3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
View Poll Results: Who will win the race - March 8, LV Speedway
The 458 Italia is unbeatable, wins all 3 22 17.32%
The 458 Italia is beatable, and loses 1 37 29.13%
The 458 Italia is beatable, and loses 2 or 3 14 11.02%
The 458 Italia is beatable, but the Cobra's driver isn't good enough, so it loses all 3 31 24.41%
The Italia's driver messes up, so it loses at least 1 23 18.11%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ferrari 458 Italia (not quite a Cobra)
Not Ranked     
Default Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have a 2011 stock Ferrari 458 Italia. A buddy has a beloved Kirkham side-oiler Cobra, on slicks.

We have a bet on a quarter-mile drag race. I have to win 3 in a row. The stakes are very high.

Accepted time for the stock 458 is 11.5. I have the benefit of launch control and a dual-clutch paddle transmission.

He is an inexperienced driver of the Cobra at speed.

I'd love the community's views on how this is going to turn out.

Thanks very much.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You will win.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Granted, you have a car that my dead grandmother could drive fast. It that very reason I chose a car that one pilots.
3 in a row? I say no. His (Cobra's) tranny is hard to shift fast but your launch control is about as reliable as a Cobra is subtle.
Please post the results!

I'd like to add that this isn't just about 'accepted time' of a Ferrari 458 vs a Cobra. You mentioned he has experience and drag slicks. You didn't mention specs but a typical Kirkham with a SO could very easily be a 600 hp build.
Still an exciting race. And if you win, then you could say that 4 1/2 decades of Italian engineering means something. And you have the skills of a cinder block on the gas pedal. (Sorry, you're on Cobra forum).

Last edited by rodneym; 01-29-2011 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: added
Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

I have a kirkham with a 451 Roush motor and also had a Ferrari Modena. The Ferrari will win, but I'd rather be in the kirkham for the adrenalin rush.. Be safe.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If he's inexperienced, why does he have slicks?
With just a little experience, and not knowing the rear gear he might take ya at least once.
Who knows - you might make a mistake too.
That's why you gotta run the race.
I say he's got a shot.
I'd take that bet.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Agreed. Bravo to the Cobra owner for a bet well made.

Could be a fun thread...moving it to the front page.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

If you were driving an earlier Ferrari, I'd put money on your clutch failing by the third launch if you're going back to back without cool-down time.

Not knowing the particular car's engine or transmission specs, I'd guess that if your mate nails the second-to-third shift he'll be in front for at least one race.

Will someone be filming it? Should sound spectacular!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Got my blood moving this AM! And.........?
DV
Old 01-30-2011, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Spam ?

Last edited by henrik; 02-10-2011 at 12:47 AM..
Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters '66 427 Replica-SOLD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik View Post
This post sounds like spam - a boy dreaming

If you really have the car - why dont' you just race... either side by side or... - if you can afford a 2011 ferrari you can afford a race

No way people in here would know the result on forehand - too many variables!

Moderator: May I suggest that a time delay is implemented - that a new person should sign up 24 hours prior to first post.

It is a shame to see how many spammers that infiltrate the forum - I'm sure it makes serious people stay away when help is needed...

My first thought as well.....SPAMMERS!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance gt40
Not Ranked     

First thing to consider is he is likely to lose control of his car, Cobras are torque monsters and are one of the hardest cars to drive for an inexperienced driver. Second, he car has a very short and narrow wheel base making it more likely to get out of control. Third he has to know how to drop the clutch correctly, and shift gears, one mistake will lose him a race. Your launch control basically makes your car idiot proof(not calling you an idiot, but my wife could win this race). Cobra's even when driven by professional drivers are not known for amazing quarter mile times, not to mention they don't handle very well at speeds over 100 miles per hour and have far more drag than your car. However this being said if his car has a supercharger, turbo, fuel injection, or nitrous you might be in for a rude awakening?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
This post sounds like spam - a boy dreaming
I see spam as an automatically generated account that posts bulk messages like those emails offering to increase your 6 inch to a footlong, and I'm not talking about Subway...

Even if OP doesn't own the Ferrari, he's not the first person to post on Club Cobra and to start an interesting conversation that gets people thinking. Seems like others are also keen to see if one of the best Cobra brands can beat one of Ferrari's best models...
Old 01-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

A google search showed a 2009 458 Italia (3042 pounds, 562 hp @ 9000 rpm, 400 FTlbs torque @ 6000 rpm; 7 speed trans) posting 1/4 mile times of 10.8. The 60's technology driveline will be the issue here. If the Ferrari driver is experienced at all with that tranny etc. (mid engine - weight in the perfect spot), it should handily beat the cobra. Two totally different sounds - would love to have a sound track of THAT race.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Depends on the specs of the Kirkham. Is the engine a relatively "mild" standard bore/stroke 427 FE? Or is it a big bore/stroked aluminum FE putting out over 600 hp?

If it's the latter, I will take the odds of the Kirkham consistently dipping below 11.5 seconds in the quarter mile (assuming he doesn't break something with the slicks).
Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
It is a shame to see how many spammers that infiltrate the forum - I'm sure it makes serious people stay away when help is needed...
Really? I thought we have been doing a pretty damn good job of policing spam posts.
Between automation, virtually 24-hour moderation and quickly-reported spam posts, I think we keep the place pretty sanitized.

tommygold may be a troll, but it ain't spam.

We'll give him 48 hours to move the discussion forward, and then make a judgment.

ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 01-30-2011, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Even if the Ferrari beat the Cobra.....who cares....I'd rather have the Cobra. :-)

Too many variables to answer that question. If the tires are sticky and you got a good clutch foot, I'd say the Ferrari would have a hard time on its hands.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Dan - you need a sound track of the Ferrari's motor when shifting at 9,000 rpm!! Must sound AMAZING.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I agree with others that given an inexperienced pilot, the Cobra will be far more difficult to race, but in the mean time, let's settle this with some bench racing.
Has anyone on here pushed their 427 powered Kirkham to 11.5 or better in the 1/4 mile? Different driver, car, tires, motor, etc yes; but I would think in theory at least, the Cobra stacks up well.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-30-2011, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ferrari 458 Italia (not quite a Cobra)
Not Ranked     

I'm the OP. Hi everyone. What an amazing community -- post something late at night on Saturday and get a terrific, sometimes detailed, set of responses.

Neither spam nor a troll. I'm a Washington lawyer. I got the 458 (black on black) around 3 weeks ago from Ferrari of DC. It's a 2011 and has about 480 miles on it now.

My buddy is a Venture Capital guy who lives in Las Vegas. He's had the Kirkham for a year and has put about 20 miles on it, embarrassingly. He bought it used in 06, and he says that it is registered as a 65.

The race will be at the Las Vegas Speedway. I just need to ship the car out there.

So this is definitely for real, and the stakes are definitely very high.

It sounds like the key question here is to get some more details on his car. I apologize -- I'm neither a car guy generally, nor someone who knows Cobras certainly.

I do know that he has a side-oiler, and that he doesn't have anything else special intended to make the car hyperfast, such as nitrous. If you let me know what questions to ask about his engine, I'll be glad to.

In terms of the slicks, he bought the car with them on, and I think he just thinks they look cool. I tend to think that the slicks will earn him about one second over my tires in the quarter mile.

My great advantage does seem to be at the start, when my computer can deal with the launch and he has to generate a great start. Then I get the advantage of the shifts.

He will invest the time to get the shifting down better. There's a lot of money and pride at stake.

It will be videotaped.

Thanks for all your responses.
Closed Thread