Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default AC Cobra Hardtops

Got caught in the rain while driving my little supercar. After getting soaked I quickly discovered what an unpleasant experience being cold and wet is.

Then I tried getting a hard top because that experience brought visions of heat and A/C as well. What I found was an unacceptable waiting period.

Went to the phone; called some friends in the plastics industry (yes Mr. Robinson was right) and found making tops was not a big deal and not as expensive as I thought. So I started thinking: what shape, how much and how many. . . .

But before I get ahead of myself, does everyone wait for a sunny day to drive these little cars or am I just out-of-step?

Assuming I am not the only one in this pickle, which top designs are the best?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DB427SC. 289FIA. COUPE. Round tube, Aluminium body, 427FE
Not Ranked     

Hi.
There are plenty of hardtops out there, the "Search" finction should pull up plenty of results.
Artur likes this.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=3553&cat=2
Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Drive my car whenever the mood strikes.When building, the final touches were the soft top and tonneau.Water will still migrate in because it is what it is but by no means do you get soaked.One of the reasons why my floors are painted rather than carpet.Both work great but now need a hardtop just to feel like the car is as complete as it will ever be.I believe Ape Products has the top I want.Good Luck
john4337 likes this.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I have a hardtop for my Superformance. With the sliding side curtains it keeps the car pretty dry in rain. But the big benefit for me is it allows me to use the car on cold winter days. The heater along with the top really works well.

I am considering putting it on for the really hot months - July, August. It is unbearable in the mid-day sun during those months. Top up with no sidecurtains would make it OK.

I actually do not like the look of the car with the top on. If it wasn't for the heat/cold/rain I would never put it on. But heat/cold/rain are part of living on this planet.

Jack
Old 02-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile hard top

here is a hard top for sale but it pricie, comes with the Cobra

Dwight

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=3552&cat=2

Last edited by Dwight; 02-27-2011 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: add pic and link
Old 02-27-2011, 05:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

sometimes your lucky when it rains

Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene_J View Post
Got caught in the rain while driving my little supercar. After getting soaked I quickly discovered what an unpleasant experience being cold and wet is.

Then I tried getting a hard top because that experience brought visions of heat and A/C as well. What I found was an unacceptable waiting period.

Went to the phone; called some friends in the plastics industry (yes Mr. Robinson was right) and found making tops was not a big deal and not as expensive as I thought. So I started thinking: what shape, how much and how many. . . .

But before I get ahead of myself, does everyone wait for a sunny day to drive these little cars or am I just out-of-step?

Cobra owners (most of us) get caught in the rain quite frequently, as long as you are going 34mph or faster the water goes over the windshield and over your head. Once you go below that, you will get wet.

As for hardtops, most owners (even when the cars where new) found them to be bulky and hard to remove at a moments notice. When traveling long distance they did not afford for any "fun in the sun"and were usually left at home unused in the garage. Of course some used the soft top, but like most British designs, it was only marginally sufficient at keeping the rain out of the passenger compartment. If you are planning a mass produced run of tops, you'll find a truly limited audience, once which may not cover your initial engineering and production costs.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Gene,
What make of replica do you own?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I wanted a hard top for just the opposite reason...the thought of being baked by the sun on 100+ degree days was not something I was looking forward to. I have had the top off about half the time during this winter, great topless cruising around town, but great to have it on for longer cruises especially on the highway. The noise reduction at highway speeds is dramatic. Perhaps it is just my car, but I have never experienced any of the heat problems from the engine to the cockpit that I have heard about. With two front clips and two bolts in the rear, I can have the top on or off in under 5 minutes by myself. Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B hard top

here is a B&B hardtop that we are putting on a turnkey car right now just to give you an Idea of what ours looks like.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2011, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Dave, Jack, Dwight and Bill

Dave,

I’m assuming you're located on the other side of the pond. I have noticed Cobra tops seem much more plentiful and varied where you are. Of course, that may also be attributed to the weather because the bulk of replica Cobras in the US are located in the Sun Belt. Many of the UK Cobra replicas also seem to have more luxurious interiors than the cars here.

That being said, my concern was I could only locate several hardtop manufacturers in the US; all of whom told me their lead time is 4 – 6 weeks. By that time I won’t need a hardtop. I'll need sunscreen!

Thanks,
Gene
--------------------------------------------
Jack,

I believe your Superformance hardtop is made by APE Products.

Yes, in the Southwest the late spring and summers can get hot so a top is a nice antiskin cancer tool.

Thanks,
Gene
-----------------------------------------

Dwight,

That is a copy of the Cobra Dragon Snake top.

“In 1964, Carroll Shelby's A.C. Cobras dominated the American road racing scene. The Shelby American racing team and independent Cobras won every race they competed in. Shelby had intended the Cobras to be street cars and road racers. Ford wasn't interested in drag racing and therefore neither was Shelby American. Along the way, a few of Shelby's employees convinced him to furnish them a 289 Cobra to build a drag car. They called it the DragonSnake.”

It’s a hardtop, but not too aerodynamic. I want to use my little car as a driver and I do lots of freeway driving.

Thanks,
Gene
--------------------------------------------
Bill,

Yes, during my jaunt in the rain storm I was torn between getting soaked and hydroplaning. Because of traffic concerns I chose the former as I didn’t want to slide under an 18 wheeler.

I was told a well made hardtop goes on and comes off faster than a convertible top.

There must be something else going on here Bill. Do most owners believe using a top is a Mortal Sin or is their supercar in the garage most of the time?

Thanks,
Gene
Old 02-27-2011, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Daves Hardtop

I have the tops In stock so it would just be a matter of a few days to make a crate and ship we get 1500 for a top with rear window and all the mounting hardware, 1750 uif you want the side curtains
Davereeves likes this.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Mr Bruce

Mr Bruce,

Does your hardtop come with all the fittings (less side curtains) and weatherstripping?

How leak proof is the windshield area?

What windshield angle does it fit best?

Which wheel base replica (90-94-96) will it fit most securely?

How do you handle the "dead air" in the back?

How soon can one be ready to go?

Thanks,
Gene
Old 02-27-2011, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Bryan

Bryan,

Do you have any additional photos?

Thanks,
Gene
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B hardtop

yes the top comes with molding that goes all the way around the bottom of the top and seals great against the body, it has the chrome buttons for the body, the rear plexiglass window and molding, the clamps that hook to the windshield everything but the side curtains are included, our car is a 90" wheel base the angle of your windshield might need to be change a little to fit the curve of the hardtop. I could have everything put together and ready to go by the end of the week. you can go over to www.bandbroadster.com and go into the owners group photo section and see more hardtop. let me Know If I can get you anything else
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Gene,

These are some photos of my hardtop
Snake2998 and BAsque1 like this.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

I like my Hardtop for early spring and fall. Sometimes on long afternoon car shows the hardtop protects the interior from sun. All in all I'm glad I have a choice.
Lou
Old 02-27-2011, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SoTxButler,

Now that is a clever approach!!

Gene
Old 02-27-2011, 06:09 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene_J View Post

You might have missed the question buried in previous posts, but I believe someone asked which car (real or kit) you have? Not all tops will fit all cars out of the box.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS