Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Got My Second Choice Cobra!

OK! Finally got my second choice after my first fell through. Was probably meant to go that way in the first place. Here's what I got:

NAF built in '88
20K miles
5 speed
PB
Mustang 2 front
8 inch rear
4 link with panar bar
Coil

Car was taken to the shop this morning to have the clutch work done. After thats completed were getting bigger tires and need to lower the car about 5 inches!

Here are a few pics for now and will have more when it's on the lift!

Last edited by Aedds; 05-19-2011 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: added details
Old 05-18-2011, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure how to know what # mine is? Will the Vin help any? The end 3 digits are B _ _.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here are a few more:

Oil pan issue:

This is what I need help with, the clutch.... Any ideas? I can push it in without some massive force:
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Congrats, thats a nice looking ride you got......enjoy the heck out of it...
Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

Congrats on finding the car! Glad you found one to give it a new home!
that looks like late model Mustang clutch cable, 85-93 style. it should have a quadrant on the pedal assy. under the dash that pulls the cable when you depress the pedal. most likely culprit is a bad cable (frayed inside) or a bad plastic quadrant. those can be replaced with metal aftermarket quadrants that don't fail.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I take it that will that help with the amount of pressure that needs to be applied? Do you have any other ideas to make the clutch easier to work with?

BTW, I am 5'2 and not a dude! Another reason why the clutch is such a big issue for me

Last edited by Aedds; 05-19-2011 at 06:03 AM..
Old 05-19-2011, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I'm 5'2 and not a dude......WHAT!!!!!.....thats OK, you like Cobras....that would make you the perfect nondude.....
Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Hi Aedds, Major congrats on the car. I too have a mid 80's NAF car with a 351 Cleveland motor, 4- speed and 3.70's. You can see pics in my gallery. I hate to ask you this and if you do not want to say, that is perfectly fine. I have been thinking of selling mine but not sure what to ask. If you would not mind, how much did you pay for your car?

Thanks a lot,
Byron

Last edited by byron w; 05-19-2011 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron w View Post
Hi Aedds, Major congrats on the car. I too have a mid 80's NAF car with a 351 Cleveland motor, 4- speed and 3.70's. You can see pics in my gallery. I hate to ask you this and if you do not want to say, that is perfectly fine. I have been thinking of selling mine but not sure what to ask. If you would not mind, how much did you pay for your car?

Thanks a lot,
Byron
Thank you!!

Let's just say it was listed in the high 20's and worked him down due to some work needed on the car.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:50 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedds View Post

BTW, I am 5'2 and not a dude!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will get some other pics once the car is back on the road. Just received the seat tracks so those will be going in soon. Hoping to meet up with everyone for breakfast sometime!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the car, it looks great! Will look even better once the lowering is complete. As for the clutch, it is doubtful the cable or quadrant will fix the stiff issue. Look at the firewall where the clutch cable comes through, if there is an adjuster, you should already have a fixed quadrant which is good. If you don't have one and are still running the stock nylon quadrant with adjuster pawl, you should replace it with a fixed aluminum quadrant and the firewall adjuster. Do you know what clutch is in the car? Stiff aftermarket clutches will cause the stock quadrant to fail over time (another way to test this is to put your foot under the clutch pedal and pull it back towards you. If you feel the cable adjust, then you know you have the stock quadrant). Typically, the only way to make a cable clutch easier to operate (assuming all parts are good) is to replace the clutch or at least the pressure plate.

Good luck with your car! You might want to consider trim rings for your roll bar. It will clean up that area.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Congrats on the car, it looks great! Will look even better once the lowering is complete. As for the clutch, it is doubtful the cable or quadrant will fix the stiff issue. Look at the firewall where the clutch cable comes through, if there is an adjuster, you should already have a fixed quadrant which is good. If you don't have one and are still running the stock nylon quadrant with adjuster pawl, you should replace it with a fixed aluminum quadrant and the firewall adjuster. Do you know what clutch is in the car? Stiff aftermarket clutches will cause the stock quadrant to fail over time (another way to test this is to put your foot under the clutch pedal and pull it back towards you. If you feel the cable adjust, then you know you have the stock quadrant). Typically, the only way to make a cable clutch easier to operate (assuming all parts are good) is to replace the clutch or at least the pressure plate.

Good luck with your car! You might want to consider trim rings for your roll bar. It will clean up that area.
I'm going to test the pedal and see. I don't know what clutch is in the car now but will find out. I would like to see other setups to see if I am missing something. As for the trim rings, do I just measure around the bar to figure out what size I need? After I find the size are they made for any roll bar kinda universal?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Aedds, check out the Mcleod clutch website. they have a conversion for a hydraulic slave setup... should make the clutch pedal easier
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Aedds,

Thanks a lot or the post. That is about what I was thinking as well. It looks like a great ride and I wish you many smiles per mile!! Good luck !!

ByronW.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No setup as far as quadrant and adjuster pawl.... I'm going over to take a few more pics of the clutch setup I have.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedds View Post
No setup as far as quadrant and adjuster pawl.... I'm going over to take a few more pics of the clutch setup I have.
If you can, get one where the cable comes through the firewall, how the cable connects to the clutch fork (is it a threaded rod with two nuts used as an adjuster), and under the dash at the quadrant (it's on the brake pedal side and difficult to shoot, but helpful). Also, if you know the brand and model of clutch/pressure plate, that would be great.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427, 331ci, 4 spd, 3.55s
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on your new Cobra. Also own a red and white '88 NAF 427 w/ a small block, Toploader and 3.55s. Am using hydraulics rather than cable to actuate the clutch. It's stiff (HD clutch), but not too heavy. Seat tracks are a very good idea -- I'm 5' 10" and have to side down a bit to fully engage the clutch. Believe the NAF body will fit 6 footers comfortably.

As far as the year and sequence (or serial number) is concerned, I think the 4 digits prior to the B (the third to last digit) are the sequence number and the two digits after the B indicate the year (i.e.: 4XXXB88).

Dave
Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedog57 View Post
Congratulations on your new Cobra. Also own a red and white '88 NAF 427 w/ a small block, Toploader and 3.55s. Am using hydraulics rather than cable to actuate the clutch. It's stiff (HD clutch), but not too heavy. Seat tracks are a very good idea -- I'm 5' 10" and have to side down a bit to fully engage the clutch. Believe the NAF body will fit 6 footers comfortably.

As far as the year and sequence (or serial number) is concerned, I think the 4 digits prior to the B (the third to last digit) are the sequence number and the two digits after the B indicate the year (i.e.: 4XXXB88).
So I have 2026 then B88.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The car was off the lift so I couldn't get any pics. From what I can tell, its a straight line from the pedal to the cable and nothing else in between the firewall. From this pic you can see nothing but cable.

Last edited by Aedds; 05-20-2011 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: edit word