26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B electric Cobra

B&B has been contracted to build several all electric Cobra's you can see the build at EVTV.ME starting next week, I drove a couple of speedsters that have been converted over to EV and I can tell you i was sold, the pop off the line was great I drove the cars for over an Hour and was completly sold, for a guy like me who has been in the business for over 30 years building big loud V8 cobra's this was an experince, It took me about 10 seconds to get over the fact that there was no noise, I loved the car, so if you get a chance whatch the show and post your thoughts.

Bryan
*B&B Manufacturing - :::: - Feel the Thunder - :::: - Hotrods from Kit to Turn Key - ::::
Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B electric car

Just an update the Electric Cobra show is now up on EVTV.ME
Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

OK, call me ignorant, but what is EVTV.ME?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B electric car

this is a weekly TV show just for electric car convertion guys, Jack Rickard does the show, he is the industry leader in electric cars. he will be showing week by week what he is doing on the electric convertion on the first B&B cobra.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Bryan, when I bought my car I seriously considered making it electric. The B&B frame is perfect for a conversion. Like was said in the video there is plenty of room for batteries. It will be interesting to see what the overall cost are. When I was looking into it I think it was running about 8-10K for the parts not including the batteries. I would think for the next version you would not want to narrow the axle so you could put narrower rear wheels on. Wide tires are a negative for an EV car.

It would seem if you can get an EV kit going without the electrics they would be cheaper. Less gauges, no fuel tank, and so on could bring the price down.

It will be good to see the detail of this build. Can the guys doing the build take pictures of the detail as they go that you can post. It would be good to see a build thread on the car.

I would put the Lemans fuel cap on the car and open it to plug in the charger.

Wayne
Old 05-10-2011, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A Cobra with skinny hard tires?

I'll have to pass!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not that skinny Larry. Just not the 295s I have. They cause a lot of resistence. I think the future will look somewhat different, but will still be fun.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Watched the video and it looks very interesting.
I would have to figure out a way to get some of that Cobra sound out of the psudo pipes on the side!
Tremec TKO seems like a lot of shifting for an electric car.?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     
Default whatch the show and post your thoughts.

My thoughts.......... an Electric Cobra........

Shocking!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry you get one of these.
YouTube - Flip This Car accessories test - V-8 Soundracer, or
YouTube - Sound Racer

Mount the speakers on the louvers.

Last edited by Wbulk; 05-10-2011 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: fix
Old 05-11-2011, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yikes... that is some DRY production. Better have a lot of time on your hands. Couldn't fast forward quick enough to get to the meat.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What's the matter BT, you don't like wine tasting TV? Doesn't really go along with Cobra's and big V8 motor heads but neither does EV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbulk View Post
YouTube - Sound Racer

I think it would work! AMPS!!!! and speakers funneled into the pseudo sidepipes!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B electric car

after taking the car to jack he already said that he was going to run smaller tires on the car, and the car is going to have the gas cap and the plug will be under the cap, as for savings yes there are some savings no headers, no radiator or gas tank, the car still has gauges speedo, Tack, the fuel gauge is used for the battery level the big cost is the Batteries, the lithium batteries for this car are about 8,000 and I have been told that the cost keeps dropping every year but this is the big cost, but what is a stroker V8 running?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

How long will the batteries run before needing a charge? Also what is the advertised length of life for them? I live in the mountains and I know that will drain batteries fast as a few people have tried electric cars around here and have to run most of the time on the engines in the hybrids.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think they said they were trying for 120 or so mile range in the video. On battery life they believed possible three times regular battery life and maybe the life of the car.

I agree with Larry, they really need to reevaluate the trans issue and get the math right. I took notes during the video. Wouldn't want to go through that slow moving thing again. They said you don't need first or second gear. They need an eight to one gear reduction. The motor should be running at about 5,600 rpms at 60 mph. The wheel speed should be about 750 rpms, at I guess, 60 mph. It looks like you don't need a lot of gears for this thing. In the older EV books I read they locked out all the gears except 2nd and reverse. It all depends on the trans and axle ratios for sure. Could it be that a five or six speed could be a waste. Maybe an old strong three speed is all that's needed. Is this thing going to shift in forward gears. Most older EV vehicles I have seen don't have flywheels or clutches.

It would really be nice for the foundation of the design to all be layed out and the detail of the math explained. There ought to take an episode and go over this. Or is it just hit and miss. After all a fair amount gas Cobra builders don't do much of that until they drive the car and find they have the wrong axle ratio for the big cammed engine they put in, and then they put the wrong trans in.

I think we need to keep asking the questions.

Wayne

Last edited by Wbulk; 05-11-2011 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: fix
Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B electric

the numbers that Jack gave to me was 200 mile range and the car that I drove had a 9" motor they are going to run a 11" in the cobra for even more power then the speedster.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bryan, I think this could really be a good deal for B&B. I really hope that you can keep us up to date on the detail. Please start a build thread on this and give us a chance to get questions answered. Perhaps the company that is doing the Electronics build part can join the forum and answer question on a build thread.

Wayne
Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B electric cobra

the first B&B all electric cobra is just about done, please follow the build on EVTV.me also the big EVCON is comming up next month for anyone that would like to attend you can find all of the convention detail;s at EVTV.ME
Old 08-20-2011, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbulk View Post
YouTube - Sound Racer
Thanks for the link, just ordered one of these. Good gift for my son and his Ford Ranger
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleyellar View Post
My thoughts.......... an Electric Cobra........

Shocking!
Well, errr, seems I rode one ' them there cars in Disneyland. Sorry guys its not my cup of tea. no sound, no smell, no hot feet, no shake rattle and roll, no varooom, varooom. And besides that, how do you get to piss off your neighbours without the awesome sound of a big block when it starts up and rattles their windows. Also, its kinda doubtful y'all will be able drive thru an underground parking lot and set of all the alarms with an electric car........ tin-man