Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     
Default Various questions from a new guy who appreciates whatever help might be offered.

Hey fellas. ? Wondering if 425 h.p. is enough? Just going to be a weekender and maybe a few 1/4 passes. Seems like alot of people on here are at 500+ any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Jamo; 03-22-2011 at 08:03 AM..
Old 03-13-2011, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

our club just did a dyno session, most of the cars were 285-335 at the rear wheels, nothing exotic, but i didn't see too many people disappointed!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks vector1. How bout this ? If I have 425 at the flywheel,how much rear wheel hp would I have? t5 wc tranny 9" with 3.50 gears with 275 50 15s approx. of course.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Assuming the usual 15% drive line loss, you're around 360 at the wheels.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

probably about as much as the t5 will handle. i would guess around 300 at the rear wheels. there was a guy there who probably had something similiar to your 351 and comparing it to my 351 which is rated at 385 he put down 330 range at the wheels, and my car is pleasant to drive. it's all dyno magic btw, only good for tuning or comparing two cars on the same dyno or under same conditions with similiar dyno setup.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

marcocsx, I sold my 69 vette to build my Cobra. Love 2 seaters, but Cobra is tops on my list!
Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

You have plenty of power, it's a power to weight game and cobras weight nothing, there is such a thing of having to much power, your cars power is a balanced car, which is the way to build one.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 290-320 rwhp

littlewave This is about what the real reading are, if dynoed. What you are REALLY looking for is TORQUE. This is what moves your car from still to what mph you want. HP is the top number your motor makes and is used at top end for high speeds. It sound like you have a nice car that will run good and last if you keep control of your right foot. I wouldn't recomend you drag race a T-5 trans. If you roll off the start line this will not abuse the trans. If you 3,000 rpm holeshot the car, trans or clutch with suffer.
As far as the 500-600hp motors heard on the forum, don't believe everything you hear. I have a 482 motor with 610 ft of tork and 560 HP. This goes to 420 rwhp and 480ft of tork. This is fast enough to have the car run low 11.0's if the tires would hook.
True drivetrain loss is about 15-22% depending on rearend, trans, what you are running off the motor, Alt, Waterpump, P/s, drysump oil pumps,and ac compressor. These all drain power.
Until you become a driver, you really don't need 500 hp. There are many a cobra owners here and a few that have died from having too much power and not rescept these cars. Cobras are fast, bural, unforgiving, and react faster than most drivers. Short wheel base also adds to the handling issues. The best orginial drivers say that 500 horse and 600 ft of tork are a safe limit. There are guys running real 700HP at the rear wheels. These are race cars with plates. You will catch the power bug over time, we all do. I went from a 452 to 482 to a 498 nasty motor. It's been a 15 year learning leason and worth the trip is you just remember safety first and know your limits. Driving schools are also a big help. Rick L.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow! thanks for your time Rick. I will read and head. btw. tq about 400 manual steering no a/c. good idea to drive a few summers then see if I need more. thanks again. lw.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

How much is enough? Don't know, havn't gotten there yet. But I think there's no real answer to that. Some people will say 300, and some 600. Depends on the driver, the rest of the car, and what you intend to do with it.

There's no such thing as too much power, only not enough control.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Don't let your ego take a hit with thinking "only 425 HP". You are looking at a great set up. Yeah, my '66 200 HP Mustang needed more, your Cobra won't need anymore to have the time of your LIFE!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A lot of cars have what seems like too much power.Mine dynoed at 585hp,at times feel like could use more.Most of the time it is plenty especially around town.Everybodies need for speed is a little different.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
littlewave This is about what the real reading are, if dynoed. What you are REALLY looking for is TORQUE. This is what moves your car from still to what mph you want. HP is the top number your motor makes and is used at top end for high speeds. It sound like you have a nice car that will run good and last if you keep control of your right foot. I wouldn't recomend you drag race a T-5 trans. If you roll off the start line this will not abuse the trans. If you 3,000 rpm holeshot the car, trans or clutch with suffer.
As far as the 500-600hp motors heard on the forum, don't believe everything you hear. I have a 482 motor with 610 ft of tork and 560 HP. This goes to 420 rwhp and 480ft of tork. This is fast enough to have the car run low 11.0's if the tires would hook.
True drivetrain loss is about 15-22% depending on rearend, trans, what you are running off the motor, Alt, Waterpump, P/s, drysump oil pumps,and ac compressor. These all drain power.
Until you become a driver, you really don't need 500 hp. There are many a cobra owners here and a few that have died from having too much power and not rescept these cars. Cobras are fast, bural, unforgiving, and react faster than most drivers. Short wheel base also adds to the handling issues. The best orginial drivers say that 500 horse and 600 ft of tork are a safe limit. There are guys running real 700HP at the rear wheels. These are race cars with plates. You will catch the power bug over time, we all do. I went from a 452 to 482 to a 498 nasty motor. It's been a 15 year learning leason and worth the trip is you just remember safety first and know your limits. Driving schools are also a big help. Rick L.
Rick speaks the truth. That is about the same parasitic loss that I have in my small block. Lots of HP is fun but as time goes by you will get tired of tuning and replacing parts and fixing all the little things that go wrong with a race motor. I also recommend spending the money on a twin disc clutch, that was the best thing i ever did in terms of helping the drivability of my car.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

This is the advice that I give everyone that I build an engine for:

Go for as much horsepower as your budget allows, as long as it keeps you in the rpm range that you'll be running the most.

You can get a TON of horsepower out of these engines, but the smaller engines need to start turning some revs to get there. There's no reason to build an engine that peaks at 7000 when you spend most of your time at 2500.

I also tell customers that they will get bored with the horsepower after about a year and they will come back wanting more, so they might as well go big from the get-go.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

blykins I sent an e-mail to ya.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I didn't receive one....did you send it to the address in my signature?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Is 425 hp enough? You have to decide that based on what is important to you. Talk to the builder about your expectations and your driving habits. Be realistic. Don’t say strip, if all you are going to do is take your wife to dinner in it. Do your homework. It’s a total package, not just engine. Great engine and crappy ______ (clutch/tranny/tires/brakes/etc.) is a recipe for disaster.

I looked for a mixture of outrageous power & sound, coupled with good reliability and decent drivability. When the crate showed up, it was magic. The engine dyno said 515hp/531 torque. Realistically, its way more than I could every use under normal circumstances (i.e. staying out of jail). But turn the key and bring it to life…all to good with the world.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1476 - Keith Craft 445ci, 636hp 613tq
Send a message via Skype™ to skippy
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post

I also tell customers that they will get bored with the horsepower after about a year and they will come back wanting more, so they might as well go big from the get-go.
Spot on, I'm one of those guys. Stroked 392 putting 500hp at flywheel before and i slowly grew into its shoes.

Last year i decided to pull the plug (after much research from CC) and am a lot happier. Lets see what my thoughts are in a couple of years (good god maybe a Big Block .. lol .. )

Good luck..

Skippy.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Let me see, 8 engines in 12 yrs. I guess I get used to the power rather quickly. I must admit though, I hope on I'm my last one, 800 horse and torque is enough.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     
Default Enough??

Or you can use the saying from the infamous CS:

Enough is enough. Too much is just right !!

The Nut