prepare for will be the thing that stops you."
Old 01-12-2011, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Find some other local Cobra owners to cruise with as you start taking longer trips. You will find a lot of "been there, done that" they will be able to help with. If you aren't already a member, join the Deep South Cobra Club. Lastly be aware that even after many miles you car can still leave you stranded. After you get things sorted out most of your trouble will become inconvenience rather than safety issues. Also you will find that there is no cure for the big grin you will always have on your face

Dick
Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

You can always expect a few issues to rear their heads in the first few shakedown miles and it sounds like you had quite an adventure! Like others have advised, pay most attention to the critical issues; in other words the ones that could cause a catastrophic event if they fail. Brakes, steering, suspension (double-check your lug nuts!!), fuel lines, wiring and cooling system.

Turn on everything electrical while the car is idling in the driveway, let it run and see if any switches get hot, fuses blow or wiring starts to smoke. Watch your temp gauge and make sure your cooling system is up to snuff. Is your charging system working? etc etc. Take care of the critical stuff and from there on out have fun tweaking the minor things as you discover them.

One other thing I noticed looking at the pics in your gallery (see below) - your front end appears to be sitting way high. At highway speeds and above, you will gather a lot of air under the front, and depending on how fast you go, it could become an issue. If nothing else, it will look a lot better if you can lower it a bit. Enjoy!!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 01-12-2011 at 07:15 AM..
Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

After a few hundred miles of my sorting my FFR MK III car out, I paid a professional to put it on a lift and go from the front to the back tightening and checking every nut and bolt on the car. Took him the full day to do the job and cost me about $900, but I wanted another pair of hands and eyes on my car.

And, by the way, he didn't find a thing that needed more than mild tightening. I then drove much more confidently!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I agree with checking and double-checking every fastener on the car. Check the fluids every time you start it up, too, for a while. The thing that I encountered in my first drive, though, was more related to driver error. When you pull into a parking spot, remember the nose (chin?) of the car won't go over that curb or tire bumper. I had to learn the hard way, not to pull so deeply into the parking spot. I still have the scratches to remind me.