Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/108904-drag-race-kirkham-65-side-oiler-vs-ferrari-458-italia.html)

Dimis 01-30-2011 07:32 PM

I'll give him a chance. :p
Its a 2 horse race... and he only has to snare 1 win out of the 3. ;)

It's a matter of experience and keeping the thing straight.
...and in something like this, more important than the cubes will be the rubber!

With their suggested lack of experience, this has the recipe for 'disaster' written all over it.

With that said, I'd definitely like to see how this pans out.
Just from a safe distance, mind you.

I hope both cars and boys come out unscathed & I'm glad they're wise enough to take it off the street!

Best wishes to all.

Ron Scarboro 01-30-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excaliber (Post 1106384)

Ron Scarboro says his GTR run's...
Pffftt, my ERA does a 100 mph in 7.98 seconds, on street tires, with a slow hole shot, uphill, on wet pavement. Lets race! :) :) Actually, that's true, I really have done a 100 mph in 7.98. What is also true is I'm not sure I WANT to race against a GTR, they are very impressive.

I certainly wasn't going to throw my car in against the proposed machinery. :)

The Ferrari makes 80 more hp and weighs 700 fewer lbs than the GTR.

I was just saying the Ferrari is idiot proof (driver barely required). If that Cobra makes 750 hp then there is a race on an actual drag strip if he can hook it up. The race is entirely about the Cobra driver.

That is what we love about these cars IMHO, driver absolutely required. :D

STL Mark 01-30-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithc8 (Post 1106397)
It does not sound like you guys give this guy in the Kirkham much chance which I do not understand.
Good luck to him and time will tell.

Keith

I give the Cobra driver a chance. If he cuts a good light, doesn't make any mistakes - he has a decent chance. Plus Tim could make a mistake as well.
You gotta run the race. Talk is cheap. He could do it. Mid 11s pass is within range of his Cobra.

Cobra #3170 01-30-2011 11:06 PM

Cobra vs Ferrari

This is really all about the driver, and by the sound of it he probably should not be driving a Cobra. My Cobra ran 11.2 @128 mph at Detroit Drag Strip 20 years ago on old road race tires. The engine was the original iron side oiler and displacement was about 430 CID. The engine dynoed at 560 hp and was slightly warmed over with a roller cam and 1150 cfm Dominator but nothing super special. I made about 10 runs all within a couple of .10's, if I had drag slicks it would have gone into the 10's easily because I had to launch very easily and then roll the throttle on. (60 foot was 1.9) The bottom line, if the guy can drive he has a good chance of winning but it sure sounds like he can't drive.

750hp 01-31-2011 01:51 AM

I don't think there's ANYTHING to say he can't drive fast in a straight line.

You don't need to know the specs of an engine to be able to drive.
You can embellish a car's age and still be able to drive.
Yu don't need much mechanical sympathy to be able to punch a few gears in a straight line.

#3170 showed that a genuine mid-500hp engine will be capable of high 10s / low 11s.

Lots of Kirkhams getting around with more power than that...

I think the Cobra will have the legs in the deep end, so he just needs to feed on enough gas to stay along side. Full noise and the whole shooting match in the second half of the track and there'll be some crying and soul-searching on the Ferrari forum... :)

Don 01-31-2011 07:37 AM

The Ferrari 458 will be run with all the electronic controls off or on ?

Excaliber 01-31-2011 07:59 AM

"On",,, of course! That's a no brainer. Run what ya brung. The Cobra should go "NOS" I think. The race will be the last 1/8th mile.

I recall that MOST of the time my drag race opponent would get the hole shot on me, I was forced to launch slow to keep the wheel spin down. But then I would often crush them like a bug toward the end. A Big Block really starts to shine after a 100 mph, which is when the small block's start to run out of steam.

xlr8or 01-31-2011 08:14 AM

No reason an FE powered Kirkham can't run in the low 11's on a prepared drag strip.

I ran mine on a totally unprepared 1/8 mile track having to soft launch it and was consistantly in the 7.40's and crossing the line at 95-100 MPH in 3rd gear.

CobraDan 01-31-2011 08:33 AM

I think it would be nice to stop off in Ohio ( just for practice) as it is on the way towards Vegas and run against Jack since he now runs in the 9 second bracket and that’s without his nitrous injection. Of course Jacks main advantage is his car is Chevy powered. :LOL:

Excaliber 01-31-2011 08:47 AM

xlr8or, yup, even a mild 427 should be able to run in the low 11's. So why don't we see more ET's like that? Traction of course.

Thats why I think this race will be won or lost in the last 1/8th mile. I'm thinking a .2
0-60ft time because of the soft launch. The Ferrari will get the hole shot for sure! That will give the Ferrari "hope", just before he get's his doors blown off when the Cobra strikes third gear. :)

Is this a great bench racing thread or what? :LOL:

slider701 01-31-2011 08:52 AM

Sure hope this isn't the OP's car:

RodKnock 01-31-2011 09:56 AM

Honestly, what's the point of posting a youtube video of a RED Ferrari that crashed in Florida, when the OP has a BLACK Ferrari in Washignton DC? :confused: Totally unnecessary :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by slider701 (Post 1106471)
Sure hope this isn't the OP's car:

CobraDan 01-31-2011 09:57 AM

TerrysSPF 01-31-2011 10:12 AM

Interesting thread!

Tommy has said that his friends Kirkham has a Shelby engine. The folks that pay for a Shelby block tend to put some money into their engines so who knows what kind of power he has. Could easily be in the 600hp range (or more if it was built by KC). His friend has slicks on his car which (if heated up properly) could knock a good 1/2 second or more off his time. I could see the Kirkham easlily getting into the 10's with a decent driver.............which IMHO, is what this race will come down to.
If Tommy uses his Ferrari's electronics / traction control (and why wouldn't he unless his friend makes turning them off part of the bet) then it's going to be hard to make a mistake in that car. Basically, floor it and keep it in a straight line.
If I were Tommy's friend, I would tell him that I would take my slicks off if he would take his traction control off. Toss some GoodYear Billboards or some AVONS on the Kirkham and see who wins with no electronics.

slider701 01-31-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1106481)
Honestly, what's the point of posting a youtube video of a RED Ferrari that crashed in Florida, when the OP has a BLACK Ferrari in Washignton DC? :confused: Totally unnecessary :mad:

To add a little levity to an already useless thread that has been consuming people's time.

Have another Marlboro, drink another cup of coffee, and take some Midol. Sorry my post got your panties so ruffled.

CobraEd 01-31-2011 10:35 AM

Car and Driver estimates mid 11s for the Ferrari. Easily in range of a decent Cobra:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...lia-quick_spin

0 - 60 appears to have been tested by a number of magazines at 3.2 -3.4. Also well within the range of a Cobra. It could be very close.

392cobra 01-31-2011 10:38 AM

What a lucky guy !

I couldn't spot any of that red paint on that fine Pick'em up truck.

Don 01-31-2011 10:38 AM

For comparison purposes........only

Stock 2009 C6 ZR 1 w/ Stock Tires: 10.74 @ 133.21, Drag Radials: 10.66 on @ 132.52

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-10-66-a.html

RodKnock 01-31-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slider701 (Post 1106494)
To add a little levity to an already useless thread that has been consuming people's time.

Have another Marlboro, drink another cup of coffee, and take some Midol. Sorry my post got your panties so ruffled.

Levity is a good bowel movement joke. A crashed Ferrari.....not so much.

This "useless" thread has many pages of posts in just a short amount of time, so I think you're in the minority.

Would you rather discuss the real versus replica, big block versus small block or how about my "hoped for" next set of magnesium wheels will unlikely ever be made?

There's always a good "What tool did I get for Christmas?" thread by Patrick. :LOL:

Jamo 01-31-2011 12:24 PM

I decided it was going to be a fun thread, and damn it will be!

Slider...too bad the thread doesn't interest you. Get off and stay off this thread.

Rod...learn to relax a bit.

Now...everyone...go back to having fun!

:cool: