LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra #659 SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default New Member

Hello -

Just wanted to post a short introduction here. My name is Don, have gone by V-MAN for years long before any internet forum existed. I live just north of Pittsburgh, PA. I've always been a speed/power junkie. I've been wanting a Cobra since I was a little kid ... that dream just became a reality last week when I purchased a Backdraft Cobra. I sold a very dear to me Boss Hoss in return for the Cobra (wish I could have had both).

I'll try and post a picture here if it works the same as other forums
I bought the car in NC and drove it home ... over 560 miles! I think the Cobra got more attention then my Boss did and I would have never guessed that possible. I had a blast on the trip home, wore out the rear tires! I have another set of sneakers on the way for the rear as I type. Maybe somebody from my area can tell me where to have tires mounted and balanced ... I'm a little concerned because of the pin drive wheels.

Looking forward to hanging out here and learning where I can and helping others where I can.

Don

Old 03-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the purchase. That's a well known Backdraft... who could forget that color combo? Good luck with it. The tire shops equipment will handle the wheels/tires just fine. Though you may want to bring the wheels to them so they don't mess them up taking them off and putting them back on the car.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #880, Ford Racing 392 w/4 - 48IDA Webers, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I saw that car while I was shopping for mine. I knew whoever bought it would have a biker background. It is a very unique car and I liked the color combination.

Last edited by digginfool; 03-24-2011 at 07:50 AM..
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

I also saw that cobra when Reg Dodd still had it in his innovatory. I have a friend from Pa. who owns a Red/White Backdraft but he spends his winters here in southern Florida with his Cobra. Welcome aboard

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Last edited by CobraDan; 03-24-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Welcome Don.....I see you found the "Great Pumpkin".....
just kidding Don, great looking ride you will enjoy it alot....
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Welcome! Very nice and unique cobra. Good luck with it!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
Welcome Don.....I see you found the "Great Pumpkin".....
just kidding Don, great looking ride you will enjoy it alot....
The Great Pumpkin nice colour, I have a magazine article on a Morgan +8 with a really cool colour called "orange chrome" and to me it looked so much more alive compared to BRG.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     

V-MAN, Same story, sold my 73 Superglide and my 69 Vette to build my Cobra. I live in North Central Pa. Have fun & be safe:
Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, FR302
Not Ranked     

Welcome Don. Nice Cobra. I gave up an original rust free 66 Mustang Fasrback for my Cobra. I still however have a Grabber Orange 07 Mustang GT we use for trips. If only us gear heads had deep pockets and could own all the cars we ever wanted!

Roger
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Been out of town and no computer access - THANKS for all the welcomes! New tires arrived while I was away also so looking forward to getting them mounted!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

V-MAN, welcome, gawd, that's one awsome lookin' beast, its got that DFWM look about it. Can you post the specs and what color the car is. I have never seen such a color, it has significant presence.

Cheers, John, AKA, tin-man, Zhuhia, P.R.C.

Last edited by tin-man; 04-02-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft BDR 970, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     
Default What a color

Welcome to the club. If you are ever in south central PA, give me a shout.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-man View Post
V-MAN, welcome, gawd, that's one awsome lookin' beast, its got that DFWM look about it. Can you post the specs and what color the car is. I have never seen such a color, it has significant presence.

Cheers, John, AKA, tin-man, Zhuhia, P.R.C.
THANKS!

The car is a Backdraft built late 2008. Speedfanatic installed driveline, 402R backed by TKO600. BDR stock front/rear suspension. Color is Harley Orange with black stripes and meatballs. It's a "Jack Roush Edition" which I believe is the "blacked out" components (wheels, shield, light trims, exhaust, roll bar, mirror, gas cover and quick lifts). Engine dynoed from Roush @ 509HP and then was massaged lightly for a bit more (no numbers given other then "bit"). I am big into motorcycles so the color caught my eye first, I believe it is one off paint combo. Car was very well put together but I have a couple changes to make just to make it mine.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewave View Post
V-MAN, Same story, sold my 73 Superglide and my 69 Vette to build my Cobra. I live in North Central Pa. Have fun & be safe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMac View Post
Welcome to the club. If you are ever in south central PA, give me a shout.
Maybe when weather breaks we can all meet up someplace to kick tires! I have family in Gettysburg area so I'm down there semi often. If your ever in my area certainly get in touch.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Welcome Don,also sold my motorcycle (Harley) in 93 to start my kit project.Now have two more Harleys and just picked up a Boss Hoss to complement the Cobra.Good Luck and enjoy that new hot rod.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Don,
Nice ride! There is a local club in the W PA area. Call me 4122980337 or email rcarroll@andrewsic.com and I can get you info if you don't already have it.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congrats. I am not sure how familiar you are with a car as light as the Cobra but the tire pressure needed is much lower that what you would have in a regular daily driver. I am not really familiar with your make and I don't know what size tires you purchased so I cannot give any recommendations. Congrats again and have fun.

Edit below:
I only posted about tire pressure because the car is new to you and you are immediately replacing tires. 35 psi will make for a slick (not in a good way) ride.

Last edited by slaga; 04-06-2011 at 04:56 AM..
Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
Welcome Don,also sold my motorcycle (Harley) in 93 to start my kit project.Now have two more Harleys and just picked up a Boss Hoss to complement the Cobra.Good Luck and enjoy that new hot rod.

Your in my old neck of woods! Sold my house in Berwick, ME two years ago to move closer to my grandparents that are 90 years old. My Dad passed away and it was too hard keeping an eye on them 900 miles away. I still consider Maine/NH "home" and will eventually move back. I loved my Boss and really hated selling it but ... one of those things. I may build another but it would be hard to build another like I had. It was NASTY! Enjoy your new ride too!

http://youtu.be/fjcnhx92Sb4

http://youtu.be/1Z4n3xZmlsI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatdevil View Post
Don,
Nice ride! There is a local club in the W PA area. Call me 4122980337 or email rcarroll@andrewsic.com and I can get you info if you don't already have it.

Shooting you an e-mail right now! Thanks, I don't know much about anything in the area so it would be good to meet some local people with similiar intrests!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaga View Post
Congrats. I am not sure how familiar you are with a car as light as the Cobra but the tire pressure needed is much lower that what you would have in a regular daily driver. I am not really familiar with your make and I don't know what size tires you purchased so I cannot give any recommendations. Congrats again and have fun.

Edit below:
I only posted about tire pressure because the car is new to you and you are immediately replacing tires. 35 psi will make for a slick (not in a good way) ride.
Running Vredestein front/rear 235/45 ZR17 and 315/35 ZR17 I have pressure set at 28# front/rear. I figured a little stickier with less pressure. Does that sound about right? I think the tire wear is just me not having any self control and I was "feeling" the car out being new to me. I hope the new set (waiting for lead hammer to arrive) when I get them installed will last a little longer ... got to stay off the peddle a little!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

SWEEEET BEAST DON!!! I just brought mine home to the North Hills of Pittsburgh and waiting on Harrisburg so I can become legal!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLip View Post
SWEEEET BEAST DON!!! I just brought mine home to the North Hills of Pittsburgh and waiting on Harrisburg so I can become legal!
Looks like we're about neighbors! Congratulations on your new car, post up pictures when you get a chance. If the weather ever breaks and we get a dry day maybe we can meet up someplace ... I'm new to the area so I don't know a lot of good places, still learning!

Don

PS
Got a plate and inspection but still waiting on stickers from Harrisburg to be fully legal myself