28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Exhaust collector leak

On the sidepipes, just after the 90 degree bend, I have an exhaust leak where the 4 exhaust pipes come into the one collector pipe. Seems the welder maybe missed a small area. I was thinking of injecting with a 6" syringe some JB Weld or similar to close off the leak. Accessing it to migweld would be impossible. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     

Welding is the proper way to fix.... You could try the JBWeld.... but my guess is if you can't weld it, you can't clean it and therefore, the epoxy won't stick.

good luck.... Mark

Last edited by mkassab; 01-27-2011 at 01:23 PM..
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Go up the inside of the collector with a mild steel rod like 6013 and weld it. if you run it AC , it won't have as much penetration for the thin tubing.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters '66 427 Replica-SOLD
Not Ranked     

Get some muffler patch with Sodium Silicate in it and it will do the job.....JB weld is only good to about 600*F!!

Some Hi-Temp RTV silicone may also work...I have used it in place of the header gasket but I think the Silicate will do what you wish!!!!

Last edited by coosawjack; 01-27-2011 at 02:30 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

werntonb,
I think Cobraman's leak is coming where the four tubes come together at the flange. It IS impossible to get into this area "from the outside". Even a #2 Mig gun is way to large, but...

Pull the sidepipes-headers apart and weld to the Inside as "redmnt" suggested. #1 with an external Bright light aimed at the "suspect point" you should be able to actually see hole/gap in the original weld points from the inside. #2 Now it is A fairly simple job to clean the inside joint(s) and re-weld without burning through or ruining the outside finish.

Cobraman, by the time you waste your time trying to clean up the guilty area, try and shove the ol' JB into it, "it" fails and you do the above all over again, pull it apart and weld from the inside. Job done and permanently this time.

Yours isn't the first with this problem!

DV

Last edited by Double Venom; 02-06-2011 at 03:21 AM..

Tags
exhaust, sidepipes