LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
Let me see, 8 engines in 12 yrs. I guess I get used to the power rather quickly. I must admit though, I hope on I'm my last one, 800 horse and torque is enough.
Funny how we all have our own need for speed,the very reason why it so hard to reccommend a powerplant to most people.Have given a lot of people a ride in my Big Block car,some have surprized me how much it scares them.Never intentionally try to.In my case had to draw the line while the car is still quite streetable.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     

Good stuff guys good stuff!!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcocsx3121 View Post
Assuming the usual 15% drive line loss, you're around 360 at the wheels.
I've been aware of the 15% rule of thumb for driveline loss for a long time, but it has always seemed a bit odd. Why would the amount of friction, and therefore energy lost to heat, created by the driveline vary proportionally to the amount of power produced by the engine? Seems that if it takes, e.g., 50 hp to spin the drivetrain to a given rpm, that should be the same regardless of the input hp. Clarification?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Different gears for example take a differant amt of power to turn--for example --a 4.10 gear ration turns differently than a 4.11----rolling friction of tires, IRS, ----

Big differance from chassis dyno to just engine dyno will be exhaust systems and cooling, intake air---
Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

rjbh20,

Parasitic drag increases with rpm, period. Takes more to turn a higher rpm than at a lower one. But this is just the rpm-related component and varies with the square of the rpm (roughly) and is independent of HP.

Adding to that, side loads and thrust loads in bearings and bushings go up as the torque applied increases (torque tries to split the transmission case or rear pumpkin for example). Those increased side and thrust loads increase the friction in the bearings and are parasitic losses related to torque (HP). HP is just torque at a specific RPM, so now we have an increase in resistance to turning that is driven by HP (torque at rpm). Additionally, the faces of the gear teeth slide against each other and there is another friction component. As anyone knows, as the load normal to the friction surface increases, the friction force increases (slide an empty box across your floor and then put bricks in it and slide it again... Harder to slide with brick in it!). Since the torque acts (HP) acts directly on each toth of a gear set, as torque (HP) increases, so does the frictional loss from the sliding of the gear teeth against each other.

There are a few other parasitic sources, but these are the major ones and other than the sheer speed of turning the drivetrain addressed in the first paragraph (slinging the oil, etc...), we have two major sources of loss that increase as HP increases. Therefore loss is proportional to HP (torque). Usually drivetrain losses are in the 15 to 23% range. IRS is usually higher - think of the u-joints as bearings with side-load (as the side load goes up the frictional loss goes up).

Hope this is enlightening.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
You don't have to be like your picture! Just let me know what a PM is!! I would have thought that someone WITH A CLUE would realize that with all the more posting experience I have that you would help a guy out rather than beat him down!!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Easy, li'l fella.

Did you read the original advisory from Jamo?

fluid

Quote:
Just a thought...

Instead of starting a new thread every time a random thought/question crosses your mind, think ahead and put down a list in a single thread or two.

12 threads in the first two pages of this Forum...five of them regarding the trans, including two entitled shifting and two asking about fluids.

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.

Collect your thoughts before a new thread...if the new idea relates to an older topic of your's, then post on THAT topic, not a whole new thread.

That helps people follow your train of thought.

...and Jamo's post was the help you were seeking.

ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the help and I'll follow the advice.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewave View Post
You don't have to be like your picture! Just let me know what a PM is!! I would have thought that someone WITH A CLUE would realize that with all the more posting experience I have that you would help a guy out rather than beat him down!!
And all of you have to say in public after another moderator pointed out that I did provide you with advice is smile?

You obviously knew the difference between starting a thread and posting replies within a thread. Given that all of this activity took place within a matter of a few days, one would think you would have an idea how many of these (several repeats) you had started.

So you attack a moderator by calling him an ass (notwithstanding the fact that I readily admit to being one if the opportunity presents itself)?

...and all you can do (in public) is smile?

...and since you thought to suggest to me about using PMs, you might want to acquaint yourself with what they are. Your off-camera remarks to me (which in no way provide you cover for your public remarks) were not in the form of a PM...visitor remarks on one's profile page are not PMs.

I've closed all of the other threads and retitled this one (because it is the longest) so you can feel free to ask all your questions in one place and get answers until this initial stage of your development passes. Folks here love to help new guys...as shown by the responses you received each time you started a new thread/asked the same question. I received PMs from several members complaining about all of your threads and the repeats...I don't go looking for stuff like this (don't have the time).

Might I suggest that when you enter any new community (doesn't matter whether you're from a small town...even the damn Australians figured out how to use this place) that you look around and get the feel of the place, and ask questions about how to use the features instead of calling folks trying to help you an ass.

You have a couple of moves you can make in public here....I'll wait and see.

Until then.

Last edited by Jamo; 03-22-2011 at 08:38 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

careful littlewave, you're in the big city now!!! i think it is just a little misunderstanding, i've talked to him on the phone, nice guy.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
careful littlewave, you're in the big city now!!! i think it is just a little misunderstanding, i've talked to him on the phone, nice guy.
Yes, it is a misunderstanding,I think I get it now.Certainly didn't mean to P.O. anyone.

My ADD is not HELPING EITHER. LOL!!

Last edited by littlewave; 03-22-2011 at 08:27 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

still waiting...
Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
still waiting...
Jamo, I don't know what i'm suppose to do. I sent you a personal message.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Did you read my last post in this thread?

I'm done. Don't respond to me anymore at this point. Follow the advice given. closing this one...start a new thread when you have some more questions and keep it going. Too much time spent here on this.

Last edited by Jamo; 03-22-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Closed Thread