Like Tree25Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Elegant Motors
Not Ranked     
Default How do you handle the questions?

I have about 100 miles on my car and it's so much fun driving. Most people are great but I have had a few that scream out the window "Is it real or a kit?" How do you respond to that? I mostly laugh and then leave them in the rear view mirror, but I put so much time and money into this car I find that question so annoying.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

I kinda like the answer you've been giving all along

It's the ones who pop the question when I'm standing still that I can't stand!!!!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Why does this question give people so much angst? We've discussed this a few times. The answer is 'It is a kit car'. I know you don't think so, but if it isn't a 196x Cobra, it is a kit car; at least in the eyes of the person that is asking (this includes Shelby continuation cars per judges Rogers, Walsh and Bergsman). They just want to know if they are looking at a 196x car or a reproduction. That's all.

Are you not proud of your car? Do you not want to call it a kit car? Do you want to fool people that it is a 196x Cobra? Is there some ego that needs to be satisfied? Are you like Evan? Do you need to let everyone know how much you spent on it and how wonderful your Cobra copy is and it is not a kit made of random parts? What is this person asking the question to you and what do you care what they think?

If it is not a 196x Cobra, it's a kit. No, it's not a reproduction or a replica or a car built from the ground up with great engineering. That's not what they are asking. They are asking if it is a 196x Cobra. Nothing more.

I just say yes, its a kit. Then we usually have a nice conversation about it.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I don't find the question demeaning or negative in any way. They just want to know whether it was built back in the 60's or more recently. When I have time to answer, I say "It's a replica of a Shelby Cobra." I've yet to have anyone look disappointed or say anything like, "Oh, nevermind then." Rather, they are happy to look at it. They're not mean for asking. They're just curious.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique&Collectible 392 stroked
Not Ranked     

YEA its a kit alright but dang there were alot of parts left out...engine,trans, sterring coloumn, wheels etc..etc..etc...but yea its a kit
Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Elegant Motors
Not Ranked     

Paul

Relax it's a question, not a mission statement. The way it's typically asked is "Is that real or just a kit", just a kit refers to a box of body pieces that I ordered and put on some piece of crap mustang 1991 donor with all used parts. I clearly am not trying to represent my car as an original Cobra or I would not have painted it purple. I think there is a stigma with the idea of a "Kit Car", I didn't replicate anything other than the body, everything was custom.. I actually refer to it as a hot rod more than anything.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

There is a very short list of people I try not to lie to and they don't get the truth when it serves me best. I am surely not beyond lying to strangers. I always tell them it's real if they ask. They seem much happier and so am I. That is the only reason I could see talking to strangers. If the intercourse isn't gonna at least make me feel better I don't see the point unless they happen to be a good looking girl and I'm gonna try my best to sell her a bill of goods. I have spent a lifetime dissapointing my parents, children and an x-wife. I see no reason to dissapoint strangers too.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I actually don't like the term "kit car". When asked, I tell people it's a replica. They get it. If they want to know more, I tell them I built it myself and they're usually impressed.

Most people ask because they are genuinely curious. They may be impressed with the car, but would like to determine if they are actually in the presence of a 60's vintage legend.

Nope. Just in the presence of an outrageously cool car.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I'm with DD, I too don't like the term "kit car" and I tell them it's a replica also. Then they say, "well I thought it was an original because of the black and yellow license plate".
To which my response is, "It's a replica too."
Bob
Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

What's more impressive, owning an old collector car that is worth so much you can't drive it, or a car that you built from ground up, every nut and bolt, screw and tack!
I'm proud to call it a replica built from a kit.
It usually starts a conversation like, what came in the kit? What frame did you use? Did you paint it? etc....
Most people leave more impressed that you built it than just owning a collector car.
You betcha it's real, just not real old! (I think someone else said that!)

Then if they still act like it's nothing, I offer to give them a ride and scare the %#@$ out of them!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, FR302
Not Ranked     

I Like Jay - VMS response to the questions is it real? No, it's unreal. In the end it is what it is. You enjoy it so who really cares what someone else thinks. Just my 2-cents for what ever that's worth!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Do you REALLY care what they think? It's all about how YOU feel. Tell them what it really is. Either way you both win, after all, you're the one in the seat and who's name is on the title. Mind games are not good either way.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm trying to understand why people even bring up this question. That's why I posted so many questions. From the response I see that Fleiss, DD, Mastiff, and Clayboy feel offended in some way with the term kit car. Your car is better than a kit car. So it is your ego you are dealing with, not their question. A simple 'its a kit car' answers their question. Lying or saying it is a replica feeds your ego, and tells them you have a problem with the term kit car. That in no way changes their view (it's not a 1960's car), but makes you feel better. Is that right?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The problem is that some hear the term "kit car" and think of:
Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So what? What does that have to do with their question? Their question is, 'is it a 196x Cobra' ; the answer is 'no' with no further embellishment. If the question is 'is that a real Cobra or a kit car'. The answer is 'it's a kit car'.

That tells them everything they want to know. Anything else is just you feeding your insecurities. It changes nothing about what they want to know or care about. The fact that you have some brilliantly built replica is of no interest to them; only to you.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I usually get asked, "is it real" to which I respond "I wish".
Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree with you Paul, but I have also had some ask if it was a kit car and when I answered it was, they then asked who manufactured it and how hard it was to put together. Often times they stated that they had always wanted to build one but thought it would be too difficult. I have had a number of good conversations with people by not getting my feeling hurt and offering them information on the car. If you are willing to talk to them and are excited about your car, you'll find you will meet a lot of great people that are very impressed with your car. The trick is to not be offended, but informative!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Evan (Real 1), White Courtesy telephone. Evan, White Courtesy telephone.

Where's that "popcorn" emoticon when you need it.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnfletcher View Post
I agree with you Paul, but I have also had some ask if it was a kit car and when I answered it was, they then asked who manufactured it and how hard it was to put together. Often times they stated that they had always wanted to build one but thought it would be too difficult. I have had a number of good conversations with people by not getting my feeling hurt and offering them information on the car. If you are willing to talk to them and are excited about your car, you'll find you will meet a lot of great people that are very impressed with your car. The trick is to not be offended, but informative!
Agreed. That's what I was mentioning in my first post. Saying it is a kit car leads onto a nice conversation about what motor, what vendor, and the usual list of questions.

It goes with the car. It's like being a celebrity. Every time you step out, you need to be in a good mood (you should be, your the envy of everyone on the road) and have a good time with the people that want to interact with you.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Here's just one thread from last year......which Jamo merged with another similar thread from last year......

This one was entitled: "How to deal with questions/comments where the answer is....well....you know..."

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100137
Closed Thread