Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 427 Cobra #611 help...

Hello all! This is my first post. I have some questions if some could help with. I'm looking to buy ERA #611, it is at Classic cars for sale, muscle cars for sale, and exotic cars for sale by Flemings Ultimate Garage, it's the only cobra listed for sale on the site. They want 50k for it and claim they have a folder that has close to 80k in recipes. First off I that a good deal? Second what is the difficulty in maintaince for these cars are they relatively easy or the same as a normal car? Is there any thing I should like at/for when going to look at it and test drive it? I called Peter at ERA and let me tell you as I have been reading and as most of you know...wow what a great bunch of guys! They are above and beyond at customer service, they helped me with everything I need to gather from them with flying colors. I've noticed in my looking for a nice cobra that they are very few in between ERA's for sale I see alot of superformamce and factory fives for sale along with a few backdrafts. I'm taking that ERA's are a good car and people are holdin on to them. How's the value hold up on these cars. It has a 1968 428 with 427 head and a Richmond five speed. Okay also....

Here's my thing, I have a 1966 impala ss convertible with a 396 bb that has 27k original documented miles on it. This car by any means is no Barrett Jackson car but I would give it a good 6 or 7 out of 10. Also I have a 2004 corvette Z06 commemritive edition with 24k on it completely stock that I owe 28k on. The dealer tells me he'll trade me straight up for both cars and roll the 28k over on the cobra (I guess they will) lol. I just want some insite on wether or not that may seem fair and is a good deal. The deal will not move a penny on the asking price. If you guys could take a peek at that car and tell me what you think it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced
Old 05-16-2011, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

There's no doubt that ERA is one of the best. I have to say that the guy in the video was quite a turn off. I get the sense you're chomping at the bit to get a car and I would only say that you may want to take a little time and do some checking around. I'm sure the car is worth $50K as described, but it is a buyer's market right now and there are some great deals to be had.

Also, do you know what you're getting into with Cobra ownership? It's probably nothing like what you're used to with the vette and Impala. Though I've had my car for ten years, I've seen a lot of them come and go. Buying a Cobra is an emotional deal - take it easy.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I would suggest calling Peter at ERA and get the history of the car. And review their web site for some details about ERA cars. Era Replica Automobiles - Makers of the 427, 289FIA, and GT40 replicas

For a really clean ERA with the right options like a 427 or maybe 428, $50k could be a fair price. Keep in mind ERA had a major upgrade at #731. I personally think the later cars are significantly better than the older ones. I have had both.

The market is very soft and deals can be had.

ERA makes a great car and they are a class act.

John
Old 05-16-2011, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=

Also, do you know what you're getting into with Cobra ownership? It's probably nothing like what you're used to with the vette and Impala. Though I've had my car for ten years, I've seen a lot of them come and go. Buying a Cobra is an emotional deal - take it easy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have no idea what I'm getting into, what does it intail?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Hard to say if $50k is the right price. Ernie, on this forum, has a nice 427 ERA for sale for $30k or $35k. I think it's in the Cobras for sale section. I looked at this car prior to his purchase, and would have paid $35k for it back then.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Ernie's handle is Excaliber

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-16-2011, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Each one is essentially "one of a kind". Good weather-only driver. Potentially dangerous to drive if you have any highschool kid left in you at all. Late model car that won't come close to passing emissions. Sometimes a challenge to insure. Consistent maintenance an absolute requirement.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just regular maintenance as fad as Floyd chugs and stuff like that? Also do they title as a 1966 in this case or the year of build? William have to go through emissions?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA#611 View Post
Also do they title as a 1966 in this case or the year of build? William have to go through emissions?
That all depends where you live.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I live in Maryland not too far from where the car is being sold.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA#611 View Post
I live in Maryland not too far from where the car is being sold.
These guys might be able to help:

www.capitalareacobraclub.com - Index
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is this the same ERA that was at European Motorcars in CT? If so, I looked at it about 1 year ago. I can't remember the chassis number. The alum. sheet under the hood looks the same as do several other features. The color is pretty unique. How many ERAs are dark silver?

If this is the same car I can give you my report offline.

John
Old 05-16-2011, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for input

I can't thank all of you enough with the help I get here. I wish my fellow corvette owners were this helpful, lol

Last edited by ERA#611; 05-16-2011 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Misleading info for my email address
Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Look at this link. I say it is the same car. Used 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 ERA Replica for Sale. Stock #T39005 | DealerRevs.com - Car Ad #21993707

I visited ERA, met Jeffy and inspected this ERA.

I will shoot you a quick email with my phone number.

John
Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your input John, you were very helpful
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Let me get this straight. You are gonna give them both cars and still owe 28k? If that's what this deal entails, you are selling your cars short. Maybe I misunderstood.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 351 W
Not Ranked     

You should check out capitalareacobraclub.com One of the newer members bought a car from Flemings and had a very difficult time titling it. It took several months as I recall.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 482 Shelby / TKO 600
Not Ranked     

This is the car from CT. I know the owner who built it. He did a nice job on this car. You can pm me with any questions.

Last edited by Rottie; 05-16-2011 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 05-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

The former owner was a member here, who documented many aspects of the build. Do a search for posts by Todd Hedges. You may be able to contact him through this website. Here is the link to his profile.

Club Cobra - View Profile: Todd Hedges

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenbubba View Post
You should check out capitalareacobraclub.com One of the newer members bought a car from Flemings and had a very difficult time titling it. It took several months as I recall.
Really? That's nuts. I will have to reach outnto them and see what they have to say. Thanks for the heads up!